Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Gretchen the Media Queen

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Rate This

Re: Gretchen the Media Queen

Post by Rate This » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:35 am

696lover wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:31 am
Yes, but there were a number of different outlets before broadcast. With corporate media and government broadcast licenses and cable agreements, it is only one side.

Your point that I could listen to talk radio or fox to hear about local news is not a good one.

You are seriously claiming the Detroit News is not a tool of the Freep? Typical news slants there: "Gosh darn it, Trump is evil. Whitmer is awesome and great, but we wish she would wear more power red. All power and glory to the new ruler of Oakland County!"
My main point is that this is the way it was before the Fairness Doctrine... That’s why they created it. Newspapers openly advocated for one side or the other. They were organs of the parties, objective coverage of things was laughable. Newspaper barons controlled the message. What you are complaining about isn’t new.

Deleted User 7769

Post by Deleted User 7769 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:08 pm

Oh ok... here we go. Blame Reagan for elimination of the Fairness Doctrine, huh? What about the Equal Time provision?
Not one media outlet gives a rats ass about giving equal time to opposing viewpoints, when they SHOULD still be doing so. You want proof? Just listen to WWJ for an hour or a day or a week for that matter and you won’t hear a single conservative viewpoint, unless they’re being critical of the all wise and all knowing Governor Whitmer.
Spare us the sanctimonious bull shit. The media is so far slanted to left it’s pathetic.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:39 pm

radiodoc wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:08 pm
Oh ok... here we go. Blame Reagan for elimination of the Fairness Doctrine, huh? What about the Equal Time provision?
Not one media outlet gives a rats ass about giving equal time to opposing viewpoints, when they SHOULD still be doing so. You want proof? Just listen to WWJ for an hour or a day or a week for that matter and you won’t hear a single conservative viewpoint, unless they’re being critical of the all wise and all knowing Governor Whitmer.
Spare us the sanctimonious bull shit. The media is so far slanted to left it’s pathetic.
So this is the equal-time rule... note that the other candidate needs to ASK that they be given the time to respond in kind:
The equal-time rule specifies that U.S. radio and television broadcast stations must provide an equivalent opportunity to any opposing political candidates who request it. This means, for example, that if a station gives a given amount of time to a candidate in prime time, it must do the same for another candidate who requests it, at the same price if applicable.
So you’re wrong.

This was the fairness doctrine, note that its elimination is seen as something that contributed to Party Polarization in the U.S.:
The fairness doctrine of the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC), introduced in 1949, was a policy that required the holders of broadcast licenses to both present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that was—in the FCC's view—honest, equitable, and balanced. The FCC eliminated the policy in 1987 and removed the rule that implemented the policy from the Federal Register in August 2011.

The fairness doctrine had two basic elements: It required broadcasters to devote some of their airtime to discussing controversial matters of public interest, and to air contrasting views regarding those matters. Stations were given wide latitude as to how to provide contrasting views: It could be done through news segments, public affairs shows, or editorials. The doctrine did not require equal time for opposing views but required that contrasting viewpoints be presented. The demise of this FCC rule has been considered by some to be a contributing factor for the rising level of party polarization in the United States.

The main agenda for the doctrine was to ensure that viewers were exposed to a diversity of viewpoints. In 1969 the United States Supreme Court, in Red Lion Broadcasting Co. v. FCC, upheld the FCC's general right to enforce the fairness doctrine where channels were limited. However, the Court did not rule that the FCC was obliged to do so.[4] The courts reasoned that the scarcity of the broadcast spectrum, which limited the opportunity for access to the airwaves, created a need for the doctrine.

The fairness doctrine is not the same as the equal-time rule. The fairness doctrine deals with discussion of controversial issues, while the equal-time rule deals only with political candidates.
Sometimes facts don’t like you.

blizzard

Post by blizzard » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:25 pm

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:20 am

Courtesy: Breitbart

Gretchen Whitmer to Michigan Residents: ‘Google How to Do a Haircut’

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 ... a-haircut/

This pig in Lansing won't be satisfied until every barber and salon has gone bankrupt and closes for good. I fully understand caution during this time in reopening however excessive delays as in this case do just as much or even more harm. With excessive delay she has cut her own state income that is needed for the basics let alone "fixing the damn roads."

These are things I will remember when it comes time for "re-election."

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:47 am

SixPlusOne wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:20 am

Gretchen Whitmer to Michigan Residents: ‘Google How to Do a Haircut’

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 ... a-haircut/

This pig in Lansing won't be satisfied until every barber and salon has gone bankrupt and closes for good. I fully understand caution during this time in reopening however excessive delays as in this case do just as much or even more harm. With excessive delay she has cut her own state income that is needed for the basics let alone "fixing the damn roads."

These are things I will remember when it comes time for "re-election."
I’m skeptical you’d have voted for her anyways...

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:19 am

Howard Jones wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:01 pm
km1125 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:56 pm
Why isn't she being asked why Michigan has the NUMBER ONE WORST case fatality rate in the entire COUNTRY, despite her draconian actions!!

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/coron ... ed-states/
Probably because Michigan is actually the 7th worse behind NY, NJ, CT, MA, LA, and DC? The confirmed case fatality rate isn't reliable because of the difference in testing rates and how soon testing was available relative to when many people were getting sick. Michigan was way, way behind on testing when all this started, inflating the number you are looking at. There were countless positive cases here that weren't tested -- if they had been, those positive results for people that lived would have normalized that number.

Data is a tricky business.
Especially when it's data on something that didn't exist six months ago!

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:38 am

radiodoc wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:08 pm
Generally, I don't hear liberal, nor conservative, viewpoints on WWJ. I hear (far too many commercials) and news.

That and more commercials, even commercials embedded into the commercials. I can't even pay attention to the traffic reports! 100 years of commercials (oh, wait..that's not until August).

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:50 am

armchair pd wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:38 pm
So my dog can get a haircut but I can't.

I can go to Walmart but need an appointment for Kohls?

I can go to the dentist or car dealership and party with 9 friends but not on a bar patio outside in the fresh air and also uh STAY HOME STAY SAFE!

Makes perfect since :lol :hat
I've easily noticed that the restrictions are greatly enriching Big Box chain stores, which are crowded.

Meanwhile, Susie's Sweets and eats in Monroe is still closed under government order. I feel much safer shopping in a store that serves 60 people in an hour, than a giant corral of thousands of h. sapiens all in motion.

Oh, Susie's Buckeye Chocolate Popcorn is very much worth the trip.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:56 am

innate-in-you wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:50 am
Meanwhile, Susie's Sweets and eats in Monroe is still closed under government order. I feel much safer shopping in a store that serves 60 people in an hour, than a giant corral of thousands of h. sapiens all in motion.

Oh, Susie's Buckeye Chocolate Popcorn is very much worth the trip.
I was in Monroe getting carnival food. Hope you didn't miss it. There was a couple of carnival booths set up in the Frenchtown parking lot the past two weekends. All the garbage food we're missing out on because of the street fairs not happening. I was having butterfly chips withdrawals.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:15 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:52 am
696lover wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:48 am
Rate This wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:23 am
696lover wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:10 am
Rate This wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:01 am

You understand that the 50’s-early 00’s way of doing the news is an anomaly right?
You can't have a democratic representative system where the dissemination of information is limited, by broadcast licenses and government cable system contracts, to democratic party only supporting corporate outlets. Either bring back the fairness doctrine, or break up the media companies
There’s plenty of conservative media out there and nobody is stopping you from viewing, reading or Otherwise jacking off to it. Quit whining. Conservatives killed the fairness doctrine during the Reagan administration. Maybe they should have thought about that first. But that’s where all this right wing media came from so maybe they are pleased as punch with the result.
I don't want to get in an internet slap fight, but this is simply not true. There is not one Michigan TV channel that is not democratic party. Notwithstanding the JOA, the Freep owns the News and uses them as a sock puppet. Booth newspapers used to lean slightly right, but that went away in 2000.

Your resorting to sex insults means you know it, too.
Talk radio and the internet as well as FOX News. You are mentioning all of this old school media like it’s still relevant... cable and the internet is where it’s at my friend. There’s lots of Conservative media available. No shortage. It can even be hard to get away from at times.

The idea that everybody is “Democratic Party” is kind of funny. The Detroit News I wouldn’t classify as a Democratic outfit. Nor WJR or 92.3 (The Salem Communications thing). Just because they won’t allow a distorted view of the universe into play isn’t so much indicative of bias as it is that the ideas presented just aren’t very good and not all ideas are equal. Should we give equal time to flat earthers and let the people decide?

Prior to the Fairness Doctrines invention in the 30’s, newspapers (Really the main media at the time) were with one party or the other and openly supported and attacked candidates. This is not some new revelation that’s never existed before. It’s a return to normal.
You make some interesting points, but the Internet gatekeepers like Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter, and others definitely have a left wing bias.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:34 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:15 pm
You make some interesting points, but the Internet gatekeepers like Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter, and others definitely have a left wing bias.
I've been pondering doing something, but probably never will.
Download now the results of a Google search for each of all the likely VP contenders.
And save each of their Wiki pages before Biden makes up his mind.
And then after he chooses, see what changes are made to portray his choice in a better light.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:57 pm

So when does Big Wretch scold the protesters for violating the 100 people or less order and for not social distancing, and remind them to do their part and wash their hands because we're not out of the woods yet?
Meanwhile we can't watch live sports, go to a concert or get a haircut.
:lol

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:58 pm

armchair pd wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:57 pm
So when does Big Wretch scold the protesters for violating the 100 people or less order and for not social distancing.....
And add this with video to boot:

Video: Gretchen Whitmer Violates Own Social Distancing Order During Protest, Chants ‘Hands Up Don’t Shoot’

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 ... ont-shoot/

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:27 pm

Jenn was quite surprised that Breitbart stole/shared her video that I shot. The backwards mini-marathons with 30lb weight on the shoulder can be quite the workout.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic