Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jamie Samuelsen

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
armchair pd

Re: Jamie Samuelsen

Post by armchair pd » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:13 pm

deadend wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:46 pm

Bill McCallister was puke garbage.
:lol Still is.
But had it been him that passed I wouldn't post that. Not cool.
There are plenty of people still alive we can roast.
Didn't know Jamie well, but always was kind and we had mutual respect for each other.
I feel horrible for his family.
God speed.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:34 pm

I never meant to insult Jamie. Sorry if it came off that way.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:05 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:10 pm
Sounded like a good dude, sad for the kids! Too bad it couldn't have been Stoney. That creepy fuck makes me think he has some skeletons in his closet.
I wouldn't say that about anybody, but you have to wonder what will appear on the gravestones of some people:

Stirred up more unnecessary anger than anyone else (Mike Valenti)
Spent more time on non-sports talk than anyone else (Karsch and Anderson)
Sounded more inane than anyone else (Bob Wojnowski)

And last but not least...

I Did It My Way (Ron Cameron)

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:56 am

I'm from Canada. (Pat Caputo)

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:44 am

No matter how much we dislike someone....

Wishing harm on them is never ever good.

Ever.

I dont like some folks on my radio.... and prefer they not be there.

They don’t get welcomed into my house.... or car.... because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scifi and horror

Post by scifi and horror » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:52 am

If I am not a fan of someone on the talk radio, I just don't bother to listen. I don't wish them ill will or harm on them.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:45 pm

Jamie Samuelsen remembered as 'genuine and real' by loved ones

Jamie Samuelsen was a stickler for the details, big and small and in between — and right down to when People magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive" issue would come out each year.

"Without fail each year, Jamie would intercept it at the mailbox, print out a picture of himself and past it on top of the body of whoever was on the cover," wife Christy McDonald said.

"He'd hide it in the mail stack for me to find, with a sticky note attached.

“Won it again!”

Samuelsen, the longtime Metro Detroit sports-talk radio host who died Aug. 1 at 48, was remembered for his kindness, humor, intelligence and fierce loyalty to friends and family during a 90-minute funeral service Tuesday at Holy Name Catholic Church in Birmingham.

The service was attended by dozens of family and friends, and, amid the COVID-19 pandemic, live-streamed to an audience in the hundreds and potentially thousands from around the country, given Samuelsen's many impactful stops, in California (youth), Chicago (he attended Northwestern) and Detroit.

Samuelsen spent more than 25 years in the Detroit sports scene, on radio and TV, and in print.

"This will hurt for a long, long time, for a lot of people," Detroit News columnist Bob Wojnowski, Samuelsen's former co-host at 97.1 The Ticket, said during his eulogy. "And I suppose the heartbreak is the price we pay for the joy he brought.

"Eventually those pages of pain will peel away and we'll get back to telling all our favorite stories and laughing again.

“He was a wondrous soul.”

Wojnowski (wearing a tie; Samuelsen would always rib him out never wearing a tie, occasionally asking if he'd wear a tie at his funeral) recounted numerous stories from his friendship with Samuelsen, which dates to when Samuelsen arrived in Detroit in 1994 and they worked together at 1130 The Fan. Many were heartbreaking, like their last visit, July 28. Many were humorous, like when Samuelsen would bring his kids to one of their shows and they'd have tomato races — peeling the tomatoes off the sub sandwiches Samuelsen had purchased, and flinging them against the glass partition to see which would win the race to the bottom.

Wojnowski and the kids would laugh and cheer till the finish.

Samuelsen, well, about that attention to detail ...

“Jamie," said Wojnowski, "was already over at the cubicle window cleaning it up.”

Wojnowski and McDonald, both choking up, gave Samuelsen's eulogies, with Wojnowski sharing several of the hundreds of emails he's received — many of whom never met Samuelsen, but only knew him from the radio, "a carpool buddy for 20 years."

Wojnowski also continued Samuelsen's final cause, urging people to get colonoscopies, even before the previously recommended age of 50.

Samuelsen was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer at age 47, in January 2019, and died at 48.

Samuelsen and McDonald's oldest daughter, Caroline, 16, read the prayers for the faithful during the traditional Catholic mass, but did a little rewrite for the ending.

“I OK'd this with Monsignor," Caroline said. "For a winning season for the Detroit Lions, the Cal Bears and the Northwestern Wildcats, for my dad, we pray to the Lord.”

Samuelsen grew up in California, outside of San Francisco, before heading on to Northwestern, where he earned a degree in communications.

He joined startup WDFN The Fan in 1994, first as an update guy, then quickly became an on-air host.

Samuelsen was on air at The Fan from 1994-2007, and then The Ticket from 2012 until his death, working alongside hosts like Wojnowski, Mike Stone, Greg Brady and Gregg Henson, among others.

Since his death, the tributes have poured in, by the thousands, overwhelming Samuelsen's family. Wojnowski said he's received hundreds and texts and emails, and thousands more tweets. The tributes have come from every range, from loyal listeners to high-profile people throughout the area and even the country.

"Radio was fun for him. Who you heard was exactly who he was," McDonald said. "And he counted himself lucky in a business that was often fraught with ego and craziness. He worked hard to land where he did.

"It has been overwhelming to see and hear how much you loved him, too.

“How much he touched your life, too.”

McDonald, who met Samuelsen when she was a producer at Fox 2 (she's now a reporter and anchor for Detroit's PBS affiliate), liked to call her husband "The Mayor," because he was the person everyone gravitated to at every event, whether a small family gathering, swim club or a Little League baseball game.

She said he also was the family photographer, always cherishing the moments at home, or on vacation. He loved to put together slide shows. He loved family nights, often with a game, even if it meant turning off a big sporting event. Memories mattered to Samuelsen, more than any professional achievement or stardom, the latter which he never sought.

“Our party of five that were his world," McDonald said of Caroline, Josh (14) and Catherine (11), but also not forgetting dog Tate. "His reason for being.”

Samuelsen also could talk about pretty much anything, particularly baseball, but also history, politics, "even musical theater," McDonald said. "He was truly interested." He was an Eagle Scout. Each week, he'd finish the New York Times crossword.

Samuelsen first revealed publicly July 27 on the air that he had been battling colon cancer. He spoke with a shaky voice, but insisted he wasn't saying his goodbyes, though close friends suspected otherwise.

Samuelsen never wanted to go public throughout the whole ordeal — which included traveling throughout the country seeking second and third opinions, as well as chemotherapy, or "drip, drip days," as Samuelsen and Wojnowski called them — because he didn't want to be treated differently. He never did ask, "Why me?"

He also thought, at least until the very end, that he was going to beat the disease, which never did take two of his most defining characteristics: his hair or his heart.

"Genuine and real, that is the good Jamie," said Tom McDonald, Samuelsen's father-in-law, who opened the Mass, the altar lined with elegant white flowers and a small black-and-white picture of Samuelsen, as understated as he was. "He was genuine, and he was real.

“Goodness. That is how the good Jamie will be remembered.”

McDonald has said the family eventually plans to hold a bigger, public celebration of Samuelsen's life at some point, and that will be complete with lots of his favorite things, including good jokes and good gimlets.

Tuesday's service was quaint in comparison, officiated by Monsignor John P. Zenz, pastor at Holy Name. Samuelsen was baptized after meeting McDonald, around the same time a young Caroline was baptized.

Samuelsen took his faith seriously.

And his priorities — often when Wojnowski would ask about grabbing a beer, or a burger, or a coffee after a show, Samuelsen usually had something else to do, and it almost always family related. But when you really needed Samuelsen — who also worked alongside Wojnowski on Fox2's "SportsWorks" Sunday night roundtable and the network's Lions pregame coverage — he was there, without fail.

“You only get a few rocks and pillars, people who make you wobble when they're gone," Wojnowski said. "That was Jamie for a lot of us, for his family, for me, the strongest rock and best friend I've ever had.”

Said McDonald: "His example of kindness and goodness should be the norm, not the exception. I love you Jamie. Until we meet again."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 345096001/

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:51 pm

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:01 pm

Thank you for sharing that!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:21 pm

Jamie's daughter prays for Lions at his funeral/Jeff Seidel (Free Press)

Tributes pour in for beloved sports talk radio host

Jamie Samuelsen used to intercept the magazine at the mailbox.

It was People magazine's “Sexiest Man Alive” issue.

He would print out a picture of himself and paste it on the cover, right over whoever had won that year. Then, he'd hide it in a stack of mail, leaving it for his

wife, Christy McDonald, to find.

“Won it again!” he'd write every year on a sticky note.

“That was our Jamie,” McDonald said during her husband's funeral on Monday afternoon at Holy Name Catholic Church in Birmingham.

Samuelsen, a beloved sports radio host in Detroit, died Aug. 1 from colon cancer at the age of 48.

“It was a clever sense of humor and a lightness that endured him to me and so many people,” said McDonald, the anchor of PBS's “One Detroit.” “I used to call him the mayor,

the mayor of our swim club, of a party, of the parents' section at baseball game - anything. He put people at ease. They gravitated towards him because he didn't take himself seriously. And, of course, he talked about anything. Sports, of course, baseball in seriously excruciating detail. But history, politics, even musical school theater - don't get me started on his high school theater career.

“But he was truly interested. And he always made the people he was talking with feel important. While he made a living talking, he was a true listener.”

Samuelsen's funeral was just like how he sounded on the radio. It was smart, funny, genuine, filled with great stories and a strong undercurrent of love and family.

“He was an Eagle Scout,” said Tom McDonald, his father-in-law. “An Eagle Scout represents the highest of achievements, and that is symbolic of Jamie's life.”

The funeral was kept small and private because of the coronavirus pandemic. But it was streamed online.

“A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent,” Tom

Mc-Donald said. “Doesn't that sound just like Jamie?' Christy McDonald promises a H*** party to come.

“In the future, we'll have a big public celebration and raise many gimlets in his name,” she wrote on Twitter. “Hold you family tight. Enjoy the sun. Tell a joke. Thank you for loving us.”

Over the last week, tributes have poured in from across the country.

Listeners have broken down on the radio, talking about him. He touched the lives of thousands and left behind three children: Caroline, 16; Josh, 14; and Catherine, 11.

“When you look at Christy, Caroline, Josh, and Catherine - and everyone from both families - you see so many pieces of Jamie in them and pieces of them in Jamie,” said Detroit News sports columnist Bob Wojnowski, his close friend and partner for years on radio and television. “I think this is how goodness is passed on and why Jamie will always be remembered.”

In lieu of flowers, the family encouraged donations to Colorectal Cancer Alliance or Paltown.

“Life is a gift,” Christy McDonald said. “Youth is a gift. Our friends

are a gift. Our children are a gift. Our health is a gift. We spend so much time fretting over things that really don't mean much, instead of looking at the gifts that we have right here today. That is what Jamie and I learned over the past year and a half. That is why he fought every day. And he hoped and he prayed, because he wanted to live today forever with the people he loved the most. I know he is here right now. I know it. I feel it. I saw it when the sun came up. And he lives on his amazing children.”

One of those children, Carolyn, read a list of prayers: for those who suffer with chronic illness, depression, and anxiety; for the doctors and nurses who care for them; and for everyone to have kindness.

But she added one last kicker, something that would have brought a smile to Jamie's face.

“I know my dad is here right with us right now,” Carolyn said. “And he also want us to pray for two more things. And I OK'd this with monsignor.”

Her voice was strong and assured, just like her parents.

“For a winning season for the Detroit Lions, the Cal Bears and the

Northwestern Wildcats - for my dad,” she said, “we pray to the Lord.”

“Lord, here our prayer,” the congregation said.

It was touching and beautiful, fun and full of hope. A glass half full.

And it was so Jamie Samuelsen.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:36 am

;,-( very heartfelt.

Once again.... like so many others... the world was better to have them In it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomSanders

Post by TomSanders » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:10 am

Okay, I get it. Great guy . . . but, at a time when everything has been cheapened and devalued, when Attila the Hun would be eulogized as someone who only wanted to give back to his community, shouldn't the outpouring of sentiment be viewed in the context of its time? I mean . . . only one person I know of comes close to Jamie Samuelson, and He died on a cross 2000 years ago, :)

"Sentiment is the working off of yourself of feelings you don't really have." DH (Designated Hitter) Lawrence wrote that a hundred years ago and, if things were bad then, imagine what they''re like now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic