Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fox’s strategy (WJBK related)

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 7620

Fox’s strategy (WJBK related)

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:13 pm

As we already know, Fox has purchased WITI in Milwaukee and KCPQ in Seattle, while awaiting FCC approval. They’ve already purchased KTVU in San Francisco.

Is the strategy to purchase stations in market that’s an NFC city and/or is college football and basketball ready? WJBK is in the Detroit Lions market and they cover Michigan and Michigan St. WITI obviously covers the Packers and Wisconsin Football. KTVU is the 49ers and Stanford/Cal. Fox has owned KDFW since 1997 and that station covers the Dallas Cowboys. KCPQ is obviously for the Seattle Seahawks and the Washington Huskies.

If that’s the case, can we expect Fox to reclaim WJW in Cleveland, since Cleveland is a top 20 market still, and would obviously cover Ohio State Football?

I am asking, since Fox has the rights to Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac 12 football.

non-anon bob

Re: Fox’s strategy (WJBK related)

Post by non-anon bob » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:11 pm

Fox 8 Cleveland's website currently states ownership by Nexstar Broadcasting. How many TV stations can Fox purchase nationally? Does the FCC have a limit on the number of O & O stations one company can have?

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:32 pm

Aside from failing station waivers, the limit any broadcaster can own is a total of 39% of the national viewing audience.... it could be a few large stations or a ton of smaller ones, and Low-Power/Class-A stations don't count towards that limit.

I think FOX's strategy is to own stations in NFL markets so they can retain the profits from advertising during NFL games. If i remember, they sold WJW 8 in Cleveland (and seven other O&O's) back in 2007 to Local TV LLC, who then was bought up by Tribune in 2013.

While i want to say "it's likely FOX will buy the station back in the next couple of years", they actually stated they're not interested in resuming ownership of WJW: https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment ... tions.html

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:11 pm

I wonder what WJW’s affiliation contract with FOX is. I wouldn’t rule out FOX buying another station in the market and switching.

Captain Rock

Post by Captain Rock » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:54 pm

FOX has the contract for NFC (National Football Conference) teams. The Cleveland Browns are an AFC team. This is why FOX was willing to give up O and O stations in Cleveland and Boston. CBS has the AFC contract. There are some cross conference games and other rare exceptions.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:13 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:11 pm
I wonder what WJW’s affiliation contract with FOX is. I wouldn’t rule out FOX buying another station in the market and switching.

I’m surprised CBS hasn’t bought WOIO and WUAB, since they are affiliated with CBS and the CW, respectfully. Since CBS carries AFC games and the Cleveland Browns are in the AFC, this makes since.

Remember, CBS owns KDKA, WBZ, and WJZ. That covers Pittsburgh, Boston, and Baltimore. Guess what those stations cover? The Pittsburgh Steelers, New England Patriots, and Baltimore Ravens respectfully. All are AFC teams.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:56 pm

I read that Nexstar fought to keep WJW and not wanting to give it to Fox when the Tribune merger went final.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic