Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLLZ isn't going to change, WIDL is where it's at

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
innate-in-you

Re: WLLZ isn't going to change, WIDL is where it's at

Post by innate-in-you » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:34 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:21 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:03 am
Interesting post, which brought to mind "crossovers". Whatever happened to crossovers on CHR radio? There's always been tailor-made Top 40 pop product, but I can vividly remember DRQ playing Fuel, Aerosmith, Blink 182, Green Day, and Faith Hill crossovers, amongst others. Rock, Alternative Rock, Active Rock (possibly classic rock...Aerosmith was 30 years into their career when Jaded hit DRQ in 2001) and Country songs all crossing over into CHR territory. I might be wrong (due to my lack of listening) but I don't hear much in the way of crossover anymore on CHR. Any insight?
Lack of decent crossover product, and the perceived propensity to stay in your own lane programming wise, contributes to this. One can almost link this trend to the timeframe when the Gavin Report, and R&R, ceased to exist, along with increased consolidation and homogenization of corporate radio.

A wild example of a crossover song (to the extreme) would be "Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House, from 1987. In the Toledo market, WIOT was the first station to debut the Crowded House record. That song started at AOR, crossed over to CHR, AC, and still stands today as an AC gold staple. That's a long trip across several charts, and it's something you certainly don't see today. I worked mainly in AOR and AC, but not CHR. There are a couple former CHR programmers on the board who can probably pin this down a little better.
Don't Dream It's Over was great, it's secret ingredient is its synthesizers moving the chords around.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:21 pm

FM 96 WHNN went to soft rock on Monday, June 22, 1981!! Also Larry Watson & Van Rorr were also on Ideal Radio!!!

ThunderTheatre

Post by ThunderTheatre » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:10 pm

Hadn't heard any The Guess Who yet though. Add that to the list Bob! Heard Slayers' Angel of Death. That was a surreal moment for me in terrestrial radio :8)

tivoking

Post by tivoking » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:11 pm

I was able to get streaming only of SiriusXM for $8 something a month, with fees and everything. I think it's $11 now, I'm sure you can get them to lower it. They have hundreds of channels and many that play WIDL music. Also, all of the news and talk channels. It's also high quality like Spotify or YouTube Music(better than Spotify for quality.) It's nothing like the crappy sound of SiriusXM radio. If you like Pandora, LiveXLive (Slacker) or Spotify Radio, this is a good deal, if you have unlimited streaming. The only thing is that NASCAR, and some of the sports is not available, and Stern costs $5 more.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic