Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

TV News Ratings November 2020

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
sinklair

Re: TV News Ratings November 2020

Post by sinklair » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:34 am

Circle 7 needs to clean house on its anchor team. The problem isn’t the news Director. The GM who stands in the way of these changes is also at fault. There is no direction, no vision.

696lover

Post by 696lover » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:55 am

If 7 gets the in studio girls in anything tighter, the dresses will explode like a sausage casing on the grill.

Doesn't seem to have helped ratings, though

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:40 am

696lover wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:55 am
If 7 gets the in studio girls in anything tighter, the dresses will explode like a sausage casing on the grill.

So do you think their ratings would improve if EVERYONE in front of the camera was a young bosom busting bubble butt that the guys going to work want to catch before they head out the door? Make sure you don't cover the boobs with the banner.

And McDreamy guys that all the young moms want to tune in for? I say this last paragraph because I do know 3 or 4 women who watch ABC evening news just because that anchor is "easy on the eyes."

Or go in the other direction. Go get some elder statesmen and women from other markets. Folks that have been in front of the camera since it had vacuum tubes. Give 'em more money than they are making in El Paso or Fargo. Would this sort of move make The Depends Crowd tune in to anchors they can relate to?

In my personal opinion, there's nothing a news director can do about low ratings until Broadcast House starts showing more news and less commercials. Watch 7 for an hour straight. They will do the news for a minute, do three minutes of commercials, come back for less than a minute, and go right back into 3 minutes of commercials. Who is going to sit through all that without reaching for the remote?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:36 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:40 am
696lover wrote:

So do you think their ratings would improve if EVERYONE in front of the camera was a young bosom busting bubble butt that the guys going to work want to catch before they head out the door? Make sure you don't cover the boobs with the banner.

And McDreamy guys that all the young moms want to tune in for? I say this last paragraph because I do know 3 or 4 women who watch ABC evening news just because that anchor is "easy on the eyes."

Or go in the other direction. Go get some elder statesmen and women from other markets. Folks that have been in front of the camera since it had vacuum tubes. Give 'em more money than they are making in El Paso or Fargo. Would this sort of move make The Depends Crowd tune in to anchors they can relate to?

In my personal opinion, there's nothing a news director can do about low ratings until Broadcast House starts showing more news and less commercials. Watch 7 for an hour straight. They will do the news for a minute, do three minutes of commercials, come back for less than a minute, and go right back into 3 minutes of commercials. Who is going to sit through all that without reaching for the remote?
When do they do that exactly?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:42 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
696lover wrote:

Looks only get you so far, but there's no question they **certainly** bring folks in the front door and give you a CHANCE to show you're worthy of keeping the viewers attention for the remainder of the show. NONE of the shows we have on right now have that ability. There might be one or two with 'eye candy' appeal, but the rest of the team makes you want to change the channel at the earliest opportunity.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:42 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:36 am
Mike Oxlong wrote:
If you're talking about what I left quoted, you must not watch that station before GMA comes on. All kidding aside. Like I said, sit and watch for an hour before 7am.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:51 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:42 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:36 am
Mike Oxlong wrote:
If you're talking about what I left quoted, you must not watch that station before GMA comes on. All kidding aside. Like I said, sit and watch for an hour before 7am.
That’s exactly when I’m not awake.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:58 am

Is that blowhard who bent over backwards to try to keep that sleazebag, Malcom Maddox, on the job still WXYZ's GM?

Is the same moron still forcing anchor talent to drive 17 miles from Southfield to downtown Detroit to anchor the 12PM news, or has Circle 7 finally done away with that idiotic concept?
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:29 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:58 am
Is that blowhard who bent over backwards to try to keep that sleazebag, Malcom Maddox, on the job still WXYZ's GM?

Is the same moron still forcing anchor talent to drive 17 miles from Southfield to downtown Detroit to anchor the 12PM news, or has Circle 7 finally done away with that idiotic concept?
Yes Mike Murray is still in charge... he’s been at 7 since 1982 or 83 for whatever that’s worth... so you need not wait too much longer.

Fred

Post by Fred » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:28 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
No, that was Ed Fernandez. Mike Murri started as GM after that "event"
Last edited by Fred on Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred

Post by Fred » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:42 pm

IIN4MU wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:55 am
From the "I'm Not Surprised" department, the Circle's stellar (cough) ratings performance of late has opened up the ND position at Broadcast House.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/ ... tor-is-out
re-read this in4mu, I would be curious to see who Scott Jones' sources are. The memo states that she decided to leave and agreed to stay until mid January. Scott credits "sources" to completely flip that narrative. Coincidentally , 2 days later the GM sent his weekly "Staying Connected" newsletter to the station that included this;

"NOVEMBER RATINGS HIGHLIGHTS

A H*** congratulations to our entire team for the strong ratings performance in November. WXYZ & WMYD had significant news share growth, year over year, in all of our November newscasts!

· 6AM Action News: 20% increased news share

· 7 Action News at 4PM: 14% increased news share

· 5PM Action News: 25% increased news share

· 6PM Action News: 15.7% increased news share

· 7PM Action News: 30% increased ratings growth

· 7 Action News 10PM on TV20 Detroit: 18% increased ratings growth

· 11PM Action News: 37% increased news share

Thank you for all your hard work and efforts! The ratings success in November is a total station collaborative effort!"

Maybe she needed to go and they canned her, but this looks like they asked her to stay. Regardless, good luck to her and I hope they get a game changer in next that keeps them heading in the right direction.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:17 pm

Fred wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:42 pm
IIN4MU wrote:
From the "I'm Not Surprised" department, the Circle's stellar (cough) ratings performance of late has opened up the ND position at Broadcast House.

re-read this in4mu, I would be curious to see who Scott Jones' sources are. The memo states that she decided to leave and agreed to stay until mid January. Scott credits "sources" to completely flip that narrative. Coincidentally , 2 days later the GM sent his weekly "Staying Connected" newsletter to the station that included this;

A H*** congratulations to our entire team for the strong ratings performance in November. WXYZ & WMYD had significant news share growth, year over year, in all of our November newscasts!

Thank you for all your hard work and efforts! The ratings success in November is a total station collaborative effort!"

Maybe she needed to go and they canned her, but this looks like they asked her to stay. Regardless, good luck to her and I hope they get a game changer in next that keeps them heading in the right direction.
This accounting of the ratings matches what we know publicly. They were up a bit at 2’s expense.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:17 pm

Fred wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:28 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
No, that was Ed Fernandez. Mike Murri started as GM after that "event"
Didn’t Fernandez get promoted?

Fred

Post by Fred » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:45 pm

Yes, to VP/Gm of something. I think outwest. Ed was in charge of Dave Manny and Tim Dye at XYZ.

Fred

Post by Fred » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:49 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:17 pm
Fred wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:42 pm
IIN4MU wrote:

This accounting of the ratings matches what we know publicly. They were up a bit at 2’s expense.
Yes, but still up. Significantly at 2's expense. So they must have fired her for ratings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic