Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WOMC 90s Music - my additions

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 15342

Re: WOMC 90s Music - my additions

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:28 am

If I was programming WOMC, I seriously would be rid of the 90’s and 00’s and go back to 60’s,70’s and 80’s Classic Hits. To cover 5 Decades of music is a stretch.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:07 pm

Lucky615 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:28 am
If I was programming WOMC, I seriously would be rid of the 90’s and 00’s and go back to 60’s,70’s and 80’s Classic Hits. To cover 5 Decades of music is a stretch.
I can not agree more.
The problem is, advertisers don't really care.
"50s and 60s music is for the 55+ crowd only. What, you disagree? La la la, I can't hear you"
But go on YouTube and look up all the big big 60s hits, and the comments are almost all kids.
So that proves it is complete and total ignorance to think the way these advertisers think.
I was listening to Runaround Sue the other day, and man, these teenagers were just loving it in the comments.
I even saw a comment from a guy name shaming some "thot" at his school from Detroit. Lmao

Funny thing though, I found an Entercom classic hits station last night doing just that. And there was quite a lot of late 60s music too. But there was also 90s music..including rap. Very strange.

Music is my life.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:07 am

Some of the softer songs on your list are in rotation on 98-7 The Breeze. For example, "Baby Baby" was played just this evening. I wouldn't expect to see a lot of those softer AC titles make it to 104.3's rotation though, especially as long as The Breeze is still around to handle the softer side of '80s-'00s pop. I don't think M.W. has to worry about Celine Dion ever being added to WOMC's playlist. :lol '

The direction I would expect WOMC to go in is adding more of the '90s and early '00s music that mainstream AC stations are already playing - Destiny's Child/Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, Britney and the boy bands, Alanis, Third Eye Blind, Sheryl Crow and other modern AC/pop-alternative acts. Eventually that music will grow too old for mainstream AC's demos just like a lot of the music that was actually played on AC stations at the time (Celine Dion, most of Mariah Carey's catalog, Michael Bolton, Toni Braxton, Gloria Estefan, Josh Groban) already has (more and more of that music is now showing up on adult standards formats like America's Best Music). I think we'll be seeing more crossover between WOMC and the Bounce in the future - maybe not 2Pac and Biggie (can't rule it out though), but maybe Beyonce and even Eminem.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:31 am

Entercom might just dump WOMC as we know it and do something different. Look at 104.3 in Chicago.
Terrible comparison.

104.3 in Chicago was barely a top 20 biller as Classic Hits and was losing ratings ground to direct competitor, 94.7 WLS-FM.

104.3 in Detroit is a top 5 biller and has been for many, many years.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:20 am

Why would they dump Classic Hits? They have been consistently in the top 5 for years.

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic