Registrations in the queue through August 2 at 8:45a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Retro TV WHNE

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
CK-722
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Re: Retro TV WHNE

Post by CK-722 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:42 pm

Scientists know that real world conditions are lot different than laboratory conditions. As far as I've heard, service contours were based on laboratory signal levels. In many cases, even the slightest ridge will cause a shadow where the signal level is below the predicted. If you look at the actual pattern of the DA, the maximum is to the NW. When you look at Longley Rice, there is an apparent null in the same direction. This is due to the "mountain range" which stretches from near Brighton to near Almont, where the terrain is 400-600 feet above the terrain circa 20 miles to the SE and NW of this range. You may laugh at calling it a mountain range, but note they call them Mount Brighton, Mount Holly, Trombley Mountain, and Mount Grampian and others I've not mentioned, along the way. I forget what they call the peak at the Ford Proving Grounds, which has security that rivals Area 51.

https://www.fccdata.org/?facid=&call=WH ... d=&lang=en

Image

Just 36 watts ERP to the SE.

The Ford Proving Grounds Mountain is Trombley Mountain. I forgot Peach Mountain, where the WUOM-FM 91.7 Tower is located. There are other Hills and Nobs. Waterford Hill, Kerr Hill, and Pine Knob.
Last edited by CK-722 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.


Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Splouge
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:34 pm
Location: Melvindale

Re: Retro TV WHNE

Post by Splouge » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:45 pm

windsor wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:19 am
What a F'ed up business model.....its like I own a restaurant but my customers have to bring their own plates and utensils to be able to eat there. :lol
No, restaurants provide food, which is tangible. WHNE provides a TV signal, which is intangible.

By your logic, TV of any kind is a bad business model since viewers have to get their own TV as well.

While we're at it, let's throw grocery stores into the list of bad businesses, since customers need their own transportation to get to the store.

Besides, WHNE's services are free.



User avatar
windsor
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:27 pm
Location: In OZZy"s BoneYard.....

Re: Retro TV WHNE

Post by windsor » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:00 pm

Splouge wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:45 pm
windsor wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:19 am
What a F'ed up business model.....its like I own a restaurant but my customers have to bring their own plates and utensils to be able to eat there. :lol
No, restaurants provide food, which is tangible. WHNE provides a TV signal, which is intangible.

By your logic, TV of any kind is a bad business model since viewers have to get their own TV as well.

While we're at it, let's throw grocery stores into the list of bad businesses, since customers need their own transportation to get to the store.

Besides, WHNE's services are free.
Your just a happy camper bc you can get the signal, if not you would be the first fucking guy bitching on here.

Viewers are not going to jump through hoops of fire which is what they have to do to get this vhf low signal.

They fucked up big time not making sure they had a slot on UHF.

If they can survive with half the viewers , so be it.I wish them all the best.....


WLLZ needs to bring Sreaming Scott to Morning's on 106.7

Splouge
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:34 pm
Location: Melvindale

Re: Retro TV WHNE

Post by Splouge » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:38 pm

Getting a new antenna is not "hoops of fire". I've said it before, indoor rabbit ears may work. You don't necessarily need an outdoor antenna.

You'll need to get 2 pairs and disassemble one pair, and tape it to the other so it's long enough for channel 3



CK-722
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Re: Retro TV WHNE

Post by CK-722 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:06 pm

Longley Rice Image.

Image

Interesting that the terrain affects the signal to the NW nearly as much as the DA to the SE.

My childhood memories in Genesee County were that WJBK-TV 2 and WWJ-TV 4 came in quite well behind the ridge, but not as well as WJIM-TV 6, which was almost as far, but over much flatter terrain, some models say LOS. I'll have to check my old addresses in TV Fool for more information. WNEM-TV 5 was strong but had diagonal interference lines, likely from 72-76 MHz interference. It was not ghosting, but the area special didn't work that well in that direction. When WJRT-TV 12 came on the air, the 5 element Channel 6 Yagi and the 2,4,7 and 5 area specials worked equally well.


Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Splouge
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:34 pm
Location: Melvindale

Re: Retro TV WHNE

Post by Splouge » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:35 pm

The low power displacement filing window began 4/10/18:

WUDL filed for UHF 35 on 4/10/18
WUDT filed for VHF 8 on 4/11/18

Those 2 stations were very quick to pick their new channels, so it's not like WHNE had a lot of time anyway.

WHNE filed for VHF 3 on 5/25/18



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4066
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Retro TV WHNE

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:52 pm

Getting a new antenna is not "hoops of fire". I've said it before, indoor rabbit ears may work. You don't necessarily need an outdoor antenna.

You'll need to get 2 pairs and disassemble one pair, and tape it to the other so it's long enough for channel 3
Did you not see the post that stated WHNE sends only 36 watts ERP in the direction of Windsor?

I don't care what type of antenna one uses; the chances of picking up a reliable signal there from WHNE are almost nil.


Caroline Beasley is ruining WRIF. What a bitch!!!

CK-722
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Re: Retro TV WHNE

Post by CK-722 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:23 pm

If the Longley Rice Map looks "spotty", like the red areas, the signal will be VERY location dependent. There may be locations very near each other that have very different results.

I have to wonder if ATSC 3.0 will improve this situation. The head of the Consumer Technology Association emailed a while back that the TVs with ATSC 3.0 will be available at the end of the year, and hopefully converters will also be available. Of course, with all the upheaval, we can only hope that things get back to normal.


Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Splouge
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:34 pm
Location: Melvindale

Re: Retro TV WHNE

Post by Splouge » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:36 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:52 pm
Getting a new antenna is not "hoops of fire". I've said it before, indoor rabbit ears may work. You don't necessarily need an outdoor antenna.

You'll need to get 2 pairs and disassemble one pair, and tape it to the other so it's long enough for channel 3
Did you not see the post that stated WHNE sends only 36 watts ERP in the direction of Windsor?

I don't care what type of antenna one uses; the chances of picking up a reliable signal there from WHNE are almost nil.
It's possible though



SixPlusOne
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:03 am

Re: Retro TV WHNE

Post by SixPlusOne » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:57 pm

Splouge wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:30 pm
CK-722 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:41 pm
You could just mount a set of rabbit ears outside at some moderate height. You'd get a substantial increase in signal.
Nope, not sturdy enough. The rods are not made of the same sturdy thick metal that outdoor VHF yagis are. They'd snap off in the wind.
Here is a recommendation from a man that I mentioned on another thread that evaluates all types of indoor and outdoor antennas. In this clip he evaluates a good indoor antenna that can also be mounted outside if desired.

ClearStream Max-V Indoor Outdoor VHF/UHF HD TV Antenna Review


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FAK2QeG2FI



SixPlusOne
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:03 am

Re: Retro TV WHNE

Post by SixPlusOne » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:05 am

windsor wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:09 pm
Cant be Sandusky Im not near lake erie at my home in east Windsor a couple miles from the river............
Any chance the Ren Cen is right in your way and blocking your reception.



Splouge
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:34 pm
Location: Melvindale

Re: Retro TV WHNE

Post by Splouge » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:10 am

SixPlusOne wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:57 pm
Splouge wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:30 pm
CK-722 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:41 pm
You could just mount a set of rabbit ears outside at some moderate height. You'd get a substantial increase in signal.
Nope, not sturdy enough. The rods are not made of the same sturdy thick metal that outdoor VHF yagis are. They'd snap off in the wind.
Here is a recommendation from a man that I mentioned on another thread that evaluates all types of indoor and outdoor antennas. In this clip he evaluates a good indoor antenna that can also be mounted outside if desired.

ClearStream Max-V Indoor Outdoor VHF/UHF HD TV Antenna Review


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FAK2QeG2FI
That's a high VHF antenna



szmigiel
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:52 am

Re: Retro TV WHNE

Post by szmigiel » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:06 am

I am not seeing any signal from Channel 3 this Saturday morning at all, not even a very weak one.



innate-in-you
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:54 am

Re: Retro TV WHNE

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:26 pm

static1701 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:15 am
Do you know where we can buy a low vhf antenna these days? They are all discontinued.
Menards. They have a triband antenna with the RCA brand.



CK-722
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Re: Retro TV WHNE

Post by CK-722 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:20 pm

The only antenna on the Menards website that looks like it would work for WHNE 3 is the Top Of The Line Low VHF/High VHF/UHF. The next "best" I saw for Channel 3 is similar to the antenna on the WHNE Facebook Page or website that is Xed out and says "Bad". It looks to me like that small antenna may be tuned for 5,6, and FM BC. I don't know why people are so resistant to larger antennas, which if properly designed, are better, particularly for Low VHF.


Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic