Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

There's a moderate risk of severe weather today, and...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

There's a moderate risk of severe weather today, and...

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:22 am

...surprise, surprise!

The NOAA weather radio station serving the Metro Detroit region is out of service yet again:
The Detroit NOAA Weather Radio station KEC-63/162.550 MHz in Southfield, Michigan is currently off the air due to a communications issue. An estimated restoration time is currently unknown as the cause remains under investigation. Please ensure you have multiple alternative ways to receive NWS warnings.
I've had one cell phone network reception loss in the past decade.

NOAA Weather Radio transmitters are down constantly - often multiple times over the span of a year.

I wish people like Ben Bailey would stop touting NOAA weather radio as a primary method of receiving weather warnings. It should be Plan B or Plan C. Cellular networks not named Sprint are much more reliable!

Deleted User 15342

Re: There's a moderate risk of severe weather today, and...

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:03 am

The government needs to shut down weather radio it’s now a waste of money. Everyone one has a cellphone and internet for weather and emergency info and when the cell towers quit you can always depend on AM and FM radio for information, time to defund NOAA radio.
Last edited by Deleted User 15342 on Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:04 am

Local meteorologists can't issue there own warnings, so the phase according to National Weather Service is appropriate in that instance.

Local meteorologists can provide greater detail than NWS during a storm. Once the NWS warning is issued storm heading data can become stale.

Maybe local meteorologists should be able to issue warnings?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

deadend

Post by deadend » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:39 am

During storms, power can go out. If power goes out cell towers and your streaming data service to your phone will be out as well. With National Weather Service radio their lies a stream of information over radio waves. They make crank powered radios to pick up weather radio and last I checked there weren’t any crank powered mobile Internet services.

deadend

Post by deadend » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:40 am

And if we got rid of local meteorologists, we wouldn’t have that creepy loser Derek Kvera with his cringe inducing mannerisms and town creeper grin on his face to look at 🤮

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:19 am

There is power loss at NOAA transmitter sites or other maintenance issues much more often than cell phone outages.

No power at home? Most people have USB ports in their car, which can be used to recharge their phones.

I cannot think of one instance ever where I had no power *prior* to a big storm moving in.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:44 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:22 am
...surprise, surprise!

The NOAA weather radio station serving the Metro Detroit region is out of service yet again:
The Detroit NOAA Weather Radio station KEC-63/162.550 MHz in Southfield, Michigan is currently off the air due to a communications issue. An estimated restoration time is currently unknown as the cause remains under investigation. Please ensure you have multiple alternative ways to receive NWS warnings.

NOAA Weather Radio transmitters are down constantly - often multiple times over the span of a year.

I wish people like Ben Bailey would stop touting NOAA weather radio as a primary method of receiving weather warnings. It should be Plan B or Plan C. Cellular networks not named Sprint are much more reliable!
NOAA WX radio is a mess. I'd bet the gear in that rack looks like stuff from 1975. NOAA isn't going anywhere. It's too intertwined with the ridiculous EAS. Better stock up on duct tape and bailing wire. :rolleyes

Don't be too hard on Sprint. They are the only cell network with a generator at every single cell site. With Verizon or AT&T, that's not the case.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:40 pm

https://twitter.com/BluewaterPower/stat ... 53/photo/1

And both sides of the border will get it. Expect power outages.

deadend

Post by deadend » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:51 pm

So all the NOAA stations are out? I can usually pick a few of them up and they all seem to be out of commission.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:11 pm

It's just as bad on this side of the border, too... a quarter of Canada's doppler weather radar sites are "not operational" right now, and I have no idea why.... the following sites are down: Exeter, ON (north of London), Montreal River (north of Sault Sainte Marie), Schuler, AB (near Medicine Hat, AB), Strathmore, AB (near Calgary), St. John's NL, Alderwood, BC (between Vancouver and Abbotsford in the lower mainland) and Villeroy (near Trois-Riveres, half-way between Montreal and Quebec City)...

https://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:14 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:44 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
...surprise, surprise!

NOAA WX radio is a mess. I'd bet the gear in that rack looks like stuff from 1975. NOAA isn't going anywhere. It's too intertwined with the ridiculous EAS. Better stock up on duct tape and bailing wire. :rolleyes

Don't be too hard on Sprint. They are the only cell network with a generator at every single cell site. With Verizon or AT&T, that's not the case.
I have never seen a Sprint site with a generator. On the other hand I have never seen site Verizon one without, even though I'm sure they do exist.

Verizon does not allow any maintenance before 11pm. The tower crews have to work nights.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:53 pm

deadend wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:39 am
During storms, power can go out. If power goes out cell towers and your streaming data service to your phone will be out as well. With National Weather Service radio their lies a stream of information over radio waves. They make crank powered radios to pick up weather radio and last I checked there weren’t any crank powered mobile Internet services.
That’s what good old AM and FM radio is for. Always on always there and always free, no need for a internet connection or a data plan. Now weather radio on the other hand is not dependable and lately it’s never on, most of the 1000+ transmitters are not maintained and many are old and need replacement, weather radio was a great idea 60 years ago but this is 2020 and I just don’t think most people even know it exists.
Last edited by Deleted User 15342 on Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:03 pm

audiophile wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:14 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:44 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
...surprise, surprise!

I have never seen a Sprint site with a generator. On the other hand I have never seen site Verizon one without, even though I'm sure they do exist.

Verizon does not allow any maintenance before 11pm. The tower crews have to work nights.
Gee, my heart bleeds for the chumps who work for Verizon. How silly of me. :rolleyes

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:06 pm

There was a time, not long ago when I could easily hear the environment Canada broadcasts here at Quarton & Telegraph. Now, I can only pick them up at our place on the St. Clair River, where Canada is a stone's throw away from our deck.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:22 pm

Michigan Weather Radio via Michiguide

http://www.michiguide.com/weather-radio/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic