Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The media wants you to panic

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: The media wants you to panic

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:43 pm

I didn't see the report to which you are referring, but if that is indeed what he stated, I agree that it is poor advice.

Better advice would be to make sure you have enough cash (savings, money market, CDs) to get by for at least the next nine or more months while the market navigates turbulent waters.

Retirees who rely heavily on 401K and IRA income shouldn't have a majority of their liquidity invested in stocks anyway (unless they are wealthy, have low debt, and can still get by OK if that money disappears).

60 second news reports aren't an appropriate venue for dispensing investment advice anyway. One size does not fit all!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:17 pm

It would be really nice to see some of these reporters actually get someone from Kroger, Walmart, Meier, or any of the other grocery stores actually talking about their supply chain and deliveries and what they are doing to restock shelves, instead of the same old stories of "the shelves are empty!!! AAHHHH!"

Another good one would be actually talking to folks about how the testing drive-thru is organized, showing flow patterns and various sites where they are available if you quality, rather than just the same "THE LINES ARE AROUND THE BLOCK!!!! AAAAHHHH!"

Another one maybe talking to various city, county or state or utility folks about all the stuff they are doing and all the planning they had already done to insure that services will continue to function, be it electricity, water or waste pickup.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:23 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:17 pm
It would be really nice to see some of these reporters actually get someone from Kroger, Walmart, Meier, or any of the other grocery stores actually talking about their supply chain and deliveries and what they are doing to restock shelves, instead of the same old stories of "the shelves are empty!!! AAHHHH!"

Another good one would be actually talking to folks about how the testing drive-thru is organized, showing flow patterns and various sites where they are available if you quality, rather than just the same "THE LINES ARE AROUND THE BLOCK!!!! AAAAHHHH!"

Another one maybe talking to various city, county or state or utility folks about all the stuff they are doing and all the planning they had already done to insure that services will continue to function, be it electricity, water or waste pickup.
The first one could get those people shitcanned. Nobody from management is gonna go on camera and talk logistics right now. Frustrated workers might and then... goodbye! So I wouldn’t advocate for that one too strongly. The other two especially that last one would be interesting.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:25 pm

I don't see why, unless they really don't have a clue, and then they shouldn't be running a company that big. They don't have to go into details that specifically discuss their own properties, just a bit of the picture of what they are dealing with and some of the steps they are taking. Wouldn't do any good to get it from the frustrated workers, unless you just want them to vent.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:55 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:25 pm
I don't see why, unless they really don't have a clue, and then they shouldn't be running a company that big. They don't have to go into details that specifically discuss their own properties, just a bit of the picture of what they are dealing with and some of the steps they are taking. Wouldn't do any good to get it from the frustrated workers, unless you just want them to vent.
As volatile as supply chains are right now... the true answer might just be "we don't know"... that looks bad, but so does "we expect it in a week or so to be back to reasonable levels" while praying it happens...

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:46 pm

These local TV stations built their schedules around local news, since it draws viewers and allows for ad space.

With the current situation, most other things besides the situation are postponed, cancelled, closed, or otherwise altered. Without normal daily life (and Art Van commercials), there's little to do besides recite the latest information (from a social distance), try to provide coverage of the local impact, and hope people tune in.

They'd do well to cut out a few newscasts, show something uplifting during that airtime, and try to ease the stress level somewhat. Now that would be as much of a public service as repeating the same news for hours at a time.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:41 pm

selurzam wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:12 am
You realize that is a peer reviewed journal article, right? There's no globalist media agenda.
Now I know your a true fucking idiot...……. :barf

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

windsor

Post by windsor » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:25 pm

selurzam wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:12 am
You realize that is a peer reviewed journal article, right? There's no globalist media agenda.
Kernels of truth in disinformation
Dr. Xiangguo Qiu is a medical doctor and virologist from Tianjin, China, who came to Canada for graduate studies in 1996. Qiu is still affiliated with the university there and has brought in many students over the years to help with her work. She helped develop ZMapp, a treatment for the deadly Ebola virus which killed more than 11,000 people in West Africa between 2014-2016.
Her husband Keding Cheng works at the Winnipeg lab as a biologist. He has published research papers on HIV infections, severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), E. coli infections and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
One month later, CBC discovered that scientists at the NML sent live Ebola and Henipah viruses to Beijing on an Air Canada flight March 31. The Public Health Agency of Canada says all federal policies were followed. PHAC will not confirm if the March 31 shipment is part of the RCMP investigation.

Contrary to posts on Twitter, the coronavirus was not part of this shipment. And there is no confirmation Qiu or Cheng were the scientists behind the shipment.
In another followup story using travel documents obtained in Access to Information requests, CBC reported that Qiu made at least five trips to China in 2017-18, including one to train scientists and technicians at China's newly certified Level 4 lab.
She was invited to visit the Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory of the Chinese Academy of Sciences twice a year for two years, for up to two weeks each time. The lab does research with the most deadly pathogens.
PHAC has denied any connection between the RCMP investigation, Qiu's visits to Wuhan or any Canadian research, with the coronavirus outbreak.
However, PHAC would not comment on the current status of Qiu and Cheng, citing privacy reasons.

Can anyone else pick out the truths out of the "no factual basis" claim? And how its linked to this Covid 19 outbreak in Wuhan China.

Please take off your rose coloured glasses Progressives...……...

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:20 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:55 pm
km1125 wrote:
As volatile as supply chains are right now... the true answer might just be "we don't know"... that looks bad, but so does "we expect it in a week or so to be back to reasonable levels" while praying it happens...
IMO you won't get, say, Meijer corporate doing a specific rundown of their warehousing and supply situation right now because it's just a mess and they really have no clue when they're going to be able to get things back to normal levels. I think they're afraid if they tell the full truth it will just make them look inept. They stick with the company line of "we're working diligently to restock these products as quickly as possible" and I wouldn't look for them to change that.

I work at Meijer. In my store, we are still getting shipments all the time, and things will come back (and already have.) But the things that are being hoarded and panic bought, like toilet paper, won't be coming in steadily for quite a while because of the demand screwing up the entire supply chain. I feel like people shouldn't be shocked by that. You'd be surprised, though. Personally, I hope it doesn't take more than a couple weeks to get things a bit more like normal because it's been a pain working there.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:36 pm

BFSEsq wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:20 pm
Rate This wrote:
km1125 wrote:
IMO you won't get, say, Meijer corporate doing a specific rundown of their warehousing and supply situation right now because it's just a mess and they really have no clue when they're going to be able to get things back to normal levels. I think they're afraid if they tell the full truth it will just make them look inept. They stick with the company line of "we're working diligently to restock these products as quickly as possible" and I wouldn't look for them to change that.

I work at Meijer. In my store, we are still getting shipments all the time, and things will come back (and already have.) But the things that are being hoarded and panic bought, like toilet paper, won't be coming in steadily for quite a while because of the demand screwing up the entire supply chain. I feel like people shouldn't be shocked by that. You'd be surprised, though. Personally, I hope it doesn't take more than a couple weeks to get things a bit more like normal because it's been a pain working there.
This has been my understanding as well... I’ve heard about lines as long as front to back of the store to check out (!)

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:58 am

BFSEsq wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:20 pm
Rate This wrote:
km1125 wrote:

But I still think that getting the leadership from Meijer, or any of the big places, on camera to talk about would be a good "get" for a station or a reporter and good for journalism in general for news stations to be focused on information that people want and need to know. Is is ok for someone to say "we don't know yet", but let's hear about some of the things they are doing differently to accommodate this unusual situation. Hearing directly from the 'horses mouth' that they are working with their suppliers, that they don't have any distribution/transportation problems and that they have stepped up deliveries to their stores by "x" amount would be a H*** step and significantly more helpful to folks than just showing video of another line of shopping carts waiting to check out.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic