Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Palace explodes

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
thekman

Re: Palace explodes

Post by thekman » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:32 pm

Editorcj wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:01 pm
The airport is where it's at and the only competition is Toledo and Flint. The Palace was easily accessible to maybe 10% of the metro Detroit population and had the newer LCA, centrally located, competing for shows, events and paying spectators. Sadly looks like LCA will be shuttered for a while.
The Palace was not centrally located to the region as a whole, but it was rather well-located in terms of (cheap land) which was close enough to large amounts of people with disposable income. Upper middle class (Rochester, Oakland Township), plus Troy and northern Macomb County, etc. All of the suites were sold to the plethora of Oakland County automotive suppliers. The Palace, combined with Pine Knob concert season, gave us phenomenal season sales. Even during Piston down years.

Tom Gores managed to lose 75% of the season and corporate sales in about 3 years. It was his team that thought it was smarter than everyone else. Tom Wilson knows how to make money running that arena. Tom Gores knows how to make lots of money destroying things piece by piece.

If Mrs. D held on to the arena, or if Illitch had bought it as was originally expected, I’m fairly certain the Palace would still be doing well. In Illitch’s plan, the Pistons would gave gone downtown, but concerts would still be at the Palace today. As long as TW could run that place, it could make good money. Tom Gores just chose to make money a different way.

sirrealone

Post by sirrealone » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:39 am

Karen Davidson was an awful owner. She had absolutely no interest in the team whatsoever. She penny pinched that team into nothing. She wouldn't let Dumars spend any significant money. Now, Gores does spend money, but spends it very foolishly. I'm not sure one is really better or worse than the other.

Also, part of the agreement for the Pistons moving was that they had to shutter the Palace. Having another venue siphoning off revenue from concerts and such was a non-starter for the agreement to have the Pistons move in. I don't think any owner would have been able to circumvent that. My guess is that it was probably that agreement which caused Oakland University, who expressed interest, in backing off. The university basketball games and school events would not have been able to come close to matching the costs necessary to maintain the facility. They would have had to generate additional revenue, but that non-compete agreement was transferred as part of any sale, so OU or really anybody else had no option to keep the building as it was. Demolition was the only option.

It sucks that the Palace had to go. Having lived in Northern Macomb or southern Oakland counties my entire life, I definitely enjoyed the convenience. I haven't set foot in LCA and have no plans to. That has nothing to do with the location as we go to games downtown all the time (or used to anyways). I won't go because of the bait and switch, where they Illitch family promised a vibrant district surrounding the arena, yet all we have is parking lots. That's embarrassing to the city.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:04 pm

...as opposed to the next-to-nothing Palace, which, in almost 30 years in business, generated virtually no momentum in development around it. The landfill next door was pretty indicative of the interest in that area - drive in and drive out. Every effort went into the retail in and around Great Lakes Crossing instead.

I enjoyed the Palace during its' time, and am sorry to see a building in that good of condition tossed away, but there was nothing else to be done there. The people in charge saw to that.

DAC

Post by DAC » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:14 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:57 am
DAC wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:32 am
Matt wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:48 pm
Lucky615 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:44 pm
Matt wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:30 pm
No, you were serious. The "Detroit Bullshit" and tear the Motown museum make it pretty clear...
Matt take your meds.
Delete your account like you always do. Who would seriously admit to living in Southgate?

I agree. Take your meds, you stupid fool.
Good one, racist child.
You are clearly so dumb that I have to spell it out for you. "Detroit Bullshit:" Driving and parking in Detroit are giant pains in the ass, hence being bullshit. The Palace had no such bullshit. Plenty of parking and right on I 75. "Motown Museum:" Something that many people would be offended at if it was called "just a building." You are so small minded that you didn't get it. The Palace was more than "just a building" to many, much like many other landmarks in Detroit (like the museum). So stuff that up your ridiculous ass, and try putting a little thought into what you read and how you respond. Idiot.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:26 am

Is the Pontiac Silverdome gone for good? Did it finally exploded?? Does anyone know what is going in there next??

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:33 am

In December of 2017 The Silverdome was imploded, (I saw it from my building.) Their wasn't enough explosives the first time so they had to do it twice, (they are still laughing about that one.) In its place is some kind of distribution / meeting center that is half built, (the trucks cause a lot of traffic problems on Opdyke.) Maybe someone else can provide more details about the new building.

I agree that a building like The Palace should have a longer lifespan than 30 years.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:36 pm

OK thanks!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic