Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WYCD's ratings fall to worst non-Holiday levels in MANY YEARS due to stupid programming changes

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

WYCD's ratings fall to worst non-Holiday levels in MANY YEARS due to stupid programming changes

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:13 pm

Ditching Brian Lee for the fruity voiced guy who now handles WYCD's imaging, ditching much of the music library from rotation, and trying to make 99.5 sound more like a Top 40 station have all served to send 99.5's ratings straight into the toilet.

Great job, Tim. Instead of listening to the music label whores in Nashville, why not program the music Metro Detroit country listeners actually want to hear?

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb011

Similar maneuvers by 93.1, which started prior to the recent name change, have served to diminish its AQH share, too.

Presidential primary politics appear to be benefiting WJR and both NPR-affiliated stations. WDET-FM just cracked a 2 share for the first time in damn near two decades.

Channel 9-5-5 kicked everyone's ass! Their 6.5 share might be the station's best showing since Dick Purtan. It's certainly the station's best book (ages 6+) of the PPM era. What makes that feat particularly impressive is the fact CHR/Pop is not at one of its strong points music wise right now.

The other thing that caught my attention is 98.7 the Breeze, who just racked up its third straight impressive survey (ages 6+). They are certainly doing something right.

The other station that's doing something right is Mix 92.3, who continues to hold a commanding lead over 105.9 Kiss. I'm sure Steve Harvey is a big difference maker in that battle.

drew10219

Re: WYCD's ratings fall to worst non-Holiday levels in MANY YEARS due to stupid programming changes

Post by drew10219 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:41 pm

and WLLZ turned out to be the biggest disappointment in years

such high hopes and they turned it into the most tired and boring pos

what's next on the format wheel?

Rate This

Re: WYCD's ratings fall to worst non-Holiday levels in MANY YEARS due to stupid programming changes

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:55 pm

drew10219 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:41 pm
and WLLZ turned out to be the biggest disappointment in years

such high hopes and they turned it into the most tired and boring pos

what's next on the format wheel?
Buzzboard FM? It’ll work.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:24 pm

I think a permanent "wheel of formats" (not to be confused with 106.7 Detroit's Wheels) needs to be installed:
- Mondays: Best of Alice 106.7
- Tuesdays: Best of 106.7 The Drive
- Wednesdays: Best of 106.7 The Fox
- Thursdays: Best of 106.7 The Beat of Detroit
- Fridays: Best of 106.7 The D
- Saturdays: Best of Alt 106.7
- Sundays: Best of 106.7 Fake Wheels

In all honesty, moving to a standard classic rock playlist, moving to a more mature & laid back sounding stationality between songs, firing Casey K. or demoting him to weekend duty, and installing a personality-driven & interactive morning show (Trudi would work much better in that daypart) would probably work well for 106.7.

I mean, was there actually a substantial pent-up demand for the weird blend of songs that 106.7 features? I doubt it.

For what that station is spending, a 3 share isn't terrible, depending on how the A25-54 and M25-54 numbers shake out.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:34 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:24 pm
I think a permanent "wheel of formats" (not to be confused with 106.7 Detroit's Wheels) needs to be installed:

In all honesty, moving to a standard classic rock playlist, moving to a softer stationality between songs, firing Casey K. or demoting him to weekend duty, and installing a personality-driven & highly interactive morning show (Trudi would work much better in that daypart) would work well for 106.7.
Spot on, MW! I’d rather have them pick their lane whatever it will be, and then get a deeper playlist.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:35 pm

That's a great way of putting it, BKRPDM.

Pick a lane and then add artist depth. I like it!

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:37 pm

I agree, WYCD sounds like total horsesh*t... even more so than it did before. I can't believe country listeners anywhere, let alone Detroit, still want to hear "Meant to Be" three or four times a day.

While I don't care for the majority of music Channel plays, they do seem to me to be one of the more smartly programmed CHR stations. They tend to go very light on those records that ultimately turn out to be marginal (that is, when they're not saddled with iHeart pseudo-payola mandated hourly airplay) and they seem to do a good job of figuring out which records are going to be smashes. They are not cookie-cutter, and I have to give them credit for that. Unlike their sister station down 75 in Toledo, they have not turned into a Premium Choice jukebox.

Speaking of which, I can't remember the last time a Top 40 or CHR station was number one overall in Detroit. It might not have happened since the days of the Big 8.

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:46 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:24 pm

In all honesty, moving to a standard classic rock playlist, moving to a more mature & laid back sounding stationality between songs, firing Casey K. or demoting him to weekend duty, and installing a personality-driven & interactive morning show (Trudi would work much better in that daypart) would probably work well for 106.7.

I mean, was there actually a substantial pent-up demand for the weird blend of songs that 106.7 features? I doubt it.

For what that station is spending, a 3 share isn't terrible, depending on how the A25-54 and M25-54 numbers shake out.
I’m outside of their listening area. Are they still using the “next generation of classic rock” liner, then playing 70’s Pink Floyd? 🙄🙄🙄

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:53 pm

The Best Beautiful Music Of WDTM.

The Best Beautiful Music Of WABX.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

option1

Post by option1 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:05 pm

Couple of points about Channel 95.5 performance.

One, they can thank Entercom for flipping AMP and handing them the format. I don’t consider ‘DVD to be a direct competitor. ‘DVD’s slogan “Today’s best music and more“ screams Hot AC.

Two, Top 40 and Rhythmic Top 40 artists and their music are very strong right now. While it’s not everyone’s taste, In the social media age these formats fit like a glove.

Things lined up perfectly for Channel.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:58 pm

Realist, yes they are.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic