Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
statmanmi

Re: Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Post by statmanmi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:38 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:32 pm
How PITIFUL is it that production is being outsourced to friggin' Dallas?!?!

First Comerica Bank relocates their headquarters to Dallas, and now this is going to be Dallas-based! **

** In March 2007, Comerica Bank announced their corporate headquarters would be moved to Dallas. My quick skim of the Wikipedia article for Comerica and some further Googling reminded me of how surprising this was, given that the entity had:

- Originated as the Detroit Savings Fund Institute in 1849.
- Constructed from 1991 through 1993 their new headquarters in downtown Detroit, what was then named One Detroit Center (now Ally Detroit Center).
- Merged with/absorbed in 1992 Manufacturers National Corporation--also founded in Detroit [in 1933, by Edsel B. Ford].
- During 1998 signed a 30 year deal for naming rights to the then-new stadium for the Tigers, which has thus been known as Comerica Park.

I trust someone will chuckle at this post.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:48 pm

We've heard of out-of-market voicetracking for FM radio, right?

This sounds like the TV news equivalent of "voicetracking" !

By the way, Comerica's decision to move to Dallas was smart. At the time, no major or semi-major bank had its HQ in the DFW metroplex. Economically, DFW has grown by leaps and bounds over the past 15 years.

I want to say Comerica's operations hub remains in Livonia.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:23 pm

No Harry Hairston, no dice.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:25 pm

Was in Tampa last summer and saw the CBS 11 pm news and I've seen 4th grade plays that looked more professional. The writing was like reading the text of a POTUS speech and people walking in front of the camera shot blocking the reporter.
It was like watching a train wreck... but you couldn't turn away.

SBaxley

Post by SBaxley » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:23 pm

I can understand the outsoucing of atlanta's CW news coming from CBS NY
but I do NOT understand why, with both WTOG 44 Tampa and WKBD 50 Detroit with 2 fully operational studios that have already produced 10pm newscasts [until viacom killed them off due to economics in their 1st pairing with CBS] why cant they just allow WTOG and WKBD to produce their own newsers??? or did I just answer my own question... ????

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:29 pm

SBaxley wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:23 pm
I can understand the outsoucing of atlanta's CW news coming from CBS NY
but I do NOT understand why, with both WTOG 44 Tampa and WKBD 50 Detroit with 2 fully operational studios that have already produced 10pm newscasts [until viacom killed them off due to economics in their 1st pairing with CBS] why cant they just allow WTOG and WKBD to produce their own newsers??? or did I just answer my own question... ????
It’s cheaper to have one station produce 2 newscasts than to start a news department from scratch at any level that’ll compete with 2-4-7...

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:55 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Ya mean the weather segments are going to be locally produced? OMG - that changes everything! This two bit effort on the part of CBS is sure to be a rousing success now!

(Let me guess - the weather caster will be the one with the speech impediment who does the cut-ins on 62.)

How PITIFUL is it that production is being outsourced to friggin' Dallas?!?!
So maybe I'm failing to grasp the concept but it sure sounds like the newscasts will be slapped together in a central facility from material gathered/sent in by contracted MMJ's and anchored by whomever is the resident taking head at the central location with local WX cut-in's.

If that's case, ahh... do they plan to have folks like ND's, assignment editors or just have the MMJ's scan the Smallville Weekly Gazette and Shopper for leads, credentialing, press avails and such? Make them drive their own cars for assignments with a magnetic CBS eye logo slapped on like a Domino's pizza delivery guy? PowerPoint printout attached to send to Chyron? Maybe use a Sharpie if it's a breaking story?

Honestly, there's a reason you have to drop at least 7-figures to do a proper news op startup from the ground up and have it not look like the morning report at Praireview High School, but whatever. I think MW is spot-on this is just a quick and dirty way to suck up some political cash in the next six months and then shitcan the thing due to lack of viewer interest/low ratings after November. Might be good for the lulz, but I suspect it will be just sad for everyone involved except ViacomCBS shareholders...

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:27 am

SixPlusOne wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:25 pm
The newscasts will be produced at another CBS-owned station, which will add national news, sports and weather, then sent back to the station where it will air.
In Detroit's case, it will be produced at another CBS-owned station that has a full news department.
SixPlusOne wrote:
WKBD Detroit will debut 10 p.m. news Jan. 22. WUPA Atlanta and WTOG Tampa are expected to start 10 p.m. news in February."
It would also be a return of the 10PM newscasts to WKBD and WTOG -- both were axed in the late-1990s, after the startup of UPN.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:17 am

rugratsonline wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:27 am
SixPlusOne wrote:
The newscasts will be produced at another CBS-owned station, which will add national news, sports and weather, then sent back to the station where it will air.
In Detroit's case, it will be produced at another CBS-owned station that has a full news department.
SixPlusOne wrote:
WKBD Detroit will debut 10 p.m. news Jan. 22. WUPA Atlanta and WTOG Tampa are expected to start 10 p.m. news in February."
It would also be a return of the 10PM newscasts to WKBD and WTOG -- both were axed in the late-1990s, after the startup of UPN.
WKBD’s ended in 2002... then 7 ran it until 2004-ish...

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:57 pm

Karen Carter has confirmed to me on her Facebook page that she will be the Mon.-Fri. Weathercaster on the new "CW 50 10PM News" effective Wed. 1/22/20. Congrats, Karen! https://www.facebook.com/KarenCarterCBS ... 97/?type=3

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:27 pm

I wonder who they hired to be the MMJ's? I'm sure I'll see them out in the field soon enough.

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:59 pm

Editorcj wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:27 pm
I wonder who they hired to be the MMJ's? I'm sure I'll see them out in the field soon enough.
If you think they're going to be seasoned journalists, you'd be dead wrong. My money is on recent Specs grads who have more "content" in their chest areas than in their brains.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:38 pm

IIN4MU wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:59 pm
Editorcj wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:27 pm
If you think they're going to be seasoned journalists, you'd be dead wrong. My money is on recent Specs grads who have more "content" in their chest areas than in their brains.
That’s a negative?

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:59 pm

It's going to be an epic fail will be low in the ratings Fox2 & WXYZ on TV20 will win the ratings. Yeah, I see this going bye bye bye after the election is over as MW said.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:49 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
(Let me guess - the weather caster will be the one with the speech impediment who does the cut-ins on 62.)
As I noted in a thread a while ago, I think she's done an AMAZING job getting that under control. Not sure what took so long and how she was able to stay on the air that long, but I don't find much of an impediment anymore and certainly not to the point of being objectionable. I'll take her 7 days a week and twice on Sundays over Brandon Roux.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic