Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Pretty cool. 7's Hally Vogel has a greenscreen at home

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
696lover

Pretty cool. 7's Hally Vogel has a greenscreen at home

Post by 696lover » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:36 pm

WXYZ's 4pm show was on during a long zoom. I look up and notice Hally has a green screen at home.

It shows a little because she only has one side monitor, but good for her.

km1125

Re: Pretty cool. 7's Hally Vogel has a greenscreen at home

Post by km1125 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:16 pm

Surprised you'd even need one anymore. Most of the remote video services support virtual backgrounds.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:01 pm

Are you sure her "home" isn't the greenscreen?

Music is my life.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:41 am

km1125 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:16 pm
Surprised you'd even need one anymore. Most of the remote video services support virtual backgrounds.
Virtual backgrounds with Zoom and others are really not all that great, as they attempt to separate the speaker from their natural backgrounds, which are usually uneven, too dark or heavily backlit. You will usually see giant blobs of black behind or impinging on the primary subject of a zoom speaker when the move their heads, as the built in background feature attempts to separate the two. In a family or workgroup meeting with gallery views, this is usually overlooked. Using it to put broadcast talent up on your 50 inch HD set is another story.
A green screen provides a constant background that the internal keying in the conference software uses to generate a proper "hole cutter" in which to insert a different background. Flat lighting on the green is important, as is keeping reflected green from spilling on to the edges of the foreground talent.
Vogel's setup seen yesterday was fair, but the lighting on her was not good. Her face was greatly overexposed and there was hot side light from screen left. Hopefully some tweaks will be done.
Unfortunately, bean counters and then COVID-19 have created an "it's good enough" culture, a backslide from years of improvement in "broadcast quality" video and audio,

rushbuzz1013

Post by rushbuzz1013 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:21 am

"Unfortunately, bean counters and then COVID-19 have created an "it's good enough" culture, a backslide from years of improvement in "broadcast quality" video and audio,"

Agree 100%.
I once had a respected video engineer say to me: "....we spent years trying to perfect television technology and you fuckers in Production constantly try to fuck it all up."

Fred

Post by Fred » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:10 pm

rushbuzz1013 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:21 am

I once had a respected video engineer say to me: "....we spent years trying to perfect television technology and you fuckers in Production constantly try to fuck it all up."
That is a true statement!

The problem with "home green-screens" is that they are cramming them into small rooms in the anchors house and relying on technology instead of proper engineering. Green-screens "flare" when the light from the screen reflects of off the green backdrop onto the subject. Distance, even lighting and cutting the light with minus green (amber gels) help solve the problem.

And yes, you tell a young producer that "we can make that happen" and said producer (or even talent) will come up with a 1000 other things to do. It is what made the industry fun. Stringing cable across Howard Street so that Sony Eliot could go live from the bar across the street as a "remote" will always be a WTF memory. (hint, it was out of necessity and hilarious ).

bjmcdevitt

Post by bjmcdevitt » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:33 pm

Nice to see WXYZ keeping up with 90% of YouTube and Twitch streamers.

Please look at my signature.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:36 am

I’ll say this..... they’re all doing a damn good job considering what all is going on

Do what ya have to In order to keep working and presenting the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic