Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WDIV new set

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
OnTopic

WDIV new set

Post by OnTopic » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:19 am

The debut was this weekend. Thoughts?
Karen Drew gave a full behind the scenes look on her Facebook page if you need a place to see it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WDIV new set

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:34 am

Looks a lot like the old one based on what I saw this morning. A ton of bright blue, bright silver and spansive video walls.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:18 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:34 am
Looks a lot like the old one based on what I saw this morning. A ton of bright blue, bright silver and spansive video walls.
The 1300some LCD screens or whatever is new… the desk isn’t as nice as the old one… it’s too tall and the anchors look rather strange straight on… I agree they didn’t exactly reinvent the wheel here. We will be seeing a lot of stand up shots with the weather anchor and main anchors in the same shot me thinks.

Watching their 11pm newscast from last night, I’m not a fan of looking at a video shot of a screen as opposed to a full screen graphic… they did this for the 7 day forecast. As an aside… why do they have so much trouble hiring weather people who talk like normal forecasters? Ron Hilliard is painful and reminds me a lot of a poor man’s Andrew Humphrey who had a lot of the same tendencies.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:51 pm

Yeah, the straight-on anchor shot this morning did not look very good (the angle was weird and the backdrop far too bright), and I agree that the new desk is a downgrade from the old one.

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:11 pm

I guess this is the way things are going. Makes me think of a miniature CNN or something, weirdly enough.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:27 am

Saw some weathercasts on 4 this morning. The graphics on that diagonally positioned monitor look truly AWFUL!

There is a ton of light glare, and the color contrast and sharpness of the weather maps is totally piss poor.

Do directors / producers / whomever not think this shit through before going to air with it?

Nice job, Loco 4, ruining what had been a pretty good newscast. Channels 2, 7 and 62 thank you for that.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:45 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:27 am
Saw some weathercasts on 4 this morning. The graphics on that diagonally positioned monitor look truly AWFUL!

There is a ton of light glare, and the color contrast and sharpness of the weather maps is totally piss poor.

Do directors / producers / whomever not think this shit through before going to air with it?

Nice job, Loco 4, ruining what had been a pretty good newscast. Channels 2, 7 and 62 thank you for that.
They had the same shot Saturday night with lots of glare. Why do I want to look at a picture of a screen that has the picture I want on it anyways?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:16 am

And it's positioned sideways to boot! Yeah, no thanks.

The setup 62 uses, after some tweaks that took time to implement, works well. (Initially, I was not a fan.)

These massive videos walls - when used to present the news or weather - do not look good at all and is a trend that needs to die.

Michiganviewer

Post by Michiganviewer » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:27 pm

Watched 4 news this evening and the desk is horrible and looks awkwardly uncomfortable for the anchors as the desk is so small for all them to sit next to each other. That desk does not belong on a news set.

The video wall screens are nice and love how they can walk to it and it fills up the camera shot with no spaces.

Now channel 4 just needs talent. Rhonda Walker is the only one I can stand watching on 4.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:32 am

Michiganviewer wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:27 pm
Watched 4 news this evening and the desk is horrible and looks awkwardly uncomfortable for the anchors as the desk is so small for all them to sit next to each other. That desk does not belong on a news set.

The video wall screens are nice and love how they can walk to it and it fills up the camera shot with no spaces.

Now channel 4 just needs talent. Rhonda Walker is the only one I can stand watching on 4.
I get a mid morning lifestyle vibe out of the desk… it looks out of place on an evening newscast. It might be ok for a coffee shop setting on a wake up show.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic