Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WDRQ must be making WYCD sweat

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

WDRQ must be making WYCD sweat

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:10 am

In a surprising move, WYCD has decided to hire a new lead for its morning show, returning it to a three person cast.

Evidently, someone decided Rachael & Grunwald wasn't good enough as-is.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1991 ... ning-show/

audiophile

Re: WDRQ must be making WYCD sweat

Post by audiophile » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:02 am

I doubt a good consultant would have recommended that.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:23 pm

How long until the midday experiment flops and Exitcom reverses course and puts live and local hosts back in the midday and evening slots?

deadend

Post by deadend » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:09 pm

Is Rachel that lady with the horrible plastic surgery that used to be on the morning show at WDRQ years ago? She used to laugh over every comment that was made on that show, like she had mental issues or something. God damn, her face is so messed up.

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:55 pm

deadend wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:09 pm
Is Rachel that lady with the horrible plastic surgery that used to be on the morning show at WDRQ years ago? She used to laugh over every comment that was made on that show, like she had mental issues or something. God damn, her face is so messed up.
That would be her. She's a cockroach, just like Jay Towers.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:26 pm

I guess it can be bothersome that someone could presumably be unpleasant in appearance, though in my opinion it's more annoying how they sound or contribute to, or detract from the patter and flow of the show.

Being from a point well outside the market, I used Google Images to get a look at Rachael, which brought to mind former Chicago White Sox, Cleveland and Yankees outfielder Walt "No Neck" Williams. Maybe it's the angle of the photos being taken.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:00 pm

WYCD is becoming more and more unlistenable. Their jingles are horrendous - they belong on a CHR station. But maybe they fit since very little of the music they play is country. DRQ is only slightly better musically, but they do appear to be more proactive in playing female artists, which is good when those females, like Maddie & Tae, Ashley McBryde, and Miranda Lambert are putting out some of the most "country" music on country radio right now.

Still would like an '80s-'00s throwback station, but thankfully I'm within listening range of Duke FM.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:56 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:00 pm
WYCD is becoming more and more unlistenable. Their jingles are horrendous - they belong on a CHR station. But maybe they fit since very little of the music they play is country. DRQ is only slightly better musically, but they do appear to be more proactive in playing female artists, which is good when those females, like Maddie & Tae, Ashley McBryde, and Miranda Lambert are putting out some of the most "country" music on country radio right now.

Still would like an '80s-'00s throwback station, but thankfully I'm within listening range of Duke FM.
I agree that YCD is awful right now. Almost all male artists are more pop, like Sam Hunt and FGL, although some artists like Jon Pardi and Luke Combs are still country. I do agree that female artists are sounding more country these artists, although some artists like Maren Morris are more pop.

I wish 93.1 would become NashIcon. It's mostly a decent format except it's still filled with some of the bro country artists. The one in Monroe sometimes goes from the Oak Ridge Boys to Jake Owen. It can be a trainwreck. It's like they're trying to appeal to everybody but few people are going to want to hear both old and new hits.

I've listened to Duke a few times and it's so much better. No bro country at all.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:25 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:23 pm
How long until the midday experiment flops and Exitcom reverses course and puts live and local hosts back in the midday and evening slots?
I can see Afternoons perhaps being local again, rather than the cut and paste YCD is trying to pass off as local currently.
Local Middays would be a long shot.
Nights: Never.
Local nights are all but extinct in just about every format.

option1

Post by option1 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:58 pm

IIN4MU wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:55 pm
[quote=deadend post_id=634140 time=<a href="tel:1602090545">1602090545</a> user_id=1088]
That would be her. She's a cockroach, just like Jay Towers.
[/quote]

Couple of real winners you two A-holes are. Of all things to discuss on a radio message board, you lowlifes have to discuss Rachels looks? I’m assuming I can find you two scum bags on the cover of next months GQ magazine? Probably no. More likely the cover of Mad magazine.

There’s a reason Rachel & Jay have been working in this market for 20+ years...they are professionals and very good at what they do. So, you two crumbs just continue to sit on your respective couches drinking Budweiser, eating Cheetos and watching reruns of Gilligans Island while Jay and Rachel continue their success in spite of haters like you two creeps.

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:10 am

I said nothing about her looks.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:43 am

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:56 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:

I agree that YCD is awful right now. Almost all male artists are more pop, like Sam Hunt and FGL, although some artists like Jon Pardi and Luke Combs are still country. I do agree that female artists are sounding more country these artists, although some artists like Maren Morris are more pop.

I wish 93.1 would become NashIcon. It's mostly a decent format except it's still filled with some of the bro country artists. The one in Monroe sometimes goes from the Oak Ridge Boys to Jake Owen. It can be a trainwreck. It's like they're trying to appeal to everybody but few people are going to want to hear both old and new hits.

I've listened to Duke a few times and it's so much better. No bro country at all.
Country music is awful right now for so many reasons, and that certainly isn't helping WYCD. But they haven't done themselves any favors by cheapening the talent pool.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:38 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:

I concur on Nash Icon. When I have Duke FM which is all the good throwback stuff, there's no need for Nash Icon where I have to sit through Sam Hunt to hear the good stuff. Not that I could listen to Nash Icon even if I wanted to, since WMIM is completely blocked by the "89.3 The Arbor" translator in Chelsea and WDRQ-HD2 reception is virtually nonexistent here.

I recall a while ago WRCI in Three Rivers, which had been airing Westwood One's Classic Country format (which is also excellent), switched to Nash Icon. Listeners must have complained because after maybe a year it went back to WW1 Classic Country.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:39 pm

SolidGoldDancers wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:43 am
ChrisWL1980 wrote:

Country music is awful right now for so many reasons, and that certainly isn't helping WYCD. But they haven't done themselves any favors by cheapening the talent pool.
You are certainly right about that!

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:59 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:38 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:

I concur on Nash Icon. When I have Duke FM which is all the good throwback stuff, there's no need for Nash Icon where I have to sit through Sam Hunt to hear the good stuff. Not that I could listen to Nash Icon even if I wanted to, since WMIM is completely blocked by the "89.3 The Arbor" translator in Chelsea and WDRQ-HD2 reception is virtually nonexistent here.

I recall a while ago WRCI in Three Rivers, which had been airing Westwood One's Classic Country format (which is also excellent), switched to Nash Icon. Listeners must have complained because after maybe a year it went back to WW1 Classic Country.
In Toledo, 103.7 has had a classic country format for over a year now, and they don't play any newer songs and only concentrate on true country songs. I prefer them slightly over 98.3 even though 98.3 has better reception in the city. Unfortunately, 103.7 is contractually obligated to both run the Bobby Bones morning show and his countdown show, which doesn't fit the main format.

Muskegon used to have a niche format called 92.5 the Outlaw. It joined the Nash Icon feed the day it launched. The new format wasn't well-liked by fans of the Outlaw.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic