Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

April Radio Ratings

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: April Radio Ratings

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 15, 2020 8:28 pm

Ben, with all due respect, WJR's money demo ratings have been mediocre for several years, and the past 12 months have brought the station its worst numbers in its history.

Dumping country from 93.1 might have made sense three or four years ago when the station was a dumpster fire, but not now.

Few people under age 55 care to listen to Paul W. or Frank the Asshole, and only middle aged Jewish women care to listen to Mitch. 760's lineup sucks.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

option1

Post by option1 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:30 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:51 am
WJR increased bigly because almost all the other stations, TV and Radio, have a Hate Trump/Blame Trump Political Agenda. A lot of people put the blame where it belongs, on the people who were responsible for creating and/or isolating and exporting the virus, lying about it at every turn, and they are sick and tired of the hate and blame game being focused on Trump.
Huh? WTF does this have to do with PPM’s in major markets basically being turned off and rendered useless because people are focused more on doing the right thing and quarantining? That statement belongs on a Fox News message board not a radio forum.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun May 17, 2020 7:53 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:28 pm

Few people under age 55 care to listen to Paul W. or Frank the Asshole, and only middle aged Jewish women care to listen to Mitch. 760's lineup sucks.
Depending on what you're selling, those demographics could be desirable.

Maybe Mitch will pick up a Gefilte fish sponsor. :)

Motor Homes work for Frank and Paul.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun May 17, 2020 8:07 pm

LOL - I like it. :)

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Rich F.

Post by Rich F. » Mon May 18, 2020 4:40 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:26 pm
CBS ... hobbled WBBM-AM's signal by reducing its power and moving it to a diplex with WSCR, several miles further from the center of Chicago. ...
As it turns out, the WSCR tower is a taller and "more efficient" radiator than the one WBBM used before they diplexed with WSCR.

The 42 kW nighttime groundwave field radiated by WBBM is a bit higher now than it was with 50 kW before the diplexing began. It is even higher now than that of WSCR running 50 kW (see below).

Downsides for WBBM are that their higher angle radiation generally is less than it was before the move, except for having more radiation in a wide, high-angle lobe centered at 60 degrees elevation. That lobe produces nighttime skywaves that can interfere with their own groundwave at some distances from the tower site. Listeners in Rockford, IL probably would notice the difference, for example.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon May 18, 2020 7:37 am

BFSEsq wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:40 pm
I'm impressed with WRCJ, honestly.
Yes, someday Dave Wagner will get the credit he deserves for how much he has contributed to the radio culture of this area, both on and off the air.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon May 18, 2020 7:41 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:51 am
WJR increased bigly because almost all the other stations, TV and Radio, have a Hate Trump/Blame Trump Political Agenda. A lot of people put the blame where it belongs, on the people who were responsible for creating and/or isolating and exporting the virus, lying about it at every turn, and they are sick and tired of the hate and blame game being focused on Trump.
On the way to work, I've been listening to Paul W. Smith more than I ever have, mostly for the interviews with people from business and government. He's more conservative than I thought, but doesn't emphasize it, which probably helps him get a diverse audience.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 18, 2020 9:44 am

WJR's cume fell by at least 20 percent and still has far fewer weekly listeners than nearly every FM station in the market. Any suggestion that people are flocking to the station is separated from reality. Yes, it has a devoted base of listeners who do listen religiously...that's true. But it is far from being a mass appeal station. It is a niche station that serves a purpose.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue May 19, 2020 12:47 am

In 1987 WJR had mass appeal, but no longer. They could / should play elevator/dentist office music and would cume higher.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 19, 2020 6:22 am

Music on an AM station? You cannot be serious. It isn't 1987 anymore. Quit living in the past.

Soft music is available on a crystal clear FM signal, 98.7.

No one under the age of 75 cares to hear beautiful music.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic