Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

RePack Phase 8 started

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
windsor

Re: RePack Phase 8 started

Post by windsor » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:38 pm

Maybe someone at Solid Signal in Novi can chime in on any antenna they have or can get in to their shop that can help with the vhf low issues.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:49 pm

The 6.5 kW STA expires April 16, 2020, after that, they'll go down to 3 kW unless the permanent 6.5 kW application is approved.

The app doesn't need to be approved before 4/16. The FCC can either approve, deny, or leave it in limbo, the latter of which seems to be their intention.

No matter what, their antenna will have a northern directional pattern

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:40 pm

I did a re-scan and found I lost all of what was channel 19. They were there a week ago but now blank. TVO 32 registers as 19.1 due to their signal freq. One thing on the plus side was I added channels 6 and 53 out of Lansing.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:40 pm

tapeisrolling wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:40 pm
I did a re-scan and found I lost all of what was channel 19. They were there a week ago but now blank. TVO 32 registers as 19.1 due to their signal freq. One thing on the plus side was I added channels 6 and 53 out of Lansing.
WUDL 19 is a waste of electrons and spectrum. The very same shopping and weepy-eyed money-grubbing preacher channels that are carried on the other diginet stations in the market.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:27 pm

"Rabbit ears" are specifically designed for VHF reception, not UHF. The "center grid" you see on most "rabbit ears" is what picks up UHF.

VHF is much easier to receive despite noise levels, especially at a distance. From Pontiac I can get anything VHF in the area on nothing more than a piece of speaker wire stuffed into the coax jack.

Your antenna doesn't have to be anything special. A simple VHF/UHF combo will do - the same old shit everyone's been running since the 70s.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:06 pm

"I did a re-scan and found I lost all of what was channel 19. They were there a week ago but now blank. TVO 32 registers as 19.1 due to their signal freq. One thing on the plus side was I added channels 6 and 53 out of Lansing."

Here is a trick to try, your receiver keeps it's virtual channels in memory.
That memory does not necessarily get erased when you do a re-scan.
This causes it to look for channels it already has where they are no longer.
Do this: 1) Unhook your antenna, do a complete scan. You should lose everything.
2) re-attach your antenna and do a second scan. This should refresh your memory with all the channels in their new allocations.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:26 pm

I put a set of 'rabbit ears' up in my attic with RG6 to the 2nd floor TV set and pulled the VHF leads 3/4 of the way out and I still had to spend 45 minutes to get both VHF 11 and VHF13 to come-in at 75% regularly in T-town.
Or, is part of the problem the Best Buy and Sony TV's have sh*t for tuners compared to ten years ago when you could get HDTV without an amplifier for your city grade locals?
I mean, I have a 75mile sized log periodic for the 2018 Sony and I have to use a 9dB amp to get the locals, while my 2006 Sony would get all of them on the elevated rabbit ear set without amp (or should I have taken my 2018 Sony back for a problem since it couldn't get any locals without an amp), 9 air miles from the antenna farm?
Hey, who was talking about the luck they had with their folded dipole (FM antenna style)? More details- 8 foot either side of the center connection, ties the ends together, the top and one from each side??

windsor

Post by windsor » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:30 pm

If their new signal direction is a northern pattern I hope they leave a bit of the radiation for Windsor to pick up with a good antenna, and were not in the null.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:57 pm

windsor wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:30 pm
If their new signal direction is a northern pattern I hope they leave a bit of the radiation for Windsor to pick up with a good antenna, and were not in the null.
Here's the pattern, you'll have to find your direction . Ignore the field on the lower right, the only ones that matter are effective ERP on the lower left and direction on the upper right

https://www.rabbitears.info/pattern.php ... =315&erp=3

Well, using this model, it looks like at the point where the Ambassador Bridge intersects with the shore of Canada, it's pretty close to the null, about 56 W. The minimum is 35.64 W.

BUT, it may be receivable. VHF isn't line of sight. Which means that even if the Renaissance Center is in the line of sight, WHNE's signal will be able to travel over it.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:18 pm

Splouge wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:57 pm

... VHF isn't line of sight. Which means that even if the Renaissance Center is in the line of sight, WHNE's signal will be able to travel over it.
VHF is primarily line of sight, but, there's some occasional enhancement when there's ducting and sporadic-e. I don't think ch 3 is going to travel over the Ren Cen. Downtown will be more like a picket fence casting a big bunch of RF shadows. Any propagation through downtown is going to be between or reflected and scattered by buildings,

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:19 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:18 pm
Splouge wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:57 pm

... VHF isn't line of sight. Which means that even if the Renaissance Center is in the line of sight, WHNE's signal will be able to travel over it.
VHF is primarily line of sight, but, there's some occasional enhancement when there's ducting and sporadic-e. I don't think ch 3 is going to travel over the Ren Cen. And "knife edge" refraction doesn't come into play here. Downtown will be more like a picket fence casting a big bunch of RF shadows. Any propagation through downtown is going to be between or reflected and scattered by buildings,

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:11 pm

videocollectore

Post by videocollectore » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:02 pm

WHNE plans to make the switch the first week of March assuming all the new equipment has arrived and the installation crew is ready to go.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:09 pm

They should have done a channel sharing arrangement with the other widely-receivable LPTVs in Detroit.

6 of WHNE's channels could have gone on WUDT's signal
3 on WDWO's signal
The rest on WUDL's signal

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:02 pm

HD74, I did the scan with no ant connected and then a rescan WITH and actually went from 76 to 92 channels. Thanks for the tip.
It must be the TV that titles TVO32 as 19.1 ( the ota freq of TVO)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic