Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

April Radio Ratings

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
RadioRat

April Radio Ratings

Post by RadioRat » Thu May 14, 2020 7:47 am

https://radioinsight.com/ratings/detroit/

Suburban women tuned out entirely. It doesn't look like they switched to WWJ or WJR much although both stations had great books. I think they stopped listening to the radio. WDVD and The Breeze crash to the bottom of the pack.

Ben Zonia

Re: April Radio Ratings

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu May 14, 2020 8:51 am

WJR increased bigly because almost all the other stations, TV and Radio, have a Hate Trump/Blame Trump Political Agenda. A lot of people put the blame where it belongs, on the people who were responsible for creating and/or isolating and exporting the virus, lying about it at every turn, and they are sick and tired of the hate and blame game being focused on Trump.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu May 14, 2020 9:12 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:51 am
WJR increased bigly because almost all the other stations, TV and Radio, have a Hate Trump/Blame Trump Political Agenda. A lot of people put the blame where it belongs, on the people who were responsible for creating and/or isolating and exporting the virus, lying about it at every turn, and they are sick and tired of the hate and blame game being focused on Trump.
Since I don't listen to anything but 97.1 sports and WUOM 91.7 I am not really up on other stations. But when I saw the massive jump WJR took I was wondering. Seemed way too early to an election jump.

I no longer directly engage trolls

RadioRat

Post by RadioRat » Thu May 14, 2020 9:28 am

Ben,

You may have a point. A similar point is that A/C listeners lean left but they aren't rabid partisans. If you are on DVD touting the lockdown to an audience that stands an infinitesimal chance of dying from the disease...that's a tough sell. You closed the businesses those moms work at and you forced the ones who kept their career but are working from home to add teacher as a second job.

I am guessing WJR was much better at paying attention to the economic hardships than the crew on the 7th floor of the Fisher Building.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu May 14, 2020 9:44 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Christian Talk station ratings are up, but are not shown for any of the big owners on Neilsen Detroit ratings, for both Political and Spiritual reasons. We're all kind of in a foxhole now, and as they say, there are no Atheists in foxholes.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Silvio Dante

Post by Silvio Dante » Thu May 14, 2020 9:55 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:51 am
JR actually lost cume "bigly" like every other station, some as much as 50% because people are not commuting to work (DVD lost the dentist office cume too). JR's share is up because their aging audience were not commuting to work before COVID and their listening habits have not been impacted as much.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu May 14, 2020 10:10 am

People can't usually listen to WJR in the workplace, because they are in steel buildings, and they are extremely noisy electrically. They might want to simulcast, as Nash FM ratings seem to be anemic. WBBM's huqe increase is probably due to both the simulcast on WCFS AND in being in the foxhole at both home and work.

-Author Unknown

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Thu May 14, 2020 10:54 am

RadioRat wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:47 am
https://radioinsight.com/ratings/detroit/

Suburban women tuned out entirely. It doesn't look like they switched to WWJ or WJR much although both stations had great books. I think they stopped listening to the radio. WDVD and The Breeze crash to the bottom of the pack.
As did NIC. If this ordeal ever ends, they'll most likely recover.
Ben Zonia wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:10 am
People can't usually listen to WJR in the workplace, because they are in steel buildings, and they are extremely noisy electrically. They might want to simulcast, as Nash FM ratings seem to be anemic.
More to ratings than the beauty contest numbers.
DRQ went from 12th to 5th 18-34, right behind YCD at 4th. Not sure I'd call that anemic.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu May 14, 2020 12:02 pm

Cumulus underbought the number of stations in local clusters compared to Clear Channel, whatever they are calling it this week, and CBS/Entercom. They're all in trouble, but the larger clusters in larger markets seem to survive better. Maybe because radio stations are harder to sell, and the offers too low to seriously consider.

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu May 14, 2020 12:26 pm

CBS bought a bunch of stations in Chicago, went to a simulcast with WCFS, and then hobbled WBBM-AM's signal by reducing its power and moving it to a diplex with WSCR, several miles further from the center of Chicago. Clusters are sacrificing AM stations at an alarming rate. One of the worst situations is where they sacrifice an AM by selling their land and downgrading the facility to a Class D or way weaker Class B, because they have a 250 watt translator, which is a bumpable facility. It may even be duplicated within the same market. Then they leave the Class D AM on at Night with full power, interfering with cochannel and adjacent frequencies, in violation of FCC rules. They ought to make a rule that all broadcasting personnel, including owners and counsel, have to pass a test with broadcast elements of the old Third Class Radiotelephone License, including issues related to sky wave interference and why you cant leave Day facilities on at Night. Owners and counsel should have at least an old disk jockey’s knowledge of the technical aspects of radio.

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 14, 2020 7:26 pm

April survey cume compared to normal (not going to go down every station, but here are some examples)...

WWJ
Normally: about 700,000
This survey: 320,000

WCSX
Normally: about 800,000
This survey: 396,000

WJR
Normally: about 250,000
This survey: 182,000

WKQI
Normally: about 1 million
This survey: 494,000

WRIF
Normally: about 650,000
This survey: 383,000

WOMC
Normally: about 900,000
This survey: 343,500 (!!!)
On a percentage basis, their cume loss is roughly tied with WXYT-F for largest erosion.

WXYT-F
Normally: about 600,000
This survey: 227,900

WNIC
Normally: about 1.1 million
This survey: 528,000

WYCD
Normally: about 750,000
This survey: 354,000

WDZH:
Normally: about 800,000
This survey: 324,000

WUOM:
Normally: about 200,000
This survey: 110,000

WJLB:
Normally: about 650,000
This survey: 345,000

48125er

Post by 48125er » Thu May 14, 2020 10:06 pm

And WDFN went from 0.2 to 0.1

They must've gone from 20 listeners to 10.

I never thought id see the day where the highest rated music station is Mix 92.3

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Thu May 14, 2020 11:40 pm

I'm impressed with WRCJ, honestly.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri May 15, 2020 10:25 am

Two thoughts on this thread:

1. I would give my left nut to open a thread and not see whining about poor Donald or evil Gretchen. Jesus H. Christ. Bitch, bitch, bitch.

2. I said a month or so ago that my main listening was to WWJ. Streaming also. I can see why most at-work stations took a dive, but I mentioned that I just wasn't in the mood to listen to the same ol', same ol'. Most of the time I had either 97.1 or WWJ on, but I'm probably an outlier and don't have a meter. But I had a feeling this would happen.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri May 15, 2020 8:11 pm

Nice to know which stations are clearly only listened to at work. Lol

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic