Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Media Memories of 2020

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
radioandtventhusiast

Re: Media Memories of 2020

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:48 pm

I really miss the Breeze. I only wish the playlist was larger. It absolutely stunk that Entercom had to fire staff right in the middle of their air shift so they could rush an "Alternative" station to the air, which almost has no relation to the old 89x. 100.7 the Zone in Toledo is more alternative than the new 98.7.

I also wasn't happy about 93.9 the River flipping to a CHR which probably won't be successful. The River was popular with listeners and Time Warp was a very niche show which played many songs most stations don't play. Ditto with the weekday Retro Lunch.

While this didn't affect Detroit all that much, I was not happy when IHeart fired even more local talent starting in January and continuing throughout the year, especially in middle and small markets. WIOT for many years was extremely local and active in the community. Instead of 25 years ago where they had 15 local jocks, they are now down to about 2, with one on Weekdays. Sister 92.5 KISS FM has about one local personality left too.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:52 pm

Face it...the days of the live and local (and somewhat well known) DJ are over...just like the days of the long playing LP. Half the time these guys don't have anyone in the building if something goes haywire.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:07 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:52 pm
Face it...the days of the live and local (and somewhat well known) DJ are over...just like the days of the long playing LP. Half the time these guys don't have anyone in the building if something goes haywire.
It's also potentially a safety risk too, what if there's a tornado and the technology messes up with no one in the building.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:40 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:35 am
Biggest memory:
The morons at Entercom firing its morning show, Kim Adams and others from 98.7 The Breeze right before Thanksgiving, as the station was playing Christmas music no less, in favor of a fake "alt" station that is destined for failure.

This is the second time in two years Entercom broomed airstaff and flipped formats during Christmas music marathons at 98.7 FM.

The Breeze was a moderately successful station that should STILL BE ON THE AIR!!!

20-somethings are NEVER going to come back to FM radio in droves. In many markets across the nation, CHR and Urban stations are losing AQH listeners hand over fist. Many such stations are currently witnessing their worst ratings, in 20, 30 or even 40 years. Many alternative stations had poor ratings prior to COVID; the pandemic turned an already bad situation worse. Hypertargeting millennials and/or younger listeners is a TERRIBLE strategy. An FM station needs to have a sizable cohort of listeners over the age of 35 to be successful, in my opinion.

David Field is a piece of human garbage. I'm rooting for his company to fail and for the creditors to fire him once the company falls into Bankruptcy.
PREACH, BROTHER!
The Breeze wasn't the best soft AC station in the world, but it was better than the alternative. (Pun not intended - or maybe it was.)

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:14 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:40 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Biggest memory:
The morons at Entercom firing its morning show, Kim Adams and others from 98.7 The Breeze right before Thanksgiving, as the station was playing Christmas music no less, in favor of a fake "alt" station that is destined for failure.

This is the second time in two years Entercom broomed airstaff and flipped formats during Christmas music marathons at 98.7 FM.

The Breeze was a moderately successful station that should STILL BE ON THE AIR!!!

20-somethings are NEVER going to come back to FM radio in droves. In many markets across the nation, CHR and Urban stations are losing AQH listeners hand over fist. Many such stations are currently witnessing their worst ratings, in 20, 30 or even 40 years. Many alternative stations had poor ratings prior to COVID; the pandemic turned an already bad situation worse. Hypertargeting millennials and/or younger listeners is a TERRIBLE strategy. An FM station needs to have a sizable cohort of listeners over the age of 35 to be successful, in my opinion.

David Field is a piece of human garbage. I'm rooting for his company to fail and for the creditors to fire him once the company falls into Bankruptcy.
PREACH, BROTHER!
The Breeze wasn't the best soft AC station in the world, but it was better than the alternative. (Pun not intended - or maybe it was.)
How would you have fixed 98.7? I personally would have added more songs, especially those from the 70's.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:57 pm

Well, let me toss this out there.

MW puts the age at 35. Okay, cool. I turned 36 yesterday. I grew up on 89x, 96.3 the Planet, 105dot1 The Edge, Today's Wheels, etc. What did those stations play? Spacehog, Superdrag, NIN, Green Day, Placebo, Offspring, Chili Peppers, Folk Implosion, Refreshments, Jane's Addiction, Soul Coughing, Fuel, blink 182...so why is it when we finally have a chance at something like that, they play rap music aimed at teenagers? God knows we have no shortage of rap stations, urban stations and boomer/butt rock stations...so why is it that those of us who are white males in their mid 30s to mid 40s get screwed? We're radio's last hope. If there is no programming for us, we will continue to stream. And they can fight it out with the other 6 guys playing GNR and worn out Metallica stuff ad naseum. ALT still has time to fill a major void in the market. Or keep competing with 95.5. It's your funeral. We'll just head over to Riff where they're at least trying.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:50 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:14 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:
Biggest memory:

PREACH, BROTHER!
How would you have fixed 98.7? I personally would have added more songs, especially those from the 70's.
They had absolutely no idea what they were doing, and didn't seem to care either. A monkey sounded like they were running it.
They started off with mostly songs from the 70's and 80s, then 2 months later dropped 90% of the 60s and 70's music, and added a bunch of 80s R&B songs that likely were meant for the HD2 channel, as they all vanished a month later, before settling on the "final playlist" that never changed again.
Yes, the same like 100 songs played everyday, in pretty much the exact same order, for a year and a half.

Music is my life.

blizzard

Post by blizzard » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:00 pm

89X turning Country
UGH !
:hat

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:21 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:
Biggest memory:

PREACH, BROTHER!
Absolutely agree on that point. And less Prince and Bon Jovi. I listened to 98.7 to get away from WNIC playing those artists. "When Doves Cry" and "You Give Love a Bad Name" are not "relaxing favorites." If you must play those two, how about some of their songs that actually fit, like "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" or "Always"?

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:58 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:21 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:
Biggest memory:

PREACH, BROTHER!
Absolutely agree on that point. And less Prince and Bon Jovi. I listened to 98.7 to get away from WNIC playing those artists. "When Doves Cry" and "You Give Love a Bad Name" are not "relaxing favorites." If you must play those two, how about some of their songs that actually fit, like "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" or "Always"?
Yeah, nothing relaxing like screaming vocals and guitars. I don't know why Jovi's harder hits are so commonly played on AC stations. The songs are tailormade for rock formats of any kind, classic, mainstream or active.

I know one user here thought Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" was not good for soft AC. I disagree, as I thought his voice, the guitar and the overall beat was relaxing.

At least Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Taio Cruz weren't played on there, compared to most other mainstream AC stations.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:58 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:57 pm

MW puts the age at 35. Okay, cool. I turned 36 yesterday. I grew up on 89x, 96.3 the Planet, 105dot1 The Edge, Today's Wheels, etc. What did those stations play? Spacehog, Superdrag, NIN, Green Day, Placebo, Offspring, Chili Peppers, Folk Implosion, Refreshments, Jane's Addiction, Soul Coughing, Fuel, blink 182...so why is it when we finally have a chance at something like that, they play rap music aimed at teenagers? God knows we have no shortage of rap stations, urban stations and boomer/butt rock stations...so why is it that those of us who are white males in their mid 30s to mid 40s get screwed? We're radio's last hope. If there is no programming for us, we will continue to stream. And they can fight it out with the other 6 guys playing GNR and worn out Metallica stuff ad naseum. ALT still has time to fill a major void in the market. Or keep competing with 95.5. It's your funeral. We'll just head over to Riff where they're at least trying.
Sadly, they don't care. I'm 37. They only care about Gen X and Gen Y. Millennials continue to get screwed when it comes to radio.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:10 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:58 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:57 pm

Sadly, they don't care. I'm 37. They only care about Gen X and Gen Y. Millennials continue to get screwed when it comes to radio.
Millennials are Gen Y

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:14 am

Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:58 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:21 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:
Biggest memory:

PREACH, BROTHER!
Yeah, nothing relaxing like screaming vocals and guitars. I don't know why Jovi's harder hits are so commonly played on AC stations. The songs are tailormade for rock formats of any kind, classic, mainstream or active.

I know one user here thought Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" was not good for soft AC. I disagree, as I thought his voice, the guitar and the overall beat was relaxing.

At least Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Taio Cruz weren't played on there, compared to most other mainstream AC stations.
That was me regarding Chris Isaak. Yeah, he would be good for soft ac, but I felt it didn't really fit in with the station's sound. It was almost too soft, and sounded awkward in between Crocodile Rock and Orleans' Still The One.
There were already a lot of complaints about the station "putting people to sleep". Chris Isaak certainly didn't help.

Also, that Bon Jovi song never played. They played "Never Say Goodbye" though.

Music is my life.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:45 am

Can we do a campaign to bring back 89x?

Country is okay.... but not my mainstay of music genre.

Not sure why someone thought we needed another Twanger.... when the one was plenty.... two... “too much” and now three? Yeah, no.

I miss a lot of the terrestrial choices.... now there isn’t much..... unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:14 pm

RayQix wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:45 am
Can we do a campaign to bring back 89x?

Country is okay.... but not my mainstay of music genre.

Not sure why someone thought we needed another Twanger.... when the one was plenty.... two... “too much” and now three? Yeah, no.

I miss a lot of the terrestrial choices.... now there isn’t much..... unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd personally prefer 93.9 the River to come back. 89X had bad ratings for the past few years and it seems like nostalgia is what caused a lot of buzz. The River had decent ratings in Windsor.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic