Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Protests coverage

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Fidem Scit

Re: Detroit Protests coverage

Post by Fidem Scit » Sat May 30, 2020 1:43 pm

jsf wrote:Some called them Protest's, others call them Riot's.
EXACTLY! Rioting and looting and burning down a neighborhood is not a protest.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat May 30, 2020 3:51 pm

jsf wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:12 pm
Some called them Protest's, others call them Riot's.
If you willfully damage property and injure people, it's a riot. If you come from out of town or out of state with the intent to hurt, break and steal, it becomes terrorism.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat May 30, 2020 4:20 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:51 pm
jsf wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:12 pm
Some called them Protest's, others call them Riot's.
If you willfully damage property and injure people, it's a riot. If you come from out of town or out of state with the intent to hurt, break and steal, it becomes terrorism.
And that terroristic nature is why I think it could quickly become shoot to kill tonight or tomorrow night.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Sat May 30, 2020 6:27 pm

Fidem Scit wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:53 am
Is there no longer room in our society to have two thoughts in your head at the same time?

Can people despise and demand action against unjust police killings perpetrated on non-violent, unarmed black men while also thinking it's wrong to burn down businesses, loot and destroy communities as a form of response and protest?

I understand the outrage and the clear sense of "the straw that broke the camel's back". But stealing literally everything out of a Target store does not seem to align with steps towards progress, nor does not say "I'm pissed off about the police killing black men". It more seems to say "I want free stuff and I'll disguise the theft as a protest".

George Floyd was killed in cold blood. The perpetrator is in custody and facing charges. Perhaps not enough charges. I hope the three other involved officers face some significant charges soon. I vigorously hope there is criminal justice, civil justice, and social justice. I equally hope for reform of some sort to help stop this pattern.

However, I don't understand how burning cars, a Wendys restaurant, stealing literally everything out of Target, grabbing electronics, booze, and everything else helps the cause.

God help any of us who might find ourselves or our loved ones uninvolved in the crime, but in the path of this destructive behavior disguised as a protest. I know several small business owners personally. They work hard to support their families and to contribute to the community. I pray nothing ever happens to them like what we're seeing happen to some small businesses and large businesses across the country these past couple days.

Has this become an unpopular opinion? I see so many people advocating and supporting the looting and violence these past couple of days.

Maybe this doesn't belong here. If so, I apologize, but this is a necessary conversation that has to be had somewhere.

If I'm wrong, and all of these violent acts are legit civil protests, please explain. I promise to keep an open mind.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Sat May 30, 2020 10:05 pm

ABC is now providing live network coverage across the country, no tape delay, LA residents giving the ABC reporting the finger - getting very ugly very fast. The opportunistic people coming from out of state to make these protests into riots is a scary thing going on- a 3rd party to piss off the first two parties.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat May 30, 2020 11:07 pm

Fidem Scit wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:53 am
Is there no longer room in our society to have two thoughts in your head at the same time?

Can people despise and demand action against unjust police killings perpetrated on non-violent, unarmed black men while also thinking it's wrong to burn down businesses, loot and destroy communities as a form of response and protest?

I understand the outrage and the clear sense of "the straw that broke the camel's back". But stealing literally everything out of a Target store does not seem to align with steps towards progress, nor does not say "I'm pissed off about the police killing black men". It more seems to say "I want free stuff and I'll disguise the theft as a protest".

George Floyd was killed in cold blood. The perpetrator is in custody and facing charges. Perhaps not enough charges. I hope the three other involved officers face some significant charges soon. I vigorously hope there is criminal justice, civil justice, and social justice. I equally hope for reform of some sort to help stop this pattern.

However, I don't understand how burning cars, a Wendys restaurant, stealing literally everything out of Target, grabbing electronics, booze, and everything else helps the cause.

God help any of us who might find ourselves or our loved ones uninvolved in the crime, but in the path of this destructive behavior disguised as a protest. I know several small business owners personally. They work hard to support their families and to contribute to the community. I pray nothing ever happens to them like what we're seeing happen to some small businesses and large businesses across the country these past couple days.

Has this become an unpopular opinion? I see so many people advocating and supporting the looting and violence these past couple of days.

Maybe this doesn't belong here. If so, I apologize, but this is a necessary conversation that has to be had somewhere.

If I'm wrong, and all of these violent acts are legit civil protests, please explain. I promise to keep an open mind.
I agree very well said.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

DAC

Post by DAC » Sun May 31, 2020 12:24 am

David Custer from WNEM in Saginaw made a facebook post where he referred to them as "riots" (saying that if you disagree with the riots, you are racist). He later changed it to say "protests." That's the coverage you can count on if you head north on 1 75.

riggs

Post by riggs » Sun May 31, 2020 1:31 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:34 am
What amazes me is the PD seems very focused on the person who busted out the windows of the police cruiser ("we know who you are, and we will find you"), but what about the fucking person who shot into the crowd and killed a 19-year old? Isn't that a little more important?!?!

Dozens upon dozens of cops in the streets, and no one was able to get the damn license plate number of the Dodge Durango from which the gunfire came?!?!
Because it was one of their own who did it.....................

Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

DAC

Post by DAC » Sun May 31, 2020 4:13 am

riggs wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:31 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:34 am
What amazes me is the PD seems very focused on the person who busted out the windows of the police cruiser ("we know who you are, and we will find you"), but what about the fucking person who shot into the crowd and killed a 19-year old? Isn't that a little more important?!?!

Dozens upon dozens of cops in the streets, and no one was able to get the damn license plate number of the Dodge Durango from which the gunfire came?!?!
Because it was one of their own who did it.....................
Do you have proof of that?

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun May 31, 2020 12:09 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:46 pm
Fox 2, by far, did the best job. We even heard an F bomb from a Fox 2 reporter, on live TV
TC Shuts Up wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:59 am
Two words. Digital Delay. Used to be a seven second tape delay.
It was after 10PM outside the watershed, so saying f- and s-words is okay after that time.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun May 31, 2020 12:12 pm

DAC wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:24 am
David Custer from WNEM in Saginaw made a facebook post where he referred to them as "riots" (saying that if you disagree with the riots, you are racist). He later changed it to say "protests." That's the coverage you can count on if you head north on 1 75.
Protests are carrying signs, saying slogans, marching up the street and having sit-ins -- all for a cause.

Riots are willfully conducting mass vandalism, damage, injuries and even death -- whether there's a cause or not.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun May 31, 2020 12:15 pm

On a side note, I wonder how channel 50 will be covering the riots, if they extend into Monday?

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Sun May 31, 2020 12:23 pm

Has anyone from Mr. Floyd's family stepped forward and called for an end to this insanity? I've had to turn off all media it was breaking my heart so may have missed it.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Sun May 31, 2020 1:13 pm

With hot weather moving in by Tuesday with near 90 degrees and Wednesday 87 degrees this could get interesting this week. Just found out there is a curfew starting at 8 tonight until 5 in the morning for Detroit.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun May 31, 2020 6:51 pm

Has anyone from Mr. Floyd's family stepped forward and called for an end to this insanity? I've had to turn off all media it was breaking my heart so may have missed it.
Yes, they have, although I don't know if any family members have appeared on camera.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic