Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Public TV moving, current home sold

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
ZenithCKLW

Detroit Public TV moving, current home sold

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:21 pm

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-est ... s-new-home

Seems like a 20 year home isn’t very long for a major TV station. I wonder where they will move.

Round Six

Special

Post by Round Six » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:14 pm

Someone posting a link that requires a subscription always surprises me for some reason.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

ZenithCKLW

Re: Detroit Public TV moving, current home sold

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:19 pm

Someone saying “I seen” always surprises me for some reason.

Here: https://archive.ph/vsioy

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:19 pm

Most of the programming on PBS these days is dreadfully bad.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:30 pm

I think PBS still has a number of good shows and original specials. They have great documentaries and historical specials. As well, I enjoy the PBS News Hour over any other the other daily news shows. I watch Frontline, Nature, and Nova as well. There are worse things you could watch and rot your brain with, like watching college dropout Sean Hannity on Fox or really anything on the network.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:57 am

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:30 pm
I think PBS still has a number of good shows and original specials. They have great documentaries and historical specials. As well, I enjoy the PBS News Hour over any other the other daily news shows. I watch Frontline, Nature, and Nova as well. There are worse things you could watch and rot your brain with, like watching college dropout Sean Hannity on Fox or really anything on the network.
I'll agree with you on this. However the point I ponder is this. How much of the content yourself and I enjoy is locally produced?

Seems everything you mentioned originates from another PBS station, not Detroit. So other than space for dishes and equipment to download content from elsewhere, just how much room do Detroit's PBS stations really need?

I'll assume on the wish list is another permanent home as large, if not larger than where they left in Wixom. And that was a big place.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:59 am

Round Six wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:57 am
MrTaterSalad wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:30 pm
I'll agree with you on this. However the point I ponder is this. How much of the content yourself and I enjoy is locally produced?

Seems everything you mentioned originates from another PBS station, not Detroit. So other than space for dishes and equipment to download content from elsewhere, just how much room do Detroit's PBS stations really need?

I'll assume on the wish list is another permanent home as large, if not larger than where they left in Wixom. And that was a big place.

I would assume American Black Journal is produced locally with Stephen Henderson formerly of the Free Press and WDET.

edj

Post by edj » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:18 am

How much space does 56 really need? This sale has been planned for two years, is it to downsize or actually increase studio space?

My guess is they will move back Downtown, assuming tax incentives are adequate.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:12 am

IIRC, their building is actually two completely separate buildings, with an 'air gap' of less than 6" in between them. Don't remember the logic of why it was done that way.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:21 am

They should have stayed in their old facilities behind the Fisher Building, in the New Center area.

Is Rich Homberg still in charge?

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:42 pm

Was the New Center site originally WJBK-TV's facility?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:18 pm

I agree with the prediction that DPTV will ultimately move back to the city.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:54 pm

"DPTV" sounds like a pr0n site Neckbeard visits.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:55 pm

I always thought it was odd that they were all the way almost out to South Lyon despite being based a detroit based channel

edj

Post by edj » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:24 am

They moved to an area with a population boom at the time- a stone’s throw from Lyon Township (Napier is the boundary). It’s the same as when 2 and 7 moved to Southfield in the 50s.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic