Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Dick Kernen of Specs Howard/WRIF Passes...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Trophyhead

Dick Kernen of Specs Howard/WRIF Passes...

Post by Trophyhead » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:09 pm

Seeing the social media posts in this regard, I was not a Specs graduate but see real grief from many who got their antennae tuned and succeeded, thanks to Kernen's effort and influence.

Through these messages of tribute, I learned of his efforts to take WXYZ-FM and make it into the 'RIF, long ago.

Good passage, Dick. A guy nice to anyone who was behind a mic or camera, regardless of whether they came from his school, or not.

Herm

Re: Dick Kernen of Specs Howard/WRIF Passes...

Post by Herm » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:37 pm

He was influential in my career and the career of many others in this industry. He always had time for grads and anyone else who might need a bit of advice or a pep talk. The effect he had on this market will not soon be forgotten. RIP Mr. Kernen.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:48 pm

Good ol' Uncle Kernen. With his "scooty wooties" and "get your poop in a group". Great guy. Called me the "local hero" because I was the first in my class to get an internship. Him and Tom Profit taught me more about being a smart ass than anything. The ORIGINAL WRIF PD. Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY knew Dick Kernen. And he was still in tune with radio.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

aaugusti

Post by aaugusti » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:48 pm

Man this is sad. I loved Kernan. When I started at Specs I had asked the advice of Larry Patton what to expect. He gave me some advice and then said “Tell Dick Kernan I said hello.” When I brought up to Dick that I knew Larry he stopped and said “there are a lot of people who claim they got screwed in our business, and Larry is one of the only ones that really did get screwed.” The best advice Dick ever gave me (and someone else on this board did the same) was that I was too talented for radio. It took me about 18 months but my calling took me back to finance. When I went back and visited Specs and sat down with Dick he told me that he was proud of me. That was the moment I appreciated him the most. He took someone who went off track and steered me back to the right direction, and never blew smoke up my ass. The world lost a good one.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:17 am

aaugusti wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:48 pm
Man this is sad. I loved Kernan. When I started at Specs I had asked the advice of Larry Patton what to expect. He gave me some advice and then said “Tell Dick Kernan I said hello.” When I brought up to Dick that I knew Larry he stopped and said “there are a lot of people who claim they got screwed in our business, and Larry is one of the only ones that really did get screwed.” The best advice Dick ever gave me (and someone else on this board did the same) was that I was too talented for radio. It took me about 18 months but my calling took me back to finance. When I went back and visited Specs and sat down with Dick he told me that he was proud of me. That was the moment I appreciated him the most. He took someone who went off track and steered me back to the right direction, and never blew smoke up my ass. The world lost a good one.
He did a Sunday morning show at one or two places I worked, or at least a place or two I might have been filling in for technical help. We'd have some great conversations and always seemed to be a caring good human being, with a streak of candor and honesty not usually found in radio circles.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic