Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

More From The WWJ History Card

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
innate-in-you

Re: More From The WWJ History Card

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:57 pm

CK-722 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:59 am
I did remember that it was just 500 watts when it began, but I didn't realize that WNZK had changed TL early on like WBRB did. I remember that WMZK 97.9 had just become WJLB shortly before that, but WCCW-FM 92.1 Traverse City had taken the call letters WMZK, so the 690 became WNZK instead of playing games to get the call letters back, which has become common. Remember when 1220 in Cleveland became WHK for a while, and then had to go through a very involved series of call letter changes to get WHK back on 1420? I imagine that Ted Alexander figured out how to do that. But all in all, call letter rules, especially back then, were kind of silly. They had to change the rules due to the "call letter shortage" created by all the new stations.
Around the time all this was happening, one Cleveland area station changed their call to WKNR. This seemed very odd, as "Keener 13" never had a usable signal in the Cleveland market, and Cleveland had no memories of WKNR. (Though it did gave a good daytime signal in Port Clinton).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic