Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
WOHO

Re: WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Post by WOHO » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:23 pm

Yep, two routes with 93.1 - give local drive time, or find another station to whip the ole Doug FM on, including an AM station- hell, I think you could put a Jack format on 910AM and have Adell sell the station to ClearChannel/iHeart and put their Sunny format on it.
But back to WJR- WTH. Go all news and take-on 950 WWJ or go crazoid and format it as a full-service with music and news every 15 minutes traffic on the 6's and make it sound like a 1999 CFCO Classic Gold with all local news. 2.0 for one of THE best signals in the lower 48 states is so sad, take it away from Cumulus and give to someone who wants to be successful with 760 again.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:01 pm

Hardly anyone under the age of 75 has any desire to resort to AM radio as a source for mainstream music, especially in a major metro area. (Foreign language programming? Different story.)

The notion of iHM purchasing another AM station locally for purposes of programming a MUSIC format is hilarious; thanks for the laugh.

Want to see successful programming on 760? Here's what it will take:
- Much better presentation of the news. The newscasts sound dull and lack energy.
- Much better promotion / marketing / community outreach. The station needs to expand beyond a social circle of elitists.
- Better content. No one wants to hear old geezers doing interviews with their country club buddies.
- Tackle controversial topics & public figures in depth. WJR needs to grow a set of balls.
- Do more issue-oriented talk on the weekend. Travelogue, home repair, and appliance repair advice shows will only take you so far in the ratings. People who aren't of retirement age go to YouTube for advice on such matters; they don't call into a radio show and wait on hold forever hoping their topic of interest will be addressed!

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:18 pm

tivoking wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:49 pm
Smartphones only have FM radio tuners, if they even have that. I think the Samsung Galaxy might be one of the few that do. AM radio sucks in the home nowadays with all of the interference, from Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and the Lions suck on WJR, so no one listens.
For most of those that have FM tuners, you have to download NextRadio to even unlock the FM chip. NextRadio also no longer offers streaming.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:24 pm

WOHO wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:23 pm
Yep, two routes with 93.1 - give local drive time, or find another station to whip the ole Doug FM on, including an AM station- hell, I think you could put a Jack format on 910AM and have Adell sell the station to ClearChannel/iHeart and put their Sunny format on it.
But back to WJR- WTH. Go all news and take-on 950 WWJ or go crazoid and format it as a full-service with music and news every 15 minutes traffic on the 6's and make it sound like a 1999 CFCO Classic Gold with all local news. 2.0 for one of THE best signals in the lower 48 states is so sad, take it away from Cumulus and give to someone who wants to be successful with 760 again.
AM 1310 tried a "WJR throwback" format in the late '90s, with MOR music and old school WJR personalities. I'd listen if WJR were to go that route again, but I think the only other listeners would be those who were listening to 760 in the '80s and earlier for something other than Tiger baseball, and as M.W. said they would all be out of the desirable demos.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:04 pm

Yeah, I am a WJR 80's listener, at the half century mark, and who thinks Cumulus should have outbid CBS at any cost to get the Tigers for 5 years to reboot WJR back to 80's style, IMO.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:20 pm

Tigers/Wings would help the numbers a small amount, if the teams start turning it around. Unlikely on both fronts in the near future,

I am one of the few under 75 who would listen to music on AM, if it’s the type I enjoy. I enjoy tuning to CKWW on occasion. You can’t run a station on radio geeks though.

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:59 pm

Yea, I really hate to be a pile-on. This is a really depressing thread. Sadly, there is a lot of truth. WJR (and the AM band) is unsalvageable.

I don’t know of one person that listens to AM, let alone radio in general. I’m in my mid-50s. I solely rely upon my smartphone for weather, traffic, local gas station prices, sports and sadly music, too.

I have no grandiose solutions to get people my age and younger to the AM band. Economically, the AM band makes no sense to exist. Maybe taking into consideration the power bill, real estate, licensing, insurance, equipment and employees, an ethnic or religious group could exist, but, I don’t know.

If WWJ/Entercom is remotely serious about keeping the viability of the “All News” brand for the next five years, they have better get their programming on a full-power FM PRONTO.

Furthermore, I submit that the FM band is going down the same “point of no return”. I just do not see a station on ANY band with the same numbers/listenership as 10 years ago, AM or FM.

My how the mighty have fallen. But, holy cow, 20 years ago, no one could have seen the magnitude of influence of these new media.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic