Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Retro TV WHNE

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
scifi and horror

Re: Retro TV WHNE

Post by scifi and horror » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:57 am

I have been getting atmospheric issues with WHNE on 3 during sunny days this summer, which we have had plenty of. I still love watching Dr Who on Retro TV and there have been plenty of times it has been completely unwatchable with my outdoor antenna.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:28 pm

Is WHNE at max licensed power, or room to grow?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:26 pm

They are licensed at 3 kW ERP, which is currently the permitted maximum for low power digital TV stations.

The radiation pattern is punitively directional, with areas to the south of the TX site receiving extremely little RF, in some cases less than 50 watts.

It's basically an Oakland and Macomb County station. Signal in Wayne County is flimsy to non-existent if you are south of roughly Ford Rd.

While lo-VHF band placement is certainly an Achilles heel, I'd contend the sharply directional signal is equally problematic.

I'll note that WUDL-LD is much more outrageously directional than WHNE. I live in a "favored" region of WUDL-LD's predicted coverage zone, and I have had zero luck decoding their signal ever since the repack. WUDL in some azimuths literally sends only a 1 watt or 2 watt signal!

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:46 pm

I have not had any issues getting WHNE since I did the folded dipole, but lately WXYZ has been an issue and that's in Western Wayne county. On the east side I'm having pixelation issues on Fox2, but I think that's a local interference issue

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:05 pm

I've seen no sign of W06DE, the Toledo LPTV that had bought the remains of the former W38DH.

I wonder when W06DE's CP will expire. Perhaps WHND-LP could buy W06DE's CP and move it. A lowband TV antenna usually has more gain at channel 6 as it would at Channel 3.

I suspect W06DE has walked away from its mistake. I'm sure that they intended to use it to serve as a "Franken FM". Now that the FCC has placed a drop dead date for low power analog TV stations to convert to digital, there may be no point in building out their facility.

$10,000, the cost of an engineering study, and FCC filing fees, appear to be going down the drain.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:28 am

Who's listed as owner of W06DE? Was W38DH home shopping junk? What is the new Franken FM drop dead digital date? Chicago's Franken FM beats 50KW WLS-AM in Arbitron.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic