Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Bobbert » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:14 am

Today is the 100th anniversary of Marcel Marceau's birth. I wonder if Cowboy will mention it this weekend with a moment of silence.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:51 am

Bobbert wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:14 am
Today is the 100th anniversary of Marcel Marceau's birth. I wonder if Cowboy will mention it this weekend with a moment of silence.
That's very funny.

Majik

Post by Majik » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:15 am

Bobbert wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:14 am
We can only hope.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:57 am

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:21 am
Midweek Memories

Saturday, April 22, 2017 (Hour 2)

Interview with '84 Tiger Johnny Grubb

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... yGrubb.mp3
I'm entitling this episode, "The Basin League."

Due to a couple of callers who were friends of Johnny Grubb, a fairly entertaining hour, by the very low standards of Sportstalk with Ron Cameron, starring Ron Cameron. But Ron's sweeping narcissism has never been more on display.  

Ron starts off by asking Alex to put up the stats for his guest. The beginning & end of his show prep.

After introducing his guest, & briefly touching on his stats, Ron leads by asking Johnny Grubb if he was ever on his radio show, or was it just his tv show. When they settle on the latter, Ron mentions that had to be when Bob Page was his co-host. It then dawns on him that he was doing the show solo, then, on channel 20 ("in the garage"), one of only three live station personalities, including The Ghoul & a newsreader. Some talk about the Ghoul still working.

Ron asks his guest for his "fondest memories" of the 1984 season before taking a call from "first-time caller" Randy from West Palm Beach, who, it's learned, is Grubb's longtime friend from their playing days at Manatee Junior College. Ron brings up the name of of former Washington Senator Steve Korcheck, a president of Manatee Junior College (after Grubb's time) who Ron had on when he owned a radio station in Bradenton. "A great man, great man." Randy merited a "good job" from Ron for knowing that Korcheck had recently died.

When Ron learns that, after his playing days, Randy coached at Florida Southern, he asked him if he knew his friend (& former Tiger) Ken Szotkiewicz. A "good man." Randy knew him but not from Florida Southern. Ron proceeds to say that, when he & Szotkiewicz both lived at the Townhouse Apartments, Szotkiewicz called Ron, needing his help packing his suitcase on his first road trip. Ron ended up asking Joe Niekro to help out. A "true story," Ron added. (In a footnote to this story, Szotkiewicz went to Georgia Southern, not Florida Southern.) 

After Randy drops off, Ron says he had "a thing" with one of Grubb's roommates, the "good man," Mike Caldwell. (Mind you, Grubb hadn't brought him up.) Ron was umpiring some (non-regular season) game between the Tigers & Reds. Coaching in the bullpen, Caldwell asked Ron, "Hey, where do I know you from?" Ron had no idea at first, asking him who he was. Finding out his name, Ron said, "OMG, Mike, Ron Cameron from the Basin League, umpire-in-chief." "OMG," Caldwell responds, "I remember (you), it's great ..." & came over & shook his hand. Ron adds that Caldwell later became a minor league pitching coach for the Tigers, but he never got a chance to see him. This leads to a response from Grubb about Caldwell's career.

Next came PBP of a Tigers game. Grubb interjects that Ron must not be getting many callers because they're at the game. No, the Tigers are on the road, a humorless Ron responds. More PBP before taking a call from Cowboy (after a break). But not before some more PBP. Ron interrupts Grubb's answer to a Cowboy question with a final score of the game.

Back to more discussion of Grubb's playing days at Manatee. And then off to Florida State where Grubb confirms that he played for Jack Stallings. Ron doesn't think he's doing well. "Somebody said he had dementia." This exchange veers off to yet another Ron-centric story - involving Stallings &, wait for it, the Basin League.

Tony from Windsor is the next caller, who calls Grubb one of his favorite '84 Tigers. Tony hangs up before Ron can ask him if he's ever called before. That's two Windsor calls in a row, Ron notes. Ron helpfully adds that Windsor is in Canada.

Ron takes another stab at his favorite line of questioning when he then asks what Grubb's best thrill was in the big leagues. "Biggest thrill," he corrects himself.

Ron wonders when Grubb's friend "Harry" - someone (who never had an at-bat in the big leagues) he planned to have as a guest in a couple of weeks - was going to call. "Harry" was a catcher in the, yes, Basin League, where he complimented Ron's umpiring. Grubb said they played together starting in Little League, but regretted they never played pro ball together. "And you never played in the Basin League?" When Grubb said he played in some other leagues, Ron was quick to say that the Basin League - in South Dakota - was the best league & reiterated that he was umpire-in-chief in 1969. Ron and "Harry" had a "little set-to" over who had the strongest arm. The two had so much fun together. Ron then asked about a ballboy from Richmond who became a friend, but Grubb didn't know him, but maybe "Harry" would know him. That was enough for Ron to bring up how much fun he & "Harry" had in the Basin League. They would "chatter" throughout the game. After Grubb said how much funny his old friend was, Ron said he had Alex look up his number. As Ron expected, "Harry" didn't remember him by name when Ron called. When Ron mentioned South Dakota, "Harry" said, "Oh, you?!" And "laughed like crazy."

Alex interrupted to add that Steve Korcheck had been drafted to play in the NFL. Again, someone with whom his guest had no interaction. Ron said how happy he was to have him as a friend when he owned that Bradenton radio station. When Grubb related the Korcheck's dual sports career to someone else, Ron interrupted him to say he had to take a break. He added there was a caller from Richmond waiting to get on, but he didn't know who it was, before it dawned on him that it might be "Harry." 

Finally, the one-named Harry (Grubb may have mentioned his last name early on, but I couldn't make it out if he did; Ron never did) is on the line to talk to his friend & fellow Richmond native. Ron immediately asks who had the stronger arm, he or Ron. More talk of Ron's arm proficiency. Harry relates his past experience, through many leagues, with the guest. "But not in the Basin League ... when I was there," Ron interjects. Johnny Grubb agrees, while noting all those, unlike him, who did play there. Ron proceeds to tell a story about Jim Burton, who held the league strikeout record that involved Ron Cash, who later had a nervous breakdown, leading Ron to visit him in the hospital. Ron thanks Harry for calling, telling him to save some stories for when he's on in a couple of weeks. After he drops off, more talk about Harry's baseball career. How although he never got a MLB AB he was on-deck at the end of the game three times. How Ron had wanted - but failed -to see him in Toledo when he played for the Richmond Braves.

After a break, Ron asks Alex to put up Grubb's stats again, leading to a related discussion.

Ending where he started, a third question about Grubb's "finest moments" with the '84 Tigers.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... jo01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ke01.shtml

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:49 am

The Basin League was such an important league that it's not mentioned on the Baseball Reference website. I also checked a Sporting News baseball guide for the 1969 season (when Ron was there), and there was no mention.

My favorite part of the Johnny Grub interview was at the end, when Johnny clearly explained why batters don't try to hit the opposite way against an infield shift—something Ron is always insisting on. Johnny explained that it takes the batter away from his strengths.

Personally, the interview brought back the fun days of the '80s Tigers. I spent a lot of time in the lower right field bleachers at Tiger Stadium. People would yell out to Grubb when he was playing right field, and he would turn around and smile that Good Ol' Boy smile of his.

Majik

Post by Majik » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:29 am

Bobbert wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:49 am
The Basin League was such an important league that it's not mentioned on the Baseball Reference website. I also checked a Sporting News baseball guide for the 1969 season (when Ron was there), and there was no mention.
I don’t recall ever hearing about the Basin League.
I am inclined to think it is more like the Figment Of Ron’s Imagination League.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:41 pm

Bobbert wrote:

My favorite part of the Johnny Grub interview was at the end, when Johnny clearly explained why batters don't try to hit the opposite way against an infield shift—something Ron is always insisting on. Johnny explained that it takes the batter away from his strengths.

Personally, the interview brought back the fun days of the '80s Tigers. I spent a lot of time in the lower right field bleachers at Tiger Stadium. People would yell out to Grubb when he was playing right field, and he would turn around and smile that Good Ol' Boy smile of his.
With his friends calling in, Grubb seemed to enjoy that part of the show. Did anyone catch - or otherwise know - Harry's last name? He was said to be coming on the show "two weeks from tomorrow" (5/7/17). Do you have that among your collection, Bobbert, or did his appearance fall through the cracks?

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:44 pm

Majik wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:29 am
Bobbert wrote:
I don’t recall ever hearing about the Basin League.
I am inclined to think it is more like the Figment Of Ron’s Imagination League.
Not only did it it exist, but, per Ron, it was the "best league." In other words, it was real & it was spectacular.

1alexalway

Post by 1alexalway » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:19 pm

http://www.attheplate.com/wcbl/basin_league.html

I've done some research on this in prior years as Ron often talked about the Winner Pheasants. Some greats came out of here. But as usual, some details may be inflated for entertainment.. you guys know the drill.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:11 pm

Momo wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:41 pm
Bobbert wrote:

With his friends calling in, Grubb seemed to enjoy that part of the show. Did anyone catch - or otherwise know - Harry's last name? He was said to be coming on the show "two weeks from tomorrow" (5/7/17). Do you have that among your collection, Bobbert, or did his appearance fall through the cracks?
Harry Saferight. It took about five guesses of his last name to find him.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... feri001har

I've got shows downloaded through 5/28/17, but I'm not sure if I have a Harry Saferight interview. I checked 5/6 and 5/7, and the only mention of Harry Saferight was that Ron couldn't get hold of him. :roll:

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:04 pm

Yes,, that's him. Thanks. In all the years I've listened to Ron, I don't recall his name ever coming up. Maybe Mr. Positive could ask Ron if he could get him as a guest. Hopefully, his number isn't in the missing briefcase.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bull ... _Saferight

Majik

Post by Majik » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:51 pm

Momo wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:04 pm
Yes,, that's him. Thanks. In all the years I've listened to Ron, I don't recall his name ever coming up. Maybe Mr. Positive could ask Ron if he could get him as a guest. Hopefully, his number isn't in the missing briefcase.

I get the feeling that Ron is gonna milk more excuses out of the missing briefcase than a Blue Ribbon winning milk cow at the Wisconsin Start Fair.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:37 am

Momo wrote:

An interview with him might be interesting, if it doesn't focus on the experiences of a failed umpire (Ron) and a failed baseball player (Harry) in a failed baseball league (Basin League).

I did a little research and learned that Harry was a September call-up with the 1979 "We are Family" Pittsburgh Pirates, who went on to win the World Series. Probably a lot of interesting stories there. I also learned that Harry was given $250 from the Pirates' prize money for winning the Series.

Majik

Post by Majik » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:57 am

Bobbert wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:37 am
Momo wrote:

An interview with him might be interesting, if it doesn't focus on the experiences of a failed umpire (Ron) and a failed baseball player (Harry) in a failed baseball league (Basin League).

I did a little research and learned that Harry was a September call-up with the 1979 "We are Family" Pittsburgh Pirates, who went on to win the World Series. Probably a lot of interesting stories there. I also learned that Harry was given $250 from the Pirates' prize money for winning the Series.
It looks like he never appeared in a MLB game. This sounds like something right up RC’s alley, someone with less credentials than Ike Blessitt, called up for a cup of coffee and the cup was dry. Imagine the ratings bonanza this would be for Ron. He could raise his advertising rates, maybe get an extra rasher of bacon with his Ram’s Horn breakfast deal.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:10 pm

With the passing of Jerry Green, that means, respectfully, one less guest for Ron. Not gonna lie, Jerry took Ron’s calls quite often.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic