Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLEN's Koehn Buys Crosstown WABJ/WQTE

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
EdWalker

WLEN's Koehn Buys Crosstown WABJ/WQTE

Post by EdWalker » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:41 am

For assumption of debt $600,000. Filed 9/29

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.ex ... 0200928ABY

fuzzpower

Re: WLEN's Koehn Buys Crosstown WABJ/WQTE

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:30 am

The filings claim Adrian is a nine station market, and Koehn would only own three. That’s a stretch- one of them is a college station on a commercial frequency, one is WJR which doesn’t really care about Lenawee County, W4 in Ann Arbor doesn’t target it either, the others are rimshooters serving the Toledo market.
This is essentially a monopoly on a small market.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:01 am

If it keeps signals/formats the Tri-State people want in place, and some on-air jobs going, what's the harm?

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:09 am

There is no harm since no one else stepped up (or met the asking price). I’m just pointing out how this would be a monopoly.
I haven’t been to Adrian in a while and none of their signals reach my area. Does WABJ have a translator? If so, I could see a format flip. I can’t imagine 100% talk off the bird gathers much in the way of ratings or revenue.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:52 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:09 am
There is no harm since no one else stepped up (or met the asking price). I’m just pointing out how this would be a monopoly.
I haven’t been to Adrian in a while and none of their signals reach my area. Does WABJ have a translator? If so, I could see a format flip. I can’t imagine 100% talk off the bird gathers much in the way of ratings or revenue.
WABJ does not have a translator last I checked. WLEN has one for their HD2.

Speaking of WLEN, are they at reduced power or something? I haven't been able to pick them up in northern Washtenaw County for close to a week - it's been all WRSR. Normally I get a mix of both.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:02 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:52 pm
fuzzpower wrote:

Speaking of WLEN, are they at reduced power or something? I haven't been able to pick them up in northern Washtenaw County for close to a week - it's been all WRSR. Normally I get a mix of both.
I'm wondering the same thing. Usually I can pick them up in Toledo, albeit semi-weak, but for the past few weeks I haven't been able to pick it up on my Bose Wave Radio III or my father's Toyota Sienna.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:45 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:02 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:52 pm
fuzzpower wrote:

I'm wondering the same thing. Usually I can pick them up in Toledo, albeit semi-weak, but for the past few weeks I haven't been able to pick it up on my Bose Wave Radio III or my father's Toyota Sienna.
I just messaged the station about it and they replied they are on reduced power because of equipment upgrades and hope to be back to full power by Friday.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:51 pm

Hopefully it gets fixed soon. When WLEN plays music, the playlist is actually fairly unique.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:00 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:51 pm
Hopefully it gets fixed soon. When WLEN plays music, the playlist is actually fairly unique.
They even support local artists. Even their Christmas music playlist is surprisingly listenable, because they go beyond the iHeart/Townsquare 150-song corporate playlists I hear on the other AC stations. And Friday Flashbacks has an impressive variety of deep oldies too. They have their critics for their sloppy automation and unpolished sound, but I hear a lot more heart and soul there than I do on any Detroit station.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:30 am

I agree, WLEN does have one hell of a playlist. It's like a coked-up Jack, which isn't a bad thing...and I kinda like their raw, unpolished sound. Adds to the charm.

take this job and shove it

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic