Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

RePack Phase 8 started

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SolarMax

Re: RePack Phase 8 started

Post by SolarMax » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:05 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:33 am
Thanks for the facebook link. Their tower and combiner are not was I was expecting! Interesting! Wish them luck on the work this week! Hoping the weather cooperates.
There are four of those arrays. Five element Yagi-style antennas so probably fairly directional lobes with overlap. Antenna made by PSI (Propagation Systems Inc.)

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:28 pm

From WHNE this evening (4/1)
-
WHNE is ON THE AIR
The tower install crew came in early this morning and have been getting it done today! They did a great job getting the antenna installed in 1 day instead of what we thought would be 2 or 3 days.
WHNE is ON THE AIR on our new channel 3!
We are testing things tonight, but you can rescan your TV's to see if you are getting our signal!
If you get us, would you please post here on Facebook where you are located? (Cross streets, city or area is fine)
We're trying to see if the signal gets out as good as the old channel did. We can't run around the area right now like we did when we turned the station on the first time.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:40 pm

It took me a while to get them, but I can verify, they aren't April fooling. Coming in in Melvindale indoors at 47/100

Digital low VHF isn't that bad so far. Honestly, the electrical interference everyone was worried about is near nonexistent. Turning on the microwave hardly affected it. It only went down to 43/100. It wouldn't surprise me if this e-skip everyone worries about isn't a problem either. We'll see in the summer. But I think it's a dramatization.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:49 pm

Splouge wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:40 pm
It wouldn't surprise me if this e-skip everyone worries about isn't a problem either. We'll see in the summer. But I think it's a dramatization.
We're not yet into sporadic-e and tropo season, which can run into early summer. Whether it's a problem will depend on how many other Channel 3 signals there might be out there, and, if they happen to propagate this way. I recall WJBK on analog ch. 2 being hammered by DX signals on occasion back in the day. One good thing about Low-V, is that summer foliage doesn't have quite the adverse effect on signals that it does with UHF.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:06 am

SolarMax wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:49 pm
Splouge wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if this e-skip everyone worries about isn't a problem either. We'll see in the summer. But I think it's a dramatization.
We're not yet into sporadic-e and tropo season, which can run into early summer. Whether it's a problem will depend on how many other Channel 3 signals there might be out there, and, if they happen to propagate this way. I recall WJBK on analog ch. 2 being hammered by DX signals on occasion back in the day. One good thing about Low-V, is that summer foliage doesn't have quite the adverse effect on signals that it does with UHF.
Well there's WGGN Sandusky, OH, and I think there's a CBC station on VHF 3 in Sault Ste. Marie. But it's still probably not gonna have the effects that the pessimists say it does

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

Trip

Post by Trip » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:24 am

Splouge wrote:
Digital low VHF isn't that bad so far. Honestly, the electrical interference everyone was worried about is near nonexistent. Turning on the microwave hardly affected it.
In my experience, microwave ovens aren't a big trouble source for low-VHF. Turn on a vacuum cleaner.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:51 am

Picked WHNE nice and solid this morning. Even picked up 13 out of Toledo this morning, I am in Shelby Twp so I am sure it won't last. With the favorable tropo I didn't pick up any Canadian stations other then usual 9 and 19. Still didn't pick up a solid signal from WUDL, while my DVR+ can see a strong signal on RF35, the quality rates at zero. Even before their move I use to have to point my antenna right at Southfield to pick them up, but now I keep my antenna pointed directly south.

According to Rabbit Ears the only other RF 3 is a WGGN out of Sandusky Ohio which doesn't even reach Toledo market so I don't think it will interfere much with WHNE.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:58 am

Those with properly maintained outdoor antennas should have little issue getting the signal. Height definitely makes a difference!

When I had my set-top rabbit ears (which, btw, are only extendable to about 50% of the length of the rabbit ears typically sold 20+ years ago) on the TV stand, I was unable to decode the signal.

When I raised the rabbit ears about two feet and balanced them on top of the TV set, I was finally able to decode the signal. Coming in at only ~20 dBu strength, which is weak. Anything less than 20 dBu on my TV is usually prone to frequent pixelation.

The former signal on physical channel 20 (PSIP channel 14) usually came in around 26 dBu or 27 dBu.

Remember, dBu measurements are logarithmic. A 30 dBu reading is 10x as strong as a 20 dBu reading.

Viewers using set top antennas are definitely going to have major issues picking up the signal, especially if the set is nowhere near a window facing Oak Park. I live only about 7 miles from WHNE's tower.

I know they are only in test mode right now, but I thought I would mention the picture on 3.2 (Get TV) is stuck in still frame.

I think I have longer rabbit ears in the basement somewhere. I will find those later today and will report my results.

static1701

Post by static1701 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:27 am

I am getting a good signal (Waterford) using a big amplified roof top antenna that I use for DX'n. I have a stacker that I use for VHF and a 4 bay on another pole that feeds all the tv's in the house. I can get WHNE but the signal is very low and drops out. Since I only use the vhf portion of the stacker for WXYZ, I will adjust it and see if I can get a stronger signal. Seems like they will need to do something if people living much closer have problems getting a good signal. Glad to have them back!

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:32 am

Time to revive the time-tested "Aluminum Foil On the Rabbit Ears" antenna gain enhancement and multipath cancellation method. :D

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:40 am

There is no CBC station in Sault Ste. Marie, I was thinking of CICI CTV Sudbury.

Also, the microwave totally knocked out channel 3 this morning, otherwise it's perfect. So happy I have it! I've been spending almost 2 years waiting to see if I'd receive it, worrying that I'd lose it, partly caused by my OCD. It feels so unreal to have WHNE on low VHF! My very first low VHF DTV station

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:58 am

Might need to work on my antenna. On one set I don't pick up anything but that set also seems to have less sensitivity on VHF-low. The other set I rescanned, but only pick up 3.2, 3.8, 3.12, 3.16 and 3.22 but all are just black screens.

YpsiGuy

Post by YpsiGuy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:49 pm

From Ypsi/south Canton WJBK, WDIV, WXYZ, WMYD, WPXD, WKBD, WTVS and WWJ are all peaked out at 100 pct signal on my TV.

I am happy.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:55 pm

YpsiGuy wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:49 pm
From Ypsi/south Canton WJBK, WDIV, WXYZ, WMYD, WPXD, WKBD, WTVS and WWJ are all peaked out at 100 pct signal on my TV.

I am happy.
can you pick up whne?

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:03 pm

Splouge wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:06 am
SolarMax wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:49 pm
Splouge wrote:
Well there's WGGN Sandusky, OH, and I think there's a CBC station on VHF 3 in Sault Ste. Marie. But it's still probably not gonna have the effects that the pessimists say it does
The CBC repeater on 3 was in Elliott Lake.

I think it's been abandoned, but I'm not sure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic