Registrations in the queue through July 3 at 8:30p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:09 pm

Not quite the all-time record low 2.0 share that AM 760 recorded in the 6/20 – 7/17 survey period, but man oh man, they sure came close to matching that embarrassing feat!

Christmas Music did not perform well for 98.7; that surprises me a little bit. Interestingly, 100.3 stuck with Christmas music today. 98.7 meanwhile ran away from it as fast as it could. :)

https://radioinsight.com/ratings/detroit/


Caroline Beasley is ruining WRIF. What a bitch!!!

Mega Hertz
Posts: 1074
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:35 pm

Hm.

Oh well.


"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MrTaterSalad
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:18 pm

Re: WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Post by MrTaterSalad » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:50 pm

No one at iHateLocalRadio Detroit bothers to pay attention to the content on the website of WNIC it seems. This is the bio for their new nighttime host at WNIC Jennie James . . .
JENNIE JAMES
Jennie James gets you through the workday middays on Q101.9. Get their official bio, articles and more on Q 101.9! Read more
Also, just to ask the question for the billionth time, but how bad does it have to get at Nash-FM before the plug is pulled?



JLesinski
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 11:43 pm

Re: WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Post by JLesinski » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:55 pm

Love seeing WRIF going strong and WLLZ still lagging WAAAAAAY behind.
Casey: Nobody wants what you're programming. It's very simple: Play great tunes from the 80's and 90's. Forget the 70's overplayed stuff.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:41 am

There's no reason to pull the plug on Nash FM.

For as low budget as that station is, a 2.9 share is very respectable.

There is no other music format where a 2.9 share can be achieved with as small a budget....NONE!!! The station spends almost NO money on programming morning drive, evenings or overnights.

Remember, Doug FM toward the end was only achieving shares in the low 2's. WDRQ as a stale sounding CHR/Pop station was in that ballpark, too. 98.7 Damp Radio with a 100% local airstaff and very young demos (too young) was in the mid 2's.

To me, the argument should NOT be whether or not 93.1 stays Country. Instead, the question should be whether or not additional investment should be made in on-air programming to try to raise the station's stature.


Caroline Beasley is ruining WRIF. What a bitch!!!

Mega Hertz
Posts: 1074
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:18 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:41 am
There's no reason to pull the plug on Nash FM.

For as low budget as that station is, a 2.9 share is very respectable.

There is no other music format where a 2.9 share can be achieved with as small a budget....NONE!!! The station spends almost NO money on programming morning drive, evenings or overnights.

Remember, Doug FM toward the end was only achieving shares in the low 2's. WDRQ as a stale sounding CHR/Pop station was in that ballpark, too. 98.7 Damp Radio with a 100% local airstaff and very young demos (too young) was in the mid 2's.

To me, the argument should NOT be whether or not 93.1 stays Country. Instead, the question should be whether or not additional investment should be made in on-air programming to try to raise the station's stature.
Yep. Corporate radio mindset..."Don't 'win', just pull a couple shares from the other guy".


"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

armchair pd
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:46 pm
Location: B.F.E.

Re: WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Post by armchair pd » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:19 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:41 am
There's no reason to pull the plug on Nash FM.

For as low budget as that station is, a 2.9 share is very respectable.

There is no other music format where a 2.9 share can be achieved with as small a budget....NONE!!! The station spends almost NO money on programming morning drive, evenings or overnights.

Remember, Doug FM toward the end was only achieving shares in the low 2's. WDRQ as a stale sounding CHR/Pop station was in that ballpark, too. 98.7 Damp Radio with a 100% local airstaff and very young demos (too young) was in the mid 2's.

To me, the argument should NOT be whether or not 93.1 stays Country. Instead, the question should be whether or not additional investment should be made in on-air programming to try to raise the station's stature.
Good points.
I'm curious what the demo breakouts look like after 10 am. YCD skews older, I wonder what 18-34 looks like.
I think outside of that awful morning show, Nash sounds pretty damn good. Dump that, and get some marketing dollars, things could get interesting.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:42 am

I think 93.1 would be within a point of WYCD on a consistent basis if it were to invest in a decent LOCAL morning show. From time to time, 93.1 would even have a fighting chance of tying WYCD.

Run Ty Bentli on the HD2, and get his lame ass off the main channel.


Caroline Beasley is ruining WRIF. What a bitch!!!

User avatar
Colonel Flagg
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:01 pm

Guy Gordon is nearly unlistenable. He either needs a co-host, or they need to pull the plug. Guy is frequently "schooled" by his callers. Listening to his show is like watching a train wreck or a plane crash in instant replay.

Frank Beckmann may be a legend in sports, but falls short as a current events talk show host. While I often agree with his political leanings, he's a blithering idiot. Case in point, count how many times he says "At any rate..." during the show. That would make for a fantastic drinking game. :rollin


"Nobody can get the truth out of me because even I don't know what it is. I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion."

User avatar
Colonel Flagg
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:09 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:18 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:41 am
There's no reason to pull the plug on Nash FM.

For as low budget as that station is, a 2.9 share is very respectable.

There is no other music format where a 2.9 share can be achieved with as small a budget....NONE!!! The station spends almost NO money on programming morning drive, evenings or overnights.

Remember, Doug FM toward the end was only achieving shares in the low 2's. WDRQ as a stale sounding CHR/Pop station was in that ballpark, too. 98.7 Damp Radio with a 100% local airstaff and very young demos (too young) was in the mid 2's.

To me, the argument should NOT be whether or not 93.1 stays Country. Instead, the question should be whether or not additional investment should be made in on-air programming to try to raise the station's stature.
Yep. Corporate radio mindset..."Don't 'win', just pull a couple shares from the other guy".
Mega, I agree. I come from the "play to win" era. We never had "flanker" stations back then, purely designed to nip at the competition's heels. The excuses outlined above are laughable. Sometimes, I fear that MW is being held against his will by Gary Berkowitz or Walt Sabo. :lol


"Nobody can get the truth out of me because even I don't know what it is. I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion."

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:09 pm

So, you think there's a music format out there that would command stronger ratings with the same size budget?

BTW, I'm not defending WDRQ/Nash-FM's small budget. To the contrary. I've advocated for YEARS for the station to go 100% local in morning drive.

I continue to believe that the station would earn bigger ratings and command a greater share of ad spending, too, if it were to go 100% local in mornings - the only caveat being that any local show better be GOOD, not a pile of garbage like what 106.7 The Fox featured.

Tater Salad wants the station to go All Sports, if I remember correctly. Such a format move would be insanely stupid, in my view.


Caroline Beasley is ruining WRIF. What a bitch!!!

Y M Ionhere
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:31 pm
Location: Where the sun no longer shines

Re: WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Post by Y M Ionhere » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:45 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:41 am
There's no reason to pull the plug on Nash FM.

For as low budget as that station is, a 2.9 share is very respectable.

There is no other music format where a 2.9 share can be achieved with as small a budget....NONE!!! The station spends almost NO money on programming morning drive, evenings or overnights.

Remember, Doug FM toward the end was only achieving shares in the low 2's. WDRQ as a stale sounding CHR/Pop station was in that ballpark, too. 98.7 Damp Radio with a 100% local airstaff and very young demos (too young) was in the mid 2's.

To me, the argument should NOT be whether or not 93.1 stays Country. Instead, the question should be whether or not additional investment should be made in on-air programming to try to raise the station's stature.
How many country stations do you think this market needs?
Right now, country is popular because it has crossover appeal with pop music. I dont think it does well at all with hip hop audiences, and with younger demos, that seems to be the most stable format locally.
Pop consumers are more likely to get music from alternate sources, such as Pandora.
Detroit is leaning more toward "urban" programming. We dont have great rock programming. Classic rock and oldies stations are stuck on overplayed 80s music. Pop stations sound more like rap.
Detroit isnt the worst place to find a country audience but i dont see terrestrial radio properly catering to it here.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:18 pm

How many country stations do you think this market needs?
Two, which is precisely what it has now (not counting "fringe" signals that are technically "in the market" such as WSAQ Port Huron).
Right now, country is popular because it has crossover appeal with pop music. I dont think it does well at all with hip hop audiences, and with younger demos, that seems to be the most stable format locally.
WYCD has long earned good to even sensational numbers with A18-34 listeners. Before WDRQ went country, WYCD at times was #1 in Adults 18-34 and was consistently in the top three.
We don't have great rock programming.
Compared to other metro areas that are in the top 25 in population, the rock radio offerings in Detroit are actually quite good. Detroit beats Chicago, New York, Washington, Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles, Houston, and San Francisco in that department by leaps and bounds.
Pop stations sound more like rap.
I disagree. Is there some crossover? Of course. But if you listen to an hour's worth of music on WKQI and compare it to an hour's worth of music on either WJLB or WGPR, there are very noticeable differences.

Perhaps your real complaint pertains to the lack of rock crossover product on CHR/Pop radio these days.

There is plenty of pure play "pop" music that is neither hip-hop or rock.


Caroline Beasley is ruining WRIF. What a bitch!!!

radioandtventhusiast
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:55 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:09 pm
Not quite the all-time record low 2.0 share that AM 760 recorded in the 6/20 – 7/17 survey period, but man oh man, they sure came close to matching that embarrassing feat!

Christmas Music did not perform well for 98.7; that surprises me a little bit. Interestingly, 100.3 stuck with Christmas music today. 98.7 meanwhile ran away from it as fast as it could. :)

https://radioinsight.com/ratings/detroit/
Looking at the ratings, I'm surprised GPR beat out WJR. When an Urban station with a small but loyal audience beats out a heritage talk station that's been around for generations, that tells you how much listener habits are changing.



radioandtventhusiast
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: WJR shits the bed again...this time with a 2.2 share!

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:06 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:41 am
There's no reason to pull the plug on Nash FM.

For as low budget as that station is, a 2.9 share is very respectable.

There is no other music format where a 2.9 share can be achieved with as small a budget....NONE!!! The station spends almost NO money on programming morning drive, evenings or overnights.

Remember, Doug FM toward the end was only achieving shares in the low 2's. WDRQ as a stale sounding CHR/Pop station was in that ballpark, too. 98.7 Damp Radio with a 100% local airstaff and very young demos (too young) was in the mid 2's.

To me, the argument should NOT be whether or not 93.1 stays Country. Instead, the question should be whether or not additional investment should be made in on-air programming to try to raise the station's stature.
I think Nash will stick around for a few years. As long as it has a decent audience, I too don't see a need for a switch.

93.1's always been the weakest link in the ABC/Citadel/Cumulus cluster, so for a 2.9 share, it's not bad at all for them.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic