Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Nielsen May 2020

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Ben Zonia

Nielsen May 2020

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:44 am

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Nielsen May 2020

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:41 am

Cume is still down a good 35% to 45% from normal levels for most FM stations. 97.1 The Ticket is down about 50% from normal. Ditto 104.3.

93.1's AQH share has surged over the past couple surveys. Their 3.9 is the all-time best for 93.1 as a country outlet. Will be interesting to see if that trend holds as normal listening habits resume.

http://www.stationratings.com/sr_ratings.aspx?market=11

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:11 am

WOMC is sucking could they eventually completely change to something else they seem to be adding more 90’s and 00’s in their playlist.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:16 am

Interesting.
Lucky615 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:11 am
WOMC is sucking could they eventually completely change to something else they seem to be adding more 90’s and 00’s in their playlist.
Doubtful anybody changes anything until things settle way down ie: people start commuting, sports play-by-play comes back, etc.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:29 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:41 am
Cume is still down a good 35% to 45% from normal levels for most FM stations. 97.1 The Ticket is down about 50% from normal. Ditto 104.3.

93.1's AQH share has surged over the past couple surveys. Their 3.9 is the all-time best for 93.1 as a country outlet. Will be interesting to see if that trend holds as normal listening habits resume.

I know Cumeless won't spend the money to do it, but they should bring in Chuck Edwards and Rene Vitale and put them on the afternoon drive and middays respectively. They have a real opportunity to take out 99-5 YCD (belch) with how poorly that station is being programmed lately. It is utterly stunning to see how bad Entercom has butchered what was once one of the best stations in town, with a great live & local airstaff, in 99.5 WYCD.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:25 am

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:29 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:41 am

I know Cumeless won't spend the money to do it, but they should bring in Chuck Edwards and Rene Vitale and put them on the afternoon drive and middays respectively.
No they shouldn't.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:10 pm

Other than being cheap and not wanting to pay the guy, why wouldn't you want someone like Chuck Edwards if you're the PD at 93.1? Chuck Edwards and the late Linda Lee were one of the top rated afternoon drive shows for over a decade in this market. Additionally, until recently, I believe Chuck was pulling in good ratings in the mornings as well with Rachel Hunter and Steve Grunwald. Edwards is a seasoned veteran and entertaining radio talent who can fit in with the stations "New Country" direction better than the current talent they have. You'd rather have Bru (whoever he is) on from 3-7 than someone like Chuck or even Rene Vitale, or Chuck & Rene together?

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:09 pm

Cheap?
Reality check sport, other than maybe Hubbard or Bonneville, NO radio group has got money for anything.
They're cutting jocks, not hiring them.

IFart just extended their furloughs through the year, and Cumulus will most likely follow suit.
Ad revenue vanished in March, and so did a lot of businesses that use radio. Like Art Van, and that was before Covid.
It'll hit Michigan worse thanks to Big Wretches' draconian lockdown.

With respect to Chuck; great talent, and by all accounts great guy, but he belongs on a heritage station, you know, like WY.uh...995 YCD WAS but abandoned?
He doesn't belong on a station targeting Millennial and Gen Z women.
Renee is decent, but bombed on 93-1.
They most likely won't touch anyone associated with the mess that was Nash, and, by the look of numbers, don't need to.
Next.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:16 pm

Well stated. I agree completely. Renee didn't sound very good on 93.1. In general, she is a utility player at best.

Chuck Edwards would be a poor fit for the image 93.1 is trying to project.

93.1 just overhauled its on air lineup and is seeing success. To do another overhaul now would be idiotic.

A live and local show at night would be nice but will never happen. Cumulus voicetracks or airs syndie content in that shift at almost every station it owns.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:52 pm

If WRIF was smart, they'd hire Drew Lane for mornings, Ken Calvert for middays, Arthur P for afternoon drive and Steve Kostan for nights. Maybe Karen Savelly for late nights.

Sorry...I just wanted to put up my own illogical fallacy.

Anyway, Valenti has been must-listen radio for me for the last couple of months. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly confident I've been hearing fucking PSA's in afternoon drive. That is nuts! No Art Van, no sports...how in the hell can they afford Valenti's contract?!

Music radio is still mostly off limits. I'm just not interested in what the library formats are offering these days. I did hear a Days of the New cut on Wheels the other day, but they segued into a burnt out 70s cut...and back to 97.1 for me.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:26 am

Even SAGA is making widespread cuts. That's a rarity for them!

Hubbard was mentioned earlier. They laid off a ton of folks 30 to 45 days ago.

696lover

Post by 696lover » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:00 am

I don't care about pro sports, and once cars started talking to ipods (now phones), playlists and podcasts started making a lot more sense than most drive time stations ("One of my co hosts is a girl. Harhar. The other coworker can't pick up a girl. harhar" Play two songs off a 20 song rotation. Repeat).

Now I have waze for driving. If I cared about pro sports there are podcasts.

Wonder how many other people will realize radio is not needed for their drives

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:51 am

Why would Renee want to waste her amazing talent on Gnash FM and their 75 listeners?
(To be fair, the ratings have gone up, but I feel it's temporary)

Music is my life.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:18 am

I would submit that the numbers we've seen in the last two books are probably pretty close to an accurate representation of the people actually listening to radio pre-pandemic.

The stations that seem to have taken the biggest hit are those that are on in retail establishments, offices and the like. If you're having your teeth worked on and WOMC is on somewhere in the dental office. are you really listening to WOMC? When you stop into the local hardware store to buy a thing-a-ma-jiggy to fix your toilet, are you paying attention to commercials, etc. on the radio station they have on? The PPM thinks you are.

Personally, I think the diary system was a much more accurate count of people actually LISTENING to a radio station than what is in place today. Could be just because I'm a codger and far from "woke."

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:25 am

Bryce wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:18 am
I would submit that the numbers we've seen in the last two books are probably pretty close to an accurate representation of the people actually listening to radio pre-pandemic.

The stations that seem to have taken the biggest hit are those that are on in retail establishments, offices and the like. If you're having your teeth worked on and WOMC is on somewhere in the dental office. are you really listening to WOMC? When you stop into the local hardware store to buy a thing-a-ma-jiggy to fix your toilet, are you paying attention to commercials, etc. on the radio station they have on? The PPM thinks you are.

Personally, I think the diary system was a much more accurate count of people actually LISTENING to a radio station than what is in place today. Could be just because I'm a codger and far from "woke."
Both are flawed.
PPM measures actual listening; i.e.your good examples of walking into a store etc.
It's software, it's doesn't measure on content you may like or hate.
Diary measures preferred listening: The content you do love or hate. You write down your favorite station even if you haven't listened in months.
Where it got really murky is you'd forget what you've actually listened to recently, I do. I can't remember every station I listened to this week.
So you just write down your favs anyway.
Or you'd get say, and 30 year old man who may LOVE WNIC or say The Breeze, but would NEVER admit it.
So he'd write down The Ticket or WRIF because that's what his buddies listen to.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic