Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

RIP 89X

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
TC Talks

Re: RIP 89X

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:54 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:35 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:22 pm
I bet they're bringing Ohm FM back.
There would be considerable resistance to that
(somebody had to say it).
:lol

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:42 pm

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:13 pm

Haven’t been able to listen, but does anyone know what the promos for tomorrow sound like? Kinda curious...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:35 am

It is appearing increasingly likely one of the signals will be CHR/Pop as Virgin Radio; probably will sound very similar to 97.5 in London.

Of note, former 89X'er Heidi Baiden is the PD of the station in London. Like 89X, the station is owned by Bell Media.

Classic Hits appears likely for the other signal. Assuming that is indeed the format of choice, don't be surprised if AM 580 flips to Toronto-focused sports.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:36 am

I've probably tuned in more since the news came out than I've tuned in over the last 5 or so years.

I suppose it's kinda like Riff...there was always a comfort in knowing it was there. Like no matter what, 89x was still on. And they survived so many other rock stations over the years. Planet, WRIF, WLLZ, The Edge, K-Rock, Z-Rock, Alt 1067...and now it looks like the only station they can't beat is themselves.

Again, I guess I can't blame them for pulling the plug. They'll go stretches of music where everything sounds so generic, nothing really stands out. For a long time, even the jocks sounded "alternative". Phat Matt, Vince Canova, Cristina, Kelly Brown, Dave and Chuck...I'll never forget those 90s heydays. We used to just pop a tape in and hit record, let it roll, and God knows how many good tunes we'd discover. I wish we still had those tapes! I'll be on job sites all day, but I'll make it a point to be listening at noon.

As for 580, well, I don't get that out this way. Same with 800. So I'll need updates here at the board.

Party's over, guys. Time to go home.
Last edited by Mega Hertz on Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:40 am

To answer an earlier question - promos pre-recorded by J. Stevens are running on 89X after every third or fourth song teasing "what's next" for 89X at Noon today. Station has been jockless since at least yesterday afternoon, if not sooner.

Similar, 93.9 The River is jockless. That station is running similar promos, but they are voiced by professional V/O talent (sounds very different from the station's usual material), whose delivery is compatible with a CHR format. Like 89X, I've not heard any air talent on 93.9 since yesterday afternoon.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:47 am

MW-

In your more professional opinion (which probably varies from mine), which would you say is the bigger issue... The lack of good programming, the lack of management or the lack of dollars for these two circling the drain?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:07 am

580 still hasn’t changed anything about their website, but perhaps they don’t even care at this point. TSN radio airs some programming from ESPN radio, with no affiliate in Detroit that’s not an issue, but I wonder if it would be if they ever come back. This would be their first station in a market where there is no major league team of some sort. I just don’t see a point of a Toronto sports station in Windsor, knowing full well there are some fans of their teams there. I would assume they also talk Buffalo Bills, which of course isn’t of interest to Windsor. I only see this flip if one of the FMs does classic hits, and that’s only because there’s nothing else to put on AM.

Isn’t CKUE still classic hits? MW’s theory would put both stations directly in competition with Blackburn. The Detroit side is a non factor at this point.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:18 am

96.7 is a poorly programmed Hot AC. Not sure why people think it is CHR.

mikemach

Post by mikemach » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:32 am

szmigiel wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:54 pm
I tuned into the very 1st night of the Cutting Edge of Rock, where Greg St James took over the frequency with a much format change., then as the block became bigger and bigger, just in time for the Grunge explosion of the 90s. Then left the station behind when it started to become just another playlist driven post-grunge, nu-metal, and emo rock station. I am shocked it did last as long as it did.
I was driving in my car in 1990 (I think) listening to WRIF late at night. Greg St. James was wrapping up his shift and said something like "I'm leaving to pursue a new form of radio" and basically told the audience he was done at WRIF. He signed off by playing "I wanna be sedated" by the Ramones. I was a big 89X fan right from the beginning, but I have not listened in years. I remember Kelly Brown in the mornings amongst others and I think St. James was on mornings with her after they went full time 89X.

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:04 am

Former CKWW PD Charlie O'Brien posted on his Facebook yesterday that Bell cleaned house at Ouellette Avenue yesterday, save for AM 800.

The music director for AM 580 was let go, the only remaining staffer for that station.

Jack, Virgin, TSN, and/or country. Spin the wheel.

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:46 am

Do you think there will be a designated “final song” for the 89X format? Does anyone still bother to even think of that, or is corporate too busy running the thing on automation until it’s gone?

If there is a final song, predictions? “Closing Time” by Semisonic is a little too obvious and on-the-nose. Could be, but hopefully something cooler.

It sucks that no jock even gets to do a final sign-off these days.

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:51 am

Just throwing in my opinions for a loonie:

AM 800 talk format goes to FM. No music royalties. Can turn off or sell AM 800. Staff already in place.

AM 580 goes off the air permanently.

I was going to predict the oldies format goes to the other remaining FM frequency; but after seeing Charlie O’Brien’s post, I’m not so sure, now.

Side notes:
There is no permanent Leafs radio outlet in that region. CFCO would carry Leafs games at what seemed like random times.

Spitfires are on AM 800, I believe. Not all Spits games are broadcast.

Canada CRTC seems to be moving licensing away from AM. 540 is gone for good. And Radio 1 went to 97.5.

The closing of the Detroit sales office is a big indicator that Windsor stations are not focusing on Detroit at all.

I just can’t see a full time sports station in Windsor. Just not enough content.

With all this speculation, I’m tending to lean to what armchair wrote 70/30 stunt. However, the mass firings are suspect.

RDO

Post by RDO » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:12 am

Twitter account @VirginRadioWin has been registered, matching the naming format of other Virgin Radio twitters: https://twitter.com/virginradiowin

Same with Instagram @virginradiowindsor: https://www.instagram.com/virginradiowindsor/

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:16 am

Just noticed both station's websites and FB pages are gone. Or my Google skills suck, one of the other.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic