Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Nexstar's CWNetwork looking for a new detroit home as Scripps pulls affiliation from its stations

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SBaxley

Nexstar's CWNetwork looking for a new detroit home as Scripps pulls affiliation from its stations

Post by SBaxley » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 pm

"The lighthouse" will drop its CW Network affiliation from several of its television stations later this year,the website "THE DESK" has reported
The move will impact stations in seven markets including WMYD, with Scripps reconfiguring the schedules of each station to include more local, news and sports programming.

“This is an opportunity for us to bring Scripps’ excellent local and national programming – entertainment from our networks, news from local stations and Scripps News and, in some markets, local sports rights – to even more audiences across the country,” a spokesperson for Scripps said that it was “still in the process of determining exactly what the new programming will look like in each affected market.”
The stations that will lose the CW Network affiliation besides WMYD,on September 1 include:
KATC (Channel 3) in Lafayette, Louisiana
KWBA (Channel 58) in Tucson
KSBY (Channel 8) in Santa Barbara, California
KZTV (Channel 10) in Corpus Christi
WGNT (Channel 27) in Norfolk, Virginia
WSFL (Channel 39) in Miami

Tvguy

Re: Nexstar's CWNetwork looking for a new detroit home as Scripps pulls affiliation from its stations

Post by Tvguy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:34 pm

Déjà Vu, here we go again! This time the CW Network will be kicked off of WMYD TV-20 on September 1, 2024. The first time around they were kicked off of WKBD TV-50 on September 1, 2023, then they were kicked off of WADL TV-38 in October 2023, and now WMYD.

[https://thedesk.net/news/scripps-droppi ... -stations/]

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Nexstar's CWNetwork looking for a new detroit home as Scripps pulls affiliation from its stations

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 pm

The "local sports" reference is interesting.

We saw some Pistons and Wings games air on 20 this month. I wonder if more of that is in store for this autumn?

There has to be something inherently wrong with how CW approaches affiliation. Losing multiple major station groups as affiliation partners is no accident.

I've noted previously how ION's primetime ratings are significantly better than those of the CW. If I'm not mistaken, I believe MeTV and even Grit produce stronger HH ratings in primetime.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:03 pm

I am all for local sports rights on channel 20.

I’m assuming it’s not going to a subchannel of 7 or 20. If they don’t come crawling back to 38 or 50, there isn’t much left. A subchannel of 4 would be most likely. I don’t see 31 or a subchannel of 2. Longshot is low power WHNE or not being in the market at all.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:03 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 pm
The "local sports" reference is interesting.

We saw some Pistons and Wings games air on 20 this month. I wonder if more of that is in store for this autumn?

There has to be something inherently wrong with how CW approaches affiliation. Losing multiple major station groups as affiliation partners is no accident.

I've noted previously how ION's primetime ratings are significantly better than those of the CW. If I'm not mistaken, I believe MeTV and even Grit produce stronger HH ratings in primetime.
They kept hyping that “Scripps Sports” was producing the games or something… they must have seen the light on just how lucrative that can be…

Tvguy

Post by Tvguy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:11 pm

Rumor has it that Scripps is going to move to Sports on WMYD, they think the Diamond Sport Network will only last another 6 months or so before imploding and then all local Sports will need to move over to “Over The Air” free broadcasting like it was in the early to mid-1990s before the advent of ESPN and other local Sports networks like PASS Sports. I worked many a tiger’s game as their video engineer from the old ballpark for WKBD. Scripps is positioning themselves for this move. First they have to ride themselves of the CW affiliation to clear their schedule for Local Sports broadcasts.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:32 am

edj wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:03 pm
I am all for local sports rights on channel 20.

I’m assuming it’s not going to a subchannel of 7 or 20. If they don’t come crawling back to 38 or 50, there isn’t much left. A subchannel of 4 would be most likely. I don’t see 31 or a subchannel of 2. Longshot is low power WHNE or not being in the market at all.

Oh great, the options are a station in Macomb County or stuffing sports with lots of motion on a 2 megabit MPEG2 sub-channel. The primary channels are awful anyway, this would be just torture.

Then again, given how the networks have made every effort to go direct to the viewers in the Detroit DMA, I can see WDIV preempting network for local sports. They did it for Pistons games on HD for at least two seasons.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:45 am

I never, ever remember WDIV carrying Pistons games (aside from those carried as part of NBA on NBC network coverage in the 90s).

WKBD and then WMYD (WDWB) were the Pistons Television Network flagships before FS Detroit purchased rights to all telecasts (after previously having only partial rights).

My guess is CW will kiss and make up with WADL. If that doesn't happen, then maybe WDIV will ditch the god awful "This" network from 4.2 and install CW programming there. If neither of those things happen, then CW will probably just work out deals with cable and sat providers to carry their lame national feed and forego an OTA signal.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:58 am

The last 3 Wings games that aired on TV-20 did very well, with good ratings for the broadcast as well as the pre and post game shows produced by 7's Sports department. I see expansion of this next season, if the Pistons can ever return to relevance, then it could be a win win win for the teams, Ballys and Scripps. The biggest question would be what form Ballys Detroit becomes in the end.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:58 am

This is what happens when a major broadcast network cancels its most successful shows and puts syndicated reruns on its national schedule on some nights.

I just hope that Scripps' stations keep Antenna TV, that's my favorite channel. I look forward every weekend to Bachelor Father and Benny Hill.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:03 pm

Bally's is supposed to start a streaming relationship with Amazon Prime this autumn.

I doubt Amazon Prime wants to complete with free OTA telecasts, but the teams themselves might find the wide exposure offered by OTA broadcast availability alluring.

I'd love to see more games on channel 20, personally speaking.

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:10 pm

Scripps Sports is a legit brand. VGK, Former AZ Coyotes, WNBA, et al.

Surmise that WMYD does indeed go sports. It could work.

To my knowledge, they currently air some Oakland U hoops, Detroit City Football Club and more recently a couple Pistons and Wings games.

WMYD is must-carry over most Metro Detroit cable systems. No OTA for Bally.

(How is that Diamond/Bally/Sinclair financial meltdown going anyhow?)

PWHL will be coming here. Maybe WNBA? High schools? Other colleges? WMYD would be an excellent fit.

CW is a losing proposition.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:51 pm

WMYD is not carried by any of the big three streaming services: YouTube TV, Hulu, and DirecTV Stream.

WKBD is found on all three.

Mike Murri or some flunky Scripps corporate SVP needs to get off their ass and find a way to improve distribution of WMYD.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:54 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:51 pm
WMYD is not carried by any of the big three streaming services: YouTube TV, Hulu, and DirecTV Stream.

WKBD is found on all three.

Mike Murri or some flunky Scripps corporate SVP needs to get off their ass and find a way to improve distribution of WMYD.
I would have hoped if 7 is carried by the streamers that would automatically drag 20 along for the ride. I use YouTube TV so this won’t be helpful. For that matter Bally isn’t carried either.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:01 pm

Exactly. It's bizarre that 7 is carried but 20 is not. Scripps bought channel 20 maybe eight years ago?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic