Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

98.7 Alternative!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
scifi and horror

Re: 98.7 Alternative!

Post by scifi and horror » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:59 pm

I think all corporate playlist are narrowed down to about 250 permeant songs, and about 50 songs they rotate in for the month that get one or 2 plays a day. And it always seems like those 50 songs are the ones I want to hear the most, or give me hope that station is moving in the right direction, but it never does.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:59 pm

Still thinking we should've gotten an XRT clone -- but adjusted for Detroit -- if they really wanted to blow up the Breeze. Go ahead and throw your shoes at me, but I'd be more accepting of that than I currently am of "Not Even Alt 98.7".

It's been over a month, and it still sounds barely tolerable. Half of the "new music" sounds like horseshit, and the other half is only acceptable. Hell, I'm really only fine with the Billie Eilish tracks as far as their currents go (I like her stuff, alright?). Everything else is either "meh" or "OH FUCKING HELL MY EARS ARE BLEEDING"; very few currents are anywhere close to decent.

take this job and shove it

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:59 pm

I heard a promo about contest rules or something for the Breeze. Quality control.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

thatonedude

98.7 Alternative!

Post by thatonedude » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:05 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:I heard a promo about contest rules or something for the Breeze. Quality control.
Great operation they’re running over there. 🤦🏼‍♂️ How could they miss that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by thatonedude on Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:57 pm

Well, Goddamnit, we gotta load another rap song into the playlist!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:58 pm

Juice World?

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:58 pm

The station sounds terrible.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:00 pm

I couldn't believe that they played Post Malone the other day.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:09 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:58 pm
Juice World?
One artist who has absolutely NO goddamn business being on an alt station. Yes, it's terrible that he died, but his music still sucks.

Personally, I would rather stick a pencil up my ass than hear another rap song on 98.7. If I'm going to hurt that bad, I'm going to do it to myself. (With apologies to Mr. Lewis Black)

And I'm waiting for someone to call out how much of a hypocrite I am for being okay with Eminem or the Beastie Boys being spun on Alt, yet I won't stand for the new rap shit being played. I know it won't happen here, but yet I'm expecting it...

Also when they played Post Malone: was it "Circles"? That's the only song he has that's worth a damn...

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:17 pm

thatonedude wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:09 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:58 pm
Juice World?
One artist who has absolutely NO goddamn business being on an alt station. Yes, it's terrible that he died, but his music still sucks.

I would rather stick a pencil up my ass than hear another rap song on 98.7, because if I'm going to hurt that bad, I'm going to do it to myself. (With apologies to Mr. Lewis Black)

And I'm waiting for someone to call out how much of a hypocrite I am for being okay with Eminem or the Beastie Boys being spun on Alt, yet I won't stand for the new rap shit being played. I know it won't happen here, but yet I'm expecting it...

Also when they played Post Malone: was it "Circles"? That's the only song he has that's worth a damn...
I wasn't defending him nor attacking him. I wake up in the morning to my radio alarm. Couldn't believe he was on yesterday morning. Personally fine with it, but it doesn't belong there.

And they love that AJR "Bang", but it's kind of grown on me.

No, I like Eminem. He got his start on the 89X Homeboys Show anyways. He's not technically alternative, but he gets a Detroit pass. The Beasties Boys are alternative, so no one has any leg to stand on there. That said, this station loves RHCP FAR too much.

I am cool with Post Alone, but Circles isn't alternative. That's why I was shocked. It was Circles playing.

Audacity sucks.

thatonedude

98.7 Alternative!

Post by thatonedude » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:22 pm

I was a bit too hyperbolic there in my post, lol. I just don’t get the appeal of him honestly, even more so after his passing. Then again, I might be the only one in my age group who doesn’t care for any of the new rap artists; they just don’t speak to me.

As for Post Malone, I think Circles is his only charting hit on both Alt and AAA. Not entirely sure there, but I think it was, so they can keep that in rotation. Everything else he did can be dropped as far as I’m concerned.

AJR is fine as well. “Bang” isn’t that great of a song, but it’s tolerable. Them overdosing on RHCP is alright with me, as long as they go beyond the same five or six songs that are played.

As for Em, your reasoning is the same as mine: he’s from here, and any alt/new rock station launching here would be out of their damn mind to not play his stuff (as long as it isn’t only “Lose Yourself”).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:40 am

This sounds like it's turning into Amp Radio 2.0

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:28 am

No one in that building has a damn clue how to program a rock or alternative station, so they are using a copy & paste format developed by Mike Kaplan (who for some reason remains employed despite being format captain for a string of stations with terrible ratings).

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic