Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Palace explodes

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Editorcj

Re: Palace explodes

Post by Editorcj » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:51 pm

Same can be said of Detroit Metro Airport for folks who live in northern and central Macomb County, St. Clair Shores, Roseville, Rochester Hills, Waterford, etc.
I think the difference is that if you have to take a flight to get to where you are going, you have to drive to the airport. You never have to go to a game or a show.

DAC

Post by DAC » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:14 pm

Editorcj wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:53 am
Yes, it makes me sad, it was a beautiful building and I have a lot of great memories there. I worked there in the mid 90's before moving on to 7. It was a great experience for a guy in his 20's and I still have friends from that time that I see at other venues and events.

The only thing wrong with the Palace was the location. I live in Oakland county and it was a pain in the ass to get to and leave, for those who live downriver, western Wayne or Grosse Pointe it had to be a nightmare. At least for me I can get downtown and park and be in the arena in a half hour and home even a little quicker after a game at LCA.
From any point north, it was easy and fantastic to get to. None of the Detroit Bullshit you have to deal with downtown. I think the shame of it, though, is that it was such a relatively young building. On the bright side, though... Maybe if stadiums and arenas only last 30 years now, that shit hole known as Comerica Park only has a few years left.

For the idiot who keeps saying "it was a building," perhaps we should tear down every mother fucking piece of history that exists. Maybe start with that Motown museum! Then people like you will be happy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:32 pm

DAC wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:14 pm
Editorcj wrote:
Yes, it makes me sad, it was a beautiful building and I have a lot of great memories there. I worked there in the mid 90's before moving on to 7. It was a great experience for a guy in his 20's and I still have friends from that time that I see at other venues and events.

The only thing wrong with the Palace was the location. I live in Oakland county and it was a pain in the ass to get to and leave, for those who live downriver, western Wayne or Grosse Pointe it had to be a nightmare. At least for me I can get downtown and park and be in the arena in a half hour and home even a little quicker after a game at LCA.
From any point north, it was easy and fantastic to get to. None of the Detroit Bullshit you have to deal with downtown. I think the shame of it, though, is that it was such a relatively young building. On the bright side, though... Maybe if stadiums and arenas only last 30 years now, that shit hole known as Comerica Park only has a few years left.

For the idiot who keeps saying "it was a building," perhaps we should tear down every mother fucking piece of history that exists. Maybe start with that Motown museum! Then people like you will be happy.
Nice racist response. You're pathetic.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

696lover

Post by 696lover » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:13 am

Detroit Metro was planned as the major airport from the 1930s, when the land was purchased and it was turned into Romulus Field. At the time, no one expected the events of the 1960/70s would cause a large portion of the productive people to move north from the city and the inner suburbs.

By taking tax money away from the school kids the billionaire sports team owners can easily build a stadium/arena over two blocks of land.

You can't easily seize one and one half mile square of property to make a new airport. Then add in every landowner nearby who will sue over the expected noise.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:41 pm

696lover wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:13 am
Detroit Metro was planned as the major airport from the 1930s, when the land was purchased and it was turned into Romulus Field. At the time, no one expected the events of the 1960/70s would cause a large portion of the productive people to move north from the city and the inner suburbs.

By taking tax money away from the school kids the billionaire sports team owners can easily build a stadium/arena over two blocks of land.

You can't easily seize one and one half mile square of property to make a new airport. Then add in every landowner nearby who will sue over the expected noise.

Near by? I'm over 20 miles as the planes fly from DTW and they're still annoying. An A320 a mile up in the air is still very loud.

They won't be moving any airports around here.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:01 pm

The airport is where it's at and the only competition is Toledo and Flint. The Palace was easily accessible to maybe 10% of the metro Detroit population and had the newer LCA, centrally located, competing for shows, events and paying spectators. Sadly looks like LCA will be shuttered for a while.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:37 pm

The airport is in a great location. Can't think of a better spot, situated between downtown and Ann Arbor, where a majority of travel through the airport is headed to.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

DAC

Post by DAC » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:18 pm

Matt wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:32 pm
DAC wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:14 pm
Editorcj wrote:

Nice racist response. You're pathetic.
It's not racism, you dolt. It was sarcasm.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:30 pm

No, you were serious. The "Detroit Bullshit" and tear the Motown museum make it pretty clear...

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:44 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:30 pm
No, you were serious. The "Detroit Bullshit" and tear the Motown museum make it pretty clear...
Matt take your meds.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:48 pm

Lucky615 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:44 pm
Matt wrote:
Matt take your meds.
Delete your account like you always do. Who would seriously admit to living in Southgate?

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:10 pm

696lover wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:13 am
It was a Wayne Country project, so it wasn't going to be located in the northern suburbs.

According to the Detroit Free Press, 9/29/28, the Wayne County airport location at Middlebelt and Goddard was chosen by the Wayne Country board of supervisors over Southgate area locations at Allen and Eureka, King and Allen, and Pennsylvania and Allen.

"The main argument In favor of the site finally selected was its price. With the exception of site 13, which was considered too small to be used as an A-l-A airport, number 16 was the cheapest site offered. It came approximately $900,000 below the estimate for site number 2. Several persons pointed out that the $2,000,000 already appropriated for the airport was "for the acquiring of a site," but the majority seemed to feel some of the appropriation should be used for equipping the airport."

It turned out to be a good choice for the Ann Arbor/Dearborn/Detroit I-94 corridor.

https://www.newspapers.com/image/97664162 (pay site)

DAC

Post by DAC » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:32 am

Matt wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:48 pm
Lucky615 wrote:
Matt wrote:
Matt take your meds.
Delete your account like you always do. Who would seriously admit to living in Southgate?

I agree. Take your meds, you stupid fool.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:57 am

DAC wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:32 am
Matt wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:48 pm
Lucky615 wrote:
Matt wrote:
Matt take your meds.

I agree. Take your meds, you stupid fool.
Good one, racist child.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:38 am

SolidGoldDancers wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:41 pm

.... They won't be moving any airports around here ....
This may not be true. It's only in the "pondering" stages now. A friend that lives near London (Ont) told me there are very informal talks about building an airport along the 401 after the Gordie Howe is up and running.

If so, they should do it right. Back in the 70's, a city councilman (it might of still been township trustees back then) proposed that any vacant land in Romulus be re-zoned non residential. It didn't go over well with the rest of the council. Romulus wouldn't be dealing with as many noise complaints if they had listened to him.

If they do replace the iconic Windsor Airport with a big new place between Windsor and Chatham-Kent, I think it would be a good idea to do the same. If they let subdivisions get built near the new airport, you know down the road, those people living there will be shedding tears about the noise.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic