Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Lima/Lima

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SolarMax

Lima/Lima

Post by SolarMax » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:32 pm

It's still fun to call out incorrect place name pronunciations by those who should know better.
Loco4 11p Sat., Priya Mann reporting on a homicide-related event connected to "LEE-ma" Ohio, with mention of the "LEE-ma" police. Lima (Lee-ma) is the capital of Peru. Lima (LiME-a) is the town in Ohio, not far away.

Ben Zonia

Re: Lima/Lima

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:28 am

There’s Clio that they call “Cleo”.

There used to be a Friday Night Football Scoreboard Show on WJR, and they had an announcer from Ohio who used to mispronounce numerous city names in Michigan. Wisconsin town names are difficult, though if you have friends and relatives there for a long time, you get used to certain patterns. Think Mukwonago. I don’t wanna go to Mukwonago.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:54 am

[quote="Ben Zonia" post_id=614001 time=1592724530 user_id=3304]
There’s Clio that they call “Cleo”.

There used to be a Friday Night Football Scoreboard Show on WJR, and they had an announcer from Ohio who used to mispronounce numerous city names in Michigan. Wisconsin town names are difficult, though if you have friends and relatives there for a long time, you get used to certain patterns. Think Mukwonago. I don’t wanna go to Mukwonago.
[/quote]

Do you want to go to Oconomowoc, (it's about 30 miles West of Milwaukee. Me and my brother went their with our grandparents in 1976.)

696lover

Post by 696lover » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:12 am

About 10 years ago there was a school district the state was closing up near Bay City. The NAACP and black politicians were calling Synder a racist because it was all black, so it was on the news a lot.

It is spelled Buena Vista but pronounced boon-ah vis-ah. those were some funny reports by people just in from Nevada and Florida stations

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:45 am

696lover wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:12 am
About 10 years ago there was a school district the state was closing up near Bay City. The NAACP and black politicians were calling Synder a racist because it was all black, so it was on the news a lot.

It is spelled Buena Vista but pronounced boon-ah vis-ah. those were some funny reports by people just in from Nevada and Florida stations
I made that mistake my first night on the air in Saginaw. Phones lit right up.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:54 am

Interesting. I never knew that about Buena Vista until now.

In the 70's, we would go up north on our Vacation, and we always lunched at the Big Boy on M-46, in Buena Vista (sorry...Boona Visa) on the way up.

In those days, I only got to eat at a restaurant about three or four times a year.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:09 am

Buena Vista Township was aptly named. Buena Vista is Spanish for "Good View", in case you didn't know. When it was farms, you could see across the entire township at 5 feet above ground level. It's basically flat as a pancake, and only a few feet above Lake Huron level. If you drive there, you'll see that ALL the section line roads have drainage ditches on both sides, at least in the rural parts. Otherwise, there's only one place for the water to go, into the clay soil.

So originally, it was the Spanish pronunciation.

Hasta La Vista!

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:50 pm

We have two right here in Washtenaw County that non-locals often get wrong. Saline is pronounced "suh-LENE" (as in the Anglicized pronunciation of "Celine (Dion)"), not "SAY-lene" as in "saline solution." Milan is "MY-lan," not "Mih-LAN" as in the city in Italy.

I imagine "Char-LOTTE" instead of "CHAR-lotte" (as in Charlotte's Web) is another one that gets newcomers.

I used to subscribe to a streaming service that offered CBC North (the television service covering the far northern territories). I noticed the meteorologist (who I assume was located in Toronto or Montreal) occasionally mispronouncing some of the indigenous city names, like "Iqaluit." That would be as much of a challenge for a newcomer as those city names in Wisconsin. (Incidentally, Jane Wiedlin of the Go-Go's is from Oconomowoc.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic