Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Numbers

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Ben Zonia

Numbers

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:34 pm

Where did WNIC's numbers come from? Everyone else?

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb011

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Chrocket87

Re: Numbers

Post by Chrocket87 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:59 pm

It makes sense. The other station playing Christmas songs foolishly changed formats halfway through the survey. Will be interesting to see what share they end up with in the Holiday book.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:39 pm

This one covered November 5th through December 2nd

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:42 pm

DRQ needs to flip honestly. Their 2 share ratings are getting really old. It's not even fun laughing at them anymore.

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:00 pm

Where did WNIC's numbers come from? Everyone else?
Pretty much; that's what normally happens this time of year.

The survey period included roughly two weeks of The Breeze and roughly two weeks of Fault 98.7.

When the Holiday book gets released in late January, I expect 98.7's numbers to fall below a 2 share.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

RadioRat

Post by RadioRat » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:21 pm

Anyone else surprised by WORDS good showing? Figured they would falter post election

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:04 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:42 pm
DRQ needs to flip honestly. Their 2 share ratings are getting really old. It's not even fun laughing at them anymore.
There isn't much for them to flip to, unfortunately. They can't go back to variety hits (whether that's "Doug" part 2 or "Jack"), and there isn't much else they can choose from. Can't do any form of rock, can't do rhythmic AC; they can't do much of really anything short of simulcasting 760 -- and that's if they do flip.

As much as I might hate it, 93.1 is probably going to stay country for at least the short term.

take this job and shove it

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:07 pm

Why not go back to Doug? I might listen then.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

RadioRat

Post by RadioRat » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:53 pm

I bet they would pull above a two share doing a Duke classic country format. Between the two Canadian options and WYCD there are too many current country stations on the FM dial.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:23 pm

As far as I remember, Doug FM's ratings were not bad. Cumulus just picked their lowest performing station to bring NASH to Detroit.
Why not flip back? Why not Soft AC or even Classic Hits, to compete with WOMC?
96.3 now a days is the farthest from away from a traditional AC that it's almost a different format, so there will be no self competition.

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:38 am

No one makes programming decisions off this book or the holiday book (other than the radio stations that spin Christmas music) due to the predictably abnormal results.

Doug FM's ratings floundered in its final 12 to 18 months on the air because Cumulus neglected the station, allowing it to grow stale. It was around a 2.2 or 2.3 in ages 6+ when the plug was pulled.

Earlier this year, New Country 93.1 was a top five station in females 25-54 and 18-49. I think abandoning Country would be a stupid move at this point in time, albeit not quite as stupid as Entercom flipping The Breeze to Alternative.

95.9 only pulls about a half share out of the Detroit market and 88.7 will probably be in that same ballpark now. The existence of those two stations should have zero bearing on format decisions on this side of the border.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:07 am

97.1 dropped out of the top 10 and behind WJR.
Since Valenti is the Matthew Stafford (quarterback) of the station I demand they trade...errr....fire him. 😁

I no longer directly engage trolls

scifi and horror

Post by scifi and horror » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:27 am

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:07 am
97.1 dropped out of the top 10 and behind WJR.
Since Valenti is the Matthew Stafford (quarterback) of the station I demand they trade...errr....fire him. 😁
Dropped out of the top 10 because WDMK-FM is listed for 7, 8, and 9.

option1

Post by option1 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:16 am

Some of you act like flipping a radio station is as easy as flipping pancakes. It’s a very costly and risky endeavor. And as we have witnessed over and over again in this market, if done haphazardly it’ll end up being a dog especially when faced with stiff competition. The last actual successful flip was The Bounce and they screwed that up by not being prepared for the impact the station would have on the market. They were the talk of not only the D but the entire industry. But they underestimated big time. It took them forever to staff up. They had a weak street presence. And the music got stale quickly. Honestly, it was sad to watch a station that should still be in the top 5 and #1 18-49 tank.

What kills me about the current state of head to head radio battles, like Nash vs. ‘YCD, is the lack of attention to detail and the unwillingness to make changes based on what should be obvious. A few tweaks here or there in talent, presentation, music, imaging, sound quality, might actually make your stick more competitive. There’s no need to flip a format. Sadly, radio programming has gotten lazy, stale, and downright awful.

Nash is better off staying the course and sticking to it’s mission of keeping ‘YCD in check and hoping for some luck from the radio Gods known as Nielsen. String a few surveys together and you never know.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:08 am

I've said it before here...there hasn't been an upstart in this market in a long time that has taken down the incumbent. Because of said lack of detail. They come on, play the same shit as the other guy, don't promote, don't spend, hang around or 2 or 3 share (at best), don't research...and then in 2 years, they repeat the process. With the stories I've heard about the WLLZ launch in 1980, I'd love to know more about it. And that WRIF podcast explains it better. Today? Just get the few ad dollars you can, clear a national show no one gives a fuck about, flip, rinse, repeat.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic