Registrations in the queue through May 14 at 7:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fox Television Station family is now bigger

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
CircleWXYZ
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:38 pm

Fox Television Station family is now bigger

Post by CircleWXYZ » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:44 am

On March 2nd, KCPQ in Seattle and WITI in Milwaukee officially became Fox O&O stations.

This means that Fox has owned and operated stations in just about every NFC market in America.

For college football, Fox now covers Washington Football, Washington St Football, and Wisconsin Badgers Football. This is in addition to converting the Seattle Seahawks and the Green Bay Packers.

Like I said, Fox is really trying to grow it’s brand.

I still think WJBK is one of the best Fox owned stations in the country. I put our Fox 2 Detroit on par with the likes of WTTG, KTVU, and KTTV.

With KCPQ in the mix, WJBK will have more competition lol. The Fox O&O in Seattle seems to be a powerhouse.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 3681
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Fox Television Station family is now bigger

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:51 am

I still think WJBK is one of the best Fox owned stations in the country. I put our Fox 2 Detroit on par with the likes of WTTG, KTVU, and KTTV
WJBK has lost great talent over the past few years. Its newscast ratings are slumping big time. The early morning newscast's numbers are at their lowest levels in probably fifteen years, and I cannot remember the last time the 10PM news had numbers so weak. That's what happens when you cast off Murray Feldman, Charlie LeDuff, Alan Lee, M.L. Elrick and others.

I absolutely would not put them in the same league as WTTG (Washington), KTVU (San Francisco) or KTTV (Los Angeles) right now. I wouldn't even put them in the same league as Fox 4 in Dallas or Fox 5 in Atlanta.


Caroline Beasley is ruining WRIF. What a bitch!!!

CircleWXYZ
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Fox Television Station family is now bigger

Post by CircleWXYZ » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:57 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:51 am
I still think WJBK is one of the best Fox owned stations in the country. I put our Fox 2 Detroit on par with the likes of WTTG, KTVU, and KTTV
WJBK has lost great talent over the past few years. Its newscast ratings are slumping big time. The early morning newscast's numbers are at their lowest levels in probably fifteen years, and I cannot remember the last time the 10PM news had numbers so weak. That's what happens when you cast off Murray Feldman, Charlie LeDuff, Alan Lee, M.L. Elrick and others.

I absolutely would not put them in the same league as WTTG (Washington), KTVU (San Francisco) or KTTV (Los Angeles) right now. I wouldn't even put them in the same league as Fox 4 in Dallas or Fox 5 in Atlanta.

Where would you rank WJBK now?

Fox seems to me heavily into news. I believe Fox put someone new in leadership at WJBK not too long ago.

Fox is going to force WJBK to step up its game, if what you are saying is true.

https://www.rbr.com/heres-mike-rendas-s ... etroit-oo/



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 3681
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Fox Television Station family is now bigger

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:20 am

Among their Fox O&O brethren, I'd place them mid pack at best right now. My opinion of the station was much higher a few years ago.

They certainly are a better operation than the station in Houston or the dumpster fires in Chicago and Charlotte.


Caroline Beasley is ruining WRIF. What a bitch!!!

User avatar
rugratsonline
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:20 pm

Re: Fox Television Station family is now bigger

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:39 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:44 am
On March 2nd, KCPQ in Seattle and WITI in Milwaukee officially became Fox O&O stations.
In WITI's case, it's "again" -- Fox originally owned WITI from 1997 to 2007.



User avatar
rugratsonline
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:20 pm

Re: Fox Television Station family is now bigger

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:41 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:20 am
They certainly are a better operation than the station in Houston or the dumpster fires in Chicago and Charlotte.
The Charlotte outlet, WJZY (and its sister, WMYT) have been sold to Nexstar, in exchange for WITI and KCPQ.



CircleWXYZ
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Fox Television Station family is now bigger

Post by CircleWXYZ » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:37 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:41 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:20 am
They certainly are a better operation than the station in Houston or the dumpster fires in Chicago and Charlotte.
The Charlotte outlet, WJZY (and its sister, WMYT) have been sold to Nexstar, in exchange for WITI and KCPQ.

It’s interesting that Fox was willing to sell WJZY, which is in an NFC market (Carolina Panthers). I wonder if they will later rebuy the station.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 3681
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Fox Television Station family is now bigger

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:31 pm

At 10 PM, WJZY is third (yes, third) in local newscast ratings.

A WSOC produced newscast on channel 64 and the CW affiliate's newscast both defeat it.

At 6PM, WJZY has about 10 percent the audience of WCNC and 5 percent the audience of WBTV and WSOC.


Caroline Beasley is ruining WRIF. What a bitch!!!

CircleWXYZ
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Fox Television Station family is now bigger

Post by CircleWXYZ » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:01 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:31 pm
At 10 PM, WJZY is third (yes, third) in local newscast ratings.

A WSOC produced newscast on channel 64 and the CW affiliate's newscast both defeat it.

At 6PM, WJZY has about 10 percent the audience of WCNC and 5 percent the audience of WBTV and WSOC.

That’s crazy. At least WJBK dominates the 10pm newscast. No wonder why Fox was willing to sell WJZY. Hopefully Nextar can help get that station up to code. Nextar seems to do well with its stations.



CircleWXYZ
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Fox Television Station family is now bigger

Post by CircleWXYZ » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:33 pm

Just saw the ratings for WFLD. They are truly a disaster. Far worse than the other Chicago stations. WGN is totally dominating that market. Fox needs to totally revamp WFLD.



JackAttack FM
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Fox Television Station family is now bigger

Post by JackAttack FM » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:03 pm

WJZY's news for all intents is basically a start-up operation. It was just a few years ago Fox bought a duopoly in Charlotte because a hometown company didn't want to sell Fox charter affiliate channel 18, WCCB. Despite WCCB being a dominate station Fox pulled their affiliation and put it on their newly owned WJZY and started a news department in market #25 that already had four stand alone TV newsrooms... not the best business move in the long run.

It seems like everybody gets their era to be on top in Chicago... WBBM in the 70's into the early 80's. WLS from the mid 80' through the 90's, channel 5 pops up now and then, Its now WGN's turn. But, WFLD has always been an also ran. They had their chance 20 years ago when Walter Jacobson was there but, they have crappy facilities and a crappy product.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic