Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Dan in Northville

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Dan in Northville » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:18 pm

Looking forward to Ron's reflections on the death of Tiger pitching coach Roger Craig. Another "great man" to be sure.

edj

Post by edj » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:33 pm

Didn’t realize Roger Craig started with the Brooklyn Dodgers. Baseball Reference states only eight of them are still alive, most notably Sandy “Kovacs” of course. Maybe Kurt can make a game out of this. Best baseball team by position of teams that have since moved.

I wonder if Ron talked to Roger in the past few days?

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:16 pm

Dan in Northville wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:18 pm
Looking forward to Ron's reflections on the death of Tiger pitching coach Roger Craig. Another "great man" to be sure.
With Ron, it will probably be the jumping off point to something else. For example, Roger Craig was the pitching coach for the '84 Tigers. One of the players on that team was Howard Johnson, who I think Ron roomed with or treated to a meal or gave a ride to or from the airport. That will lead to stories of other people who received similar treatment from Ron, leading of course to Cory Lidle.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:33 am

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:16 pm
With Ron, it will probably be the jumping off point to something else. For example, Roger Craig was the pitching coach for the '84 Tigers. One of the players on that team was Howard Johnson, who I think Ron roomed with or treated to a meal or gave a ride to or from the airport. That will lead to stories of other people who received similar treatment from Ron, leading of course to Cory Lidle.
Ah, Cory Lidle.

I don't see that the (paywalled) NYT account of the crash has been reprinted here (at least it hasn't in the "new" thread) so here it is:

"A single-engine plane carrying the Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle smashed into a 42-story building on the Upper East Side yesterday, killing Mr. Lidle and his flight instructor, the authorities said.

The afternoon crash beneath overcast skies sent debris clattering hundreds of feet to the sidewalk and started a fire that destroyed several apartments and left a charred smudge on the face of the building.

Fourteen firefighters and four people in the building were injured, officials said, including a woman who had been in an apartment hit squarely by the plane and escaped the inferno, suffering burns.

The plane, owned by Mr. Lidle, was a Cirrus SR20, a four-seat propeller plane that is popular for its performance and sleek looks. It has a fixed landing gear reminiscent of a stunt plane. With two sets of controls, officials said, either Mr. Lidle or his instructor could have been flying it.

Debbie Hersman, a spokeswoman for the National Transportation Safety Board, said today in a televised interview that investigators had found Mr. Lidle’s flying logbook amid the rubble. She said it showed that Mr. Lidle had recorded over 80 hours in the air, more than half of them as pilot in command.

But she said that did not mean that he was necessarily in control at the time of the crash.

It slammed into the center of a 501-foot building on East 72nd Street several hundred yards from the East River. New Yorkers with memories of the Sept. 11 attack on the World Trade Center watched smoke drifting toward the sky as firefighters clambered into another high-rise, and the North American Aerospace Defense Command scrambled military jets. Some worried that they had witnessed another terrorist attack, but officials quickly dismissed that notion.

Mr. Lidle, 34, a pilot for less than a year who was traded to the Yankees in the summer, had talked enthusiastically about flying to his home in California this week.

As he cleaned out his locker at Yankee Stadium on Sunday, the day after the Yankees’ playoff hopes fizzled in a series loss in Detroit against the Tigers, he said that he planned to work on instrument training exercises yesterday before he left for California, and that his regular instructor, whom he identified as Tyler Stanger, was coming in to work with him. Officials said they believed that Mr. Stanger was the second victim.

The plane took off from Teterboro Airport in New Jersey about 2:30 p.m., according to a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said it circled the Statue of Liberty before heading north by the East River. Radar contact was lost around the Queensboro Bridge. He said it was not clear why the plane veered toward Manhattan, apparently after traveling farther north, and hit the building on the north side about 12 minutes after takeoff. The plane never got higher than 800 feet, according to Passur, a flight-tracking service.

Pilots describe that area of the East River as a particularly treacherous corridor that tends to be crowded with helicopters. Several witnesses said the plane appeared to be in trouble moments before it crashed. One investigator said initial reports indicated that the aircraft had radioed La Guardia Airport to say that it was running low on fuel.

The plane disintegrated as it hit the building, shaking bricks loose from the façade, and ended up as a smoking wreckage on the street. “The engine with the propeller was two feet inside the window,” another investigator said, adding that much of the rest of the plane had fallen to the street outside the building, at 524 East 72nd Street.

The plane bore into an apartment on the 30th floor, which under the building’s numbering system is Apt. 40ABG. Dr. Parviz Benhuri, who owns the apartment with his wife, Ilana, said she was at home when the plane blasted through the window and the apartment went up in flames.

“She told me she saw the window come out and the fire comes,” he said. “She told me she saw the window coming out and she ran. She’s in shock. She’s lucky she made it. It’s a miracle.”

She ran down the stairs and went to the emergency room at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center a couple of blocks away.

Three other people walked down from lower floors and were treated for exhaustion, one city official said.

Other witnesses said that the sequence of events leading to the crash unfolded so quickly that they realized only later that noises they had heard must have come from Mr. Lidle’s plane.

“It sounded like a truck gearing down,” said Kim Quarterman, a doorman at a nearby building. “Then I saw a cloud of smoke.”

Jeremy Chassen, a real estate developer who was in an apartment across the street, recognized the droning of an airplane engine — he has taken flight lessons himself.

Joanne Hartlaub, an actress and filmmaker who was working out in a gym across the street, heard explosions and a “loud whooshing noise, like something falling, very loud.”

She said she saw “this large object falling from the sky; it was aluminum and it was smoking.”

Inside the building that was struck, five construction workers going over renovation plans for an apartment on the 42nd floor looked out the window and the plane bearing down on them. One of the workers, Luis Gonzalez, 23, said it was so close that he could see the pilot’s face.

“It was coming right at us,” he said. “The whole building shook. Then we ran for the elevator.”

Fuel burned on the sidewalk as black smoke rose from the apartments above.

In the penthouse, a housekeeper, Ann Robert, was ironing clothes. “I heard a boom and saw smoke and ashes outside the kitchen window,” she said, “and then the painter came running in frantically from working in the baby’s room,” Ms. Robert said.

Her 21-year-old daughter was also in the apartment, watching television and talking on the telephone. Within seconds, Ms. Robert had grabbed her purse and was hurrying her to get out. “Let’s go. Let’s go. Let’s go,” she shouted.

“Death was going through my mind,” Ms. Robert said. “When I saw the smoke, I did not know if we would make it out alive.” She added, “As I was coming down the stairs I thought that the whole building might come down and that me and my daughter might go at the same time. But once we got past the 30th floor, I said in my mind that maybe we were safe.”

The building is a condominium with residents like Marvin R. Shanken, the publisher of Cigar Aficionado and other specialty magazines; Marvin S. Traub, the former head of Bloomingdale’s; and Carol Higgins Clark, a mystery writer who is the daughter of Mary Higgins Clark. A dozen lower floors are used by the Hospital for Special Surgery for offices and guest rooms for patients’ families.

The building remained closed to residents last night. While structurally sound, a spokeswoman for the Department of Buildings said that there had been extensive damage and, with only one elevator working, it was not suitable for people to return.

For the Yankees, Mr. Lidle’s death stirred memories of another player who perished at the controls of his own plane, the catcher Thurman Munson, in 1979. But where Mr. Munson was the team captain, Mr. Lidle was still something of a newcomer.

A 5-foot-11 right-hander who rarely threw his fastball above 90 miles an hour, he was not drafted out of high school and played for three organizations in the minor leagues, including an independent team, before joining the Mets in 1997. He had also played for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, the Oakland Athletics, the Toronto Blue Jays, the Cincinnati Reds and the Philadelphia Phillies before joining the Yankees.

“He was a good guy, a real competitor,” said Brian Cashman, the Yankees’ general manager. “He wasn’t here long, but I saw him compete for years with different teams, and he had a lot of success. That’s one of the reasons why we wanted him.”

Mr. Lidle made one memorable start, a victory on Aug. 21 that concluded the Yankees’ five-game sweep of the Red Sox in Boston’s Fenway Park. He had a 4-3 record with a 5.16 earned run average for the Yankees and made a brief relief appearance in the team’s final playoff game on Saturday.

For his career, Lidle was 82-72 with a 4.57 earned run average, pitching in 277 games. He was a free agent and was not expected to return to the Yankees, though he said on Sunday that he hoped to sign a two-year contract this winter.

Mr. Lidle, who was married with a 6-year-old son, lived in Glendora, Calif. He had earned his pilot’s license during the last off-season. He said last month that the four-year-old plane had cost $187,000 and had “cool safety features.”

“The whole plane has a parachute on it,” he said. “Ninety-nine percent of pilots that go up never have engine failure, and the 1 percent that do usually land it. But if you’re up in the air and something goes wrong, you pull that parachute, and the whole plane goes down slowly.”

Shortly after his trade to New York from Philadelphia, he flew his plane from a small airport in southern New Jersey to Teterboro. Describing his itinerary in a September interview, he said: “I didn’t fly around New York, but I flew straight up north. I don’t like to go in the big boys’ airspace.”

But yesterday, he did. The plane left Teterboro, in Bergen County, at 2:29 p.m., officials said.

Police and fire officials applauded what they said was a fast and efficient response, noting that there were no fatalities beyond the two men in the plane. They said that they too had worried at first that the crash was a terrorist attack.

“We are concerned about the possibility of things being something more than an accident,” Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said. “But it seemed clear fairly early it was a small plane.”

Gov. George E. Pataki issued a statement saying that the Federal Aviation Administration had issued a temporary flight restriction requiring all planes flying below 1,500 feet to be in communication with air traffic controllers. He said he was asking F.A.A. officials to leave the restrictions in effect while they and officials of the Department of Homeland Security review the rules that apply to private airplanes flying in the New York City area. “New York’s airspace should enjoy the same kind of protections as our nation’s capital,” Mr. Pataki said."

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/12/nyre ... crash.html

When he had Nick Libett on last week, Ron said that he & the Lidles were - present tense - "family." Any thoughts on how much contact Ron has had in the past 16+ years with Cory's widow? His now 22-23-year old son? Would he even know their names?! Or how about Cory's twin - & Ron's former coach - Kevin? As for Kevin, I've never heard him as a guest. I've never even heard his name bandied about as a possible future guest. Yep, Ron & the Lidles are "family."

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:55 pm

Momo, thanks. Surprised that the crack staff of the New York Times failed to mention that noted Detroit sports talk radio host Ron Cameron was originally supposed to be on the plane.

I glanced through the New York Daily News' coverage of the crash on Newspapers.com and found some interesting things.
  • Some semi-serious comments about whether Lidle would still be alive if the Yankees had not lost to the Tigers in the baseball playoffs. Some of these comments focused on Alex Rodriguez's lack of hitting against the Tigers. Shock jocks Opie and Anthony said, "How do we know that Alex Rodriguez wasn't the pilot in Cory Lidle's plane crash? Because everyone knows that Alex Rodriguez can't hit anything in October."
  • There was some speculation that Lidle wanted to see Yankee Stadium from the air before he headed to California for the off-season.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:29 am

uncleb67 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:27 am
It was only fitting that in these crazy quarantine times, I started yesterday watching the first two episodes of “Tiger King” on NetFlix, then finished off the morning into the afternoon with two hours of Ron Cameron’s “SportsTalk”!!! Two perfect doses of disposable “reality”. The fact Ron was waiting for his Yellow Pages is just unreal! While it creates havoc throughout the world, the coronavirus pandemic may take down Ron’s radio career once and for all.
I received a much slimmed-down version of my local Yellow Pages in the mail yesterday. I cannot remember ever getting the Yellow Pages in the mail. I'm thinking I should drop it off at the station to aid Ron in his search for new sponsors.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:59 am

From the National Weather Service:

...AIR QUALITY ALERT CONTINUES IN DETROIT AREA...CONDITIONS MIGHT BE WORSENED BETWEEN 11 A.M. AND 1 P.M. ON FRIDAY AND SUNDAY BY SUDDEN GUSTS OF HOT AIR AROUND WPON RADIO STUDIO IN SOUTHFIELD. AT SAME TIME AND PLACE, ALSO BE ON ALERT FOR WEATHER CONDITION CALLED "BLOWING SMOKE AND MIRRORS"...
Last edited by Bobbert on Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:06 am

Momo wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:29 am
uncleb67 wrote:
It was only fitting that in these crazy quarantine times, I started yesterday watching the first two episodes of “Tiger King” on NetFlix, then finished off the morning into the afternoon with two hours of Ron Cameron’s “SportsTalk”!!! Two perfect doses of disposable “reality”. The fact Ron was waiting for his Yellow Pages is just unreal! While it creates havoc throughout the world, the coronavirus pandemic may take down Ron’s radio career once and for all.
I received a much slimmed-down version of my local Yellow Pages in the mail yesterday. I cannot remember ever getting the Yellow Pages in the mail. I'm thinking I should drop it off at the station to aid Ron in his search for new sponsors.
I wonder how long Ron can hold on to a telephone directory. There's some law of physics that states that any object with a phone number written on it is repelled away from Ron, kind of like the law of repulsion with static electricity.

Majik

Post by Majik » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:42 am

Bobbert wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:06 am
Momo wrote:
uncleb67 wrote:
I wonder how long Ron can hold on to a telephone directory. There's some law of physics that states that any object with a phone number written on it is repelled away from Ron, kind of like the law of repulsion with static electricity.

Did not expect to have Ron be the impetus of a science lesson. Thanks Prof. Bobbert

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:47 am

What Ron dreams about every night, when his subconscious reveals the job that Ron has always wanted.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:50 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:47 am
What Ron dreams about every night, when his subconscious reveals the job that Ron has always wanted.

Match Game host Ron, veering off on tangents, would interrupt the celebrities before they could even give their answers.

edj

Post by edj » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:44 pm

Replace Betty White with Bea Arthur and it's perfection!

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:08 pm

edj wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:44 pm
Replace Betty White with Bea Arthur and it's perfection!
I was tempted to do that, but it would have made it an all-male show, and Rob Parker might have gotten jealous.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:22 am

Majik wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:42 am
Bobbert wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:06 am
Momo wrote:
uncleb67 wrote:

Did not expect to have Ron be the impetus of a science lesson. Thanks Prof. Bobbert
Props to Momo for going back into the early days of “The Cova” and finding my post about Ron getting his new Yellow Pages! I, too, received the slimmed-down version of the Yellow Pages yesterday. It makes me think back to Scoop’s interview last week with Nick Libett. Scoop was schilling for phone numbers from Nick, and Nick was asking, incredulously, “How do you lose phone numbers, Ron???!!!” I’m sure Nick is like most/all of us here whereas we have a reasonably-smart phone filled with names and numbers, some familiar, some not so much! Scoop and his flip-phone doesn’t share that same wealth of info, though!

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:53 am

Show promo for Ron at 10:52.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic