Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

JIM PRICE STINKS !!!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
WOHO

Re: JIM PRICE STINKS !!!

Post by WOHO » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:46 am

Ahhh, just like when Ernie Harwell used to do his poem about spring on opening day on WJR, the posters come out to bitch about Jim Price on the Michigan Radio and TV Buzzboard. I'm still pissed that Cumulus couldn't seal the deal to get the games on WJR again as 96.1 and 97.1 both suck severely in the East side of Toledo. So you're stuck buying a higher level SiriusXM Select sub if you want MLB games now (thanks for nothing Howie Stern)

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:14 am

From CurlyHoward...
Buggywhip
Rackytack
Ha, ha, ha
(insert '68 reference here)
Munch, munch munch

To which Bobbert replied...
All that plus his compulsive need to constantly interrupt Dan Dickerson.

Stepping into the broadcast, even with what Jim then offers hopefully being appropriate, that's not wrong. As the game begins, it's not the time for a Doctoral dissertation, which Dan seems to be offering so far this season. Feel around on mlb.com and see what else there is to hear, because Pat Hughes with the Cubs is light years better than Dan. Hughes also has more time in the bigs, but before he was Chicago's lead announcer, he was side man to Bob Uecker in Milwaukee and his abilities were evident then. (I blanch the most at "that young man" from Jim, which he offered four minutes into a game this week)

tivoking

Post by tivoking » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:38 am

Trophyhead wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:14 am

Munch, munch munch

It's not munch, munch, munch. He's been using lozenges since his cancer to prevent dry mouth.

deadend

Post by deadend » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:13 pm

I’m really sick of Jim Price eating on the air. He can’t wait until the damn game is over before stuffing his face with hot dogs and popcorn?!? How unprofessional.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:34 pm

He has chronic dry mouth after 2 separate bouts with cancer and is essentially keeping his mouth in shape to broadcast by using lozenges and whatnot. It might even be an ADA-type accommodation that's made for him.

I do find it interesting though that they keep bringing him back, but only because he doesn't really bring much actual insight to the games any longer. He's basically just a series of interchangeable worn-out cliches that is now more parody than actual game analysis.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:42 pm

Trophyhead wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:14 am
From CurlyHoward...
Buggywhip
Rackytack
Ha, ha, ha
(insert '68 reference here)
Munch, munch munch

To which Bobbert replied...
All that plus his compulsive need to constantly interrupt Dan Dickerson.

Stepping into the broadcast, even with what Jim then offers hopefully being appropriate, that's not wrong. As the game begins, it's not the time for a Doctoral dissertation, which Dan seems to be offering so far this season. Feel around on mlb.com and see what else there is to hear, because Pat Hughes with the Cubs is light years better than Dan. Hughes also has more time in the bigs, but before he was Chicago's lead announcer, he was side man to Bob Uecker in Milwaukee and his abilities were evident then. (I blanch the most at "that young man" from Jim, which he offered four minutes into a game this week)
I did listen to a variety of broadcasters a few years ago on satellite radio on a long trip. Almost everyone I heard was better than Price and Dickerson at exchanging comments without stepping on each other. I do agree that Dickerson can talk too much.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:18 pm

Had today’s Tigers game on the radio for a moment and couldn’t figure out who was doing color today with Dickerson?

atariboy

Post by atariboy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:03 pm

uncleb67 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:18 pm
Had today’s Tigers game on the radio for a moment and couldn’t figure out who was doing color today with Dickerson?
Chris McCosky, Tigers beat writer at the News.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:04 am

Tivoking, feel free to back it up to the top of the post, where it said "Curly Howard said...", with regard to the munch.

Lozenge, Golumpki (Golumpka, Golumpkai?), regardless, the point is there is noise of consumption, a gnarly distraction.

deadend

Post by deadend » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:03 pm

I’m surprised no one in a position of power tells him to quit eating hot dogs on the air.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:25 pm

Chris McCosky, Tigers beat writer at the News.
Had I been listening, I probably would've barfed projectiles.

Listening to Price is a treat by comparison.

Mouse58756

Post by Mouse58756 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:19 am

Price and Dickerson are both awful in my book and have been for years. Price and all his “Price-isms” drive me nuts and I can’t stand Dickerson and his call of the game. Plus it would be nice to be able to turn on the game and have them tell me the score once in a while. You can go 5 minutes before they mention the score.

There are 32 of these jobs in North America, I have got to think the Tigers could do better than these two.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:49 am

There's a "find the damn score yourself on your phone if you want it right away" trend among fans and critics. I've heard people bitch about the new Bally Sports TV graphics constantly having a ticker at the bottom of the screen. I don't agree with that on radio broadcasts, people have radio on when driving or as background noise while doing something else. Say the score.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:19 am

I don't know that Ernie H. had an egg timer, but I have heard that concept offered as a way to see that you present the game score on a regular basis.

Not to nitpick on a fellow Detroit radio broadcast sufferer, but there are just 30 big league teams. No talk of contraction or expansion I have heard recently, getting the player$ and owner$ to agree on the next CBA may be a doozy of a story.

DAC

Post by DAC » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:14 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:34 pm
He has chronic dry mouth after 2 separate bouts with cancer and is essentially keeping his mouth in shape to broadcast by using lozenges and whatnot. It might even be an ADA-type accommodation that's made for him.

I do find it interesting though that they keep bringing him back, but only because he doesn't really bring much actual insight to the games any longer. He's basically just a series of interchangeable worn-out cliches that is now more parody than actual game analysis.
I agree. I have great sympathy and empathy for people who have or have had cancer. I'll never accuse Price of eating on the air, which is said here often. Poor diction and odd sounds aside, the actual words being said are pretty much worthless. Having him prepare his mouth to broadcast is like painting condemned houses to look pretty, even though they are still not suitable to live in. Incidentally, I remember getting a chuckle when Detroit painted and dressed up a bunch of abandoned buildings downtown prior to hosting the Superbowl. Price is tight with the Ilitch family, which is what led to him suddenly appearing on PASS back in 1993 (and sucking at that assignment, too) and running Larry Osterman and Jim Northrup off the air by the start of the 1994 season. "This ball is gone but not forgotten! Cecil Fielder, touch 'em all!" He's ALWAYS been bad. One would think that since the ownership loves him so much, they could find a more appropriate position for whatever his skill set is.

Additionally -- and forgive me if I've asked this before -- but does baseball on the radio really need a color commentator? Maybe it's because I grew up in the days of Harwell and Carey (both brilliant), but when I listen on the radio I just want to hear what is happening, not some tremendous analysis of what happened. Now, it's probably not fair to compare anyone to the great Ernie Harwell. Ernie had his sayings (he's out for excessive window shopping, he looked at one too many), but somehow he made them seem charming, while everything that Price says seems contrived. It's worth noting that Paul Carey was every bit as good as Ernie, but he didn't really have any clever wit that was repeated. He just told us what was happening, with his level of enthusiasm appropriate for whatever was happening on the field. And oh, that voice.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic