Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

It was 50 years ago today...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

It was 50 years ago today...

Post by Bobbert » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:30 pm

...when the Beatles broke up.

Detroit Free Press
April 11, 1970

McCartney Breaks Up Beatles to Go Solo
From UPI and AP LONDON

Paul McCartney has broken up the Beatles, the most fabulously successful group in the history of popular music, by withdrawing to concentrate on a solo career as songwriter, recording artist and family man.

The 27-year-old creative dynamo of the group made official on Friday [April 10, 1970] what had been increasingly apparent in recent months: Close as brothers when they were struggling in small nightclubs, the foursome had acquired too many other interests along with wealth and world acclaim.

McCartney confirmed that he was striking out completely on his own in written answers to questions which were sent to him when he declined a personal interview. His solo album, "McCartney," will be released next Friday.

TWO FLAT negatives ended the 7 1/2-year reign of the group, an era that changed the social history of the time, made millionaires out of McCartney and his songwriting partner John Lennon, and made rich young men out of Ringo Starr and George Harrison.

"Are you planning a new album or single with the Beatles?" was one question. "No," wrote McCartney.

"Do you foresee a time when Lennon-McCartney become an active songwriting partnership again?" "No," replied McCartney, who has not even spoken to Lennon for eight months.

Other than the Sunday morning Beatles Brunch on WOMC, is Beatles music played any more on Detroit radio? I'm sure Birthday gets played on the rock stations occasionally. Ironically, McCartney's breakout song as a solo artist—Maybe I'm Amazed—gets played a lot.

Mega Hertz

Re: It was 50 years ago today...

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:42 pm

Nope. Not like it used to. As the demos move up into the 80s and 90s with pop and rock, catching a Beatles tune is a rare occasion. I've never heard a Beatles song on Wheels, CSX might drop one in once in a while, even OMC, but that's rare. Goddamn it, we gotta hear Home Sweet Home again!

As an aside, I like the McCartney song mentioned above, I just wish they'd play the album version and not that cocktail-lounge live version!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:33 pm

The song "We're Going Home" is from 1970 "Let It Be" album!!

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:34 pm

The late George Harrison "I Me Mine" was the last Beatles recording on January 26, 1970!!

DAC

Post by DAC » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:28 am

When I read the title of this thread, The Beatles were the first thing that hit my mind. Glad we still have all of those great recordings to immortalize them. So glad that we still have Paul.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:06 am

In the same newspaper where I found the McCartney article, they also had an article about the planned launch of Apollo 13 on April 11.

A couple of big anniversaries that are being swallowed up by a big historical event in 2020. It will be interesting to see how much coverage is given next month to the 50th anniversary of the Kent State shootings.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:10 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:42 pm
As an aside, I like the McCartney song mentioned above, I just wish they'd play the album version and not that cocktail-lounge live version!
I agree. It has a gospel feeling that is lacking in the live version.

rushbuzz1013

Post by rushbuzz1013 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:30 am

I remember being 10 yrs old and listening to "She Loves You" on my Dad's old tube radio (too young to really know radio formats....could have been WPON(?). I was listening and hoping for winter School Closings on this day in memory,

It always amazes me how much fortitude McCarney has even today.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic