Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

President Schlissel just might’ve caused an uproar

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Matt

Re: President Schlissel just might’ve caused an uproar

Post by Matt » Tue May 26, 2020 6:13 pm

Keep in mind, Schlissel has said frequently that he's optimistic that on campus instruction will happen this fall. The angle of the WSJ article is somewhat misleading.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:41 pm

I think it's a power play (bring the kids back to school or else) as much as it is politics. People don't get to be presidents of big universities without knowing how to play the game.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue May 26, 2020 9:06 pm

I believe that college football will happen this year without fans or if there are fans 20K or less just my opinion plus SEC will play no matter what as they have been saying.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Tue May 26, 2020 9:53 pm

Does it really matter? We know it’s going to be Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and another SEC team. It’s the most predictable sport. Worse than the NBA

696lover

Post by 696lover » Wed May 27, 2020 7:27 am

We already know what happens. The suburb of Oak Park (in between Southfield and Ferndale) has a large black and Hasidic population so they blocked much of the early social distancing and kept their football practices running. Two percent of the population have tested positive, 10% of those have died.

So 110,000 people in the stadium, 2,200 catch it, 220 die every game. That's is a lot of dead people to watch Michigan beat up a cupcake team and then lose to every good team.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 27, 2020 7:35 am

Students on campus or not, what happens when a player on the team tests positive for COVID-19? Wouldn't any & all players with close contact to that player need to be quarantined? Remember, you can carry the virus and be asymptomatic for as much as two weeks. Do we really want third stringers and walk-on players deciding power conference matchups?

I've seen a wide range of statements regarding mortality:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/healt ... 3459f0082b

The one thing that is certain? African Americans are far more likely to suffer severe health effects or death from COVID-19. Of course, a disproportionately high number of football players, especially in power conference programs, happen to be African American.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 27, 2020 5:16 pm

MSU has announced they will be on campus this fall. Schlissel has been much more publicly bullish than Stanley on in-person in the fall. I maintain the opinion that U-M will be on campus this fall. Now I'm adding to the prediction: football will happen but capacity will be 20-25%.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Wed May 27, 2020 6:48 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:16 pm
MSU has announced they will be on campus this fall. Schlissel has been much more publicly bullish than Stanley on in-person in the fall. I maintain the opinion that U-M will be on campus this fall. Now I'm adding to the prediction: football will happen but capacity will be 20-25%.
Well then, all they have to do is jack the ticket prices up by 4 to 5 times, and all will be well. I think a lot of students will stay home anyway and go to commuter colleges.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 27, 2020 7:05 pm

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:48 pm
Matt wrote:
Well then, all they have to do is jack the ticket prices up by 4 to 5 times, and all will be well. I think a lot of students will stay home anyway and go to commuter colleges.
You're clueless. There is no data that suggests that your statement is remotely close to accurate. For one thing, it would be a logistical nightmare and upwards to 80% of students have ironclad leases they signed in Ann Arbor last fall.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 27, 2020 7:09 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:05 pm
TC Shuts Up wrote:
Matt wrote:
You're clueless. There is no data that suggests that your statement is remotely close to accurate. For one thing, it would be a logistical nightmare and upwards to 80% of students have ironclad leases they signed in Ann Arbor last fall.
There will likely be some students modifying those plans to fit changing conditions...

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 27, 2020 7:18 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:09 pm
Matt wrote:
TC Shuts Up wrote:
Matt wrote:
There will likely be some students modifying those plans to fit changing conditions...
Are you familiar with Ann Arbor landlords?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 27, 2020 7:24 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:18 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:09 pm
Matt wrote:
TC Shuts Up wrote:
Matt wrote:
Are you familiar with Ann Arbor landlords?
Yes... but everybody is bending things right now... besides... the kids who get those places have so much money in many cases that nobody will miss it if they pay and don’t show up.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Wed May 27, 2020 7:40 pm

Then they should take the University and Landlords to court and sue them. A Class Action suit perhaps. The lawyers are all over TV. If the virus is anywhere near as dangerous as what the alphabet media claims, the judges and juries would side with the students and parents trying to avoid getting sick. Everything, including lying to hurt Trump, and this is a result, has consequences. And should have.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 27, 2020 7:58 pm

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:40 pm
Then they should take the University and Landlords to court and sue them. A Class Action suit perhaps. The lawyers are all over TV. If the virus is anywhere near as dangerous as what the alphabet media claims, the judges and juries would side with the students and parents trying to avoid getting sick. Everything, including lying to hurt Trump, and this is a result, has consequences. And should have.
Again, you are clueless. What standing would the students have to sue the university over contracts they signed independent of the university? How would they have standing to bring a class action suit against MULTIPLE landlords? How dumb are you that you think a worldwide pandemic was created to hurt Trump? Most importantly, what data do you have to suggest that students would transfer from U-M or MSU to go to a lesser regional school?

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Wed May 27, 2020 10:08 pm

The only thing good about Ann Arbor is when you get out a few miles from the UM Campuses, where the real people live, the blue collar skilled trades types, artisans no longer taken in by it, etc. The U types look down on everyone, and they're really no better than anybody. Like this person wrote in the following link-Ann Arbor Sucks. Get out while you still have your dignity. I always remember the first time I visited. There was a little restaurant at one end of Nickels Arcade. Went into the bathroom. There was no light. There was a spoon and a match on the floor next to a stall where someone had shot up heroin. It went downhill from there.

Once you read this, you'll be sorry you stayed.

https://www.michigandaily.com/article/b ... rbor-sucks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic