Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

97.1 Mornings...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
lidoshuffle

97.1 Mornings...

Post by lidoshuffle » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:29 pm

Jeff Riger is on, again..... :cry: all week, he does more time on the mornings than any of the full time personalities that work the morning drive there...let's go to WJR where Paul W. Smith is....oh wait he's out, all week, and monotone Mr. Excitement Kevin Deitz is in for Paul W, Detroit morning radio has so declined, at least for me, bring back Drew & Mike, JJ & The Morning Crew.... :x

JLesinski

Re: 97.1 Mornings...

Post by JLesinski » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:26 pm

Jamie's passing really left a hole in the 97.1 talent pool. There is simply no one else there that can fill that slot. John Jansen and Stoney are adequate at best and thats really the problem: the sum of two adequates is still only adequate. Riger does not help the situation. Stoney needs a top level talent as his partner or he is basically unlistenable.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:45 pm

That's usually my go-to station when in the car. I can't take more Queen or Bon Jovi (heard Aerosmith 6 times, and 3 of those times within 15 minutes of each other). One thing I can handle about 97.1 is that, at most, there's 3 voices, and that's enough for me. I hate those syndi shows where it's like walking into a party and trying to get caught up in who's who and what's what. Can't stand Bob and Tom, the Woody show, none of that. Jansen tries his best, and he can be good, but it's not the same. I would listen to Jim O'Brien, but again, it's the music. I like Riger, but after all this time, it still feels like he's trying too hard to be provocative. I see the Howard Stern theory is still at work.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:45 pm

97.1 is unlistenable in the morning. Haven't listened in the morning since Bill left.

I do enjoy Valenti when I catch him.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:04 am

I tried to listen to it a few times on a Monday after a Lions game this year and instead of Lions talk, I hear Heather talking about entertainment tonight headlines and Stoney commenting on them. Why is half the show literally Heather reading off internet headlines? Jay Towers and Bill McCalister had a better morning show than what’s on there now.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Jeff Rieger isn't good enough to do weekend overnights in Munising. Neither was Fithian, but he's gone now, isn't he?

Gertner

Post by Gertner » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:41 pm

He's the only one they didn't bring back

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:03 pm

I liked Fithian actually.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:13 pm

wtfdetroit wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:04 am
I tried to listen to it a few times on a Monday after a Lions game this year and instead of Lions talk, I hear Heather talking about entertainment tonight headlines and Stoney commenting on them. Why is half the show literally Heather reading off internet headlines? Jay Towers and Bill McCalister had a better morning show than what’s on there now.
Amen.
Every 15 minutes, they should be saying who won and lost the day before. Every 15 minutes. It's drive time. C'mon.

Yet time and time again, people post here on Buzzboard that they like listening to The Ticket in the morning. I don't get it. It's a sports station. "Oh, I like Stoney". What?

Say what you want about Valenti. Yes, he can drone on a little too long on one topic. And yes, he gets anal sometimes. Downright annoying . But it's all sports. What a sports station is supposed to be about. Sports.

Not what they ate for Christmas dinner or Christmas gifts they got. And I'll bet ya a coffee and donut that's what you hear about Friday morning.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:56 pm

The show's heritage wasn't sports though, to be fair. Bill and Jay were not breaking down tape.

Audacity sucks.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:01 pm

wtfdetroit wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:04 am
What else do you expect from the blonde bimbo hole (as Opie and Anthony called them)? Sounds as bright on the radio as she is as the “host” at Comerica Park...

krupper

Post by krupper » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:37 pm

I bounce around the radio dial on my way to work in the morning. I do listen to 97.1FM. Heather Park's news usually runs at 22 minutes past the hour for roughly 10 minutes. It may go a little longer, depending on the dialogue around the stories. They've reduced the time, in fact, from when the bit first started.

The news segment does not run half the show. There is far more time spent on speaking about University Michigan football, the Detroit Lions, other college football, the NFL Draft, and football betting lines.

Good, bad, or neutral, all other sports take a back seat.

And really, is the 97.1FM News segment any different than the stories heard on, say 104.3 FM, 94.7 FM, 99.5.FM, or most other commercial morning shows that are not NPR or CBC?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:23 pm

The "dick, dork, darling" format is still working for them. It's like, I can listen to Dave and Chuck, but that's another show with 5 or 6 voices happening. Granted, producers do speak, but they're not a constant on the show daily. 97.1 is usually still my 1st choice.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:59 am

And really, is the 97.1FM News segment any different than the stories heard on, say 104.3 FM, 94.7 FM, 99.5.FM, or most other commercial morning shows that are not NPR or CBC?
Do music-based morning shows even do routine "news" segments (other than traffic updates) during their morning shows anymore?

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

krupper

Post by krupper » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:08 am

It may not be packaged as 'News' on music-based shows. But the same topics/stories are talked about.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic