Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Momo

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Momo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:53 pm

And what happened to the (related?) representation that Ron was meeting with WJR?!

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:37 am

Times like these are the ones where I wish Ron was on social media so we know what his plans are. This has to be killing Ron that he isn't on the air.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:10 pm

He’s gotta be going hungry, not being able to read for his “long-time advertisers” The Ram’s Horn in Southfield, South Lyon Hotel, or the new kid on the block “Amore’ di Roma...Love From Rome”!

313sports

Post by 313sports » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:25 pm

Nothing beats Ron reading a good ethnic restaurant. Thai places with Pad Prick are especially funny.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:01 pm

It's days like today that Ron's calm, steadying voice is most sorely missed. But it's safe to say that his first reaction to the news of Kobe's death would, as always, to make it about him and say, "I never met him."

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:22 am

I have to admit.... the show was a total trainwreck at times especially at the end on those remotes. I do miss it. Those kids that took his spot, I don't understand either they get callers but don't take them and just like hearing themselves talk about a topic ad nauseam or they don't get callers and talk about a topic ad nauseam. I tuned in for about an hour of their show and they seem to want to target the 18-28 audience so guess I'm out. I suspect Ron will show up at another obscure station in the area at some point and if he doesn't show up soon perhaps that's all folks!

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:36 am

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:22 am
I have to admit.... the show was a total trainwreck at times especially at the end on those remotes. I do miss it. Those kids that took his spot, I don't understand either they get callers but don't take them and just like hearing themselves talk about a topic ad nauseam or they don't get callers and talk about a topic ad nauseam. I tuned in for about an hour of their show and they seem to want to target the 18-28 audience so guess I'm out. I suspect Ron will show up at another obscure station in the area at some point and if he doesn't show up soon perhaps that's all folks!
I have to agree, I always thought the day would come, where Ron would be off the air and we’d miss him. There was a reason this particular topic was one of the most active here for a long stretch. I mean, that show, as horrid as it would often be, was one of a kind
and I’m pretty sure Ron is the last of his kind.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:39 pm

Yeah, I don’t think we’ll ever see a sports talk host to refer - without irony - to his audience as sports fans, as in, “sports fans, give me a call.”

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:45 am

The best part was that day he came in an hour late because he lost track of time at the library and then went to get a sandwich.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:12 am

If Anthony Fenech is no longer the Freep’s Tigers beat reporter - as Ron mentioned in one of his last shows - why does Fenech, have a Tigers Mailbag online today from Lakeland?

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:42 pm

So I was in a burger bar today and they had music playing throughout the establishment. Then on comes " We are the Champions". I now always associate that song with this show. Perhaps Mr. Positive has an update, I know he follows the buzzboard and seemed to be awfully chummy with Ron. So you got anything P ?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:10 am

hose kids that took his spot, I don't understand either they get callers but don't take them and just like hearing themselves talk about a topic ad nauseam or they don't get callers and talk about a topic ad nauseam.
They have no callers.

Another great example of this phenomenon is the afternoon drive show hosted by Darrell Wood on FM 92.7 / AM 1500. He'll give the phone number a half dozen times over a 15 minute segment and will not get a single usable phone call. I suspect he has no more than a few hundred listeners at any given time. The programming on that station in general is terrible (his show is arguably the best one even though it breaks format).

In the last two years, during the numerous brief intervals I've sampled his show, I think I've heard a grand total of two phoners.

With Warren Pierce of all people popping up on WDFN, it wouldn't surprise me if Ron Cameron soon makes an appearance on their pathetic airwaves.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:17 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:10 am
hose kids that took his spot, I don't understand either they get callers but don't take them and just like hearing themselves talk about a topic ad nauseam or they don't get callers and talk about a topic ad nauseam.
They have no callers.

Another great example of this phenomenon is the afternoon drive show hosted by Darrell Wood on FM 92.7 / AM 1500. He'll give the phone number a half dozen times over a 15 minute segment and will not get a single usable phone call. I suspect he has no more than a few hundred listeners at any given time. The programming on that station in general is terrible (his show is arguably the best one even though it breaks format).

In the last two years, during the numerous brief intervals I've sampled his show, I think I've heard a grand total of two phoners.

With Warren Pierce of all people popping up on WDFN, it wouldn't surprise me if Ron Cameron soon makes an appearance on their pathetic airwaves.
Ive heard Darrell Wood when he was subbing for John Mccullough. I could barely tolerate him. His delivery was really irritating.
Too much over-inflection and way too scripted. Mccullough may be a grouchy, angry old man but at least he comes off as a bit more off the cuff.
Darrell....wood....might have..mooore listeners....if he toned DOWN...the radIO voice....a little bit. And talked....normAL.

Yeah, he can be a bit hard to swallow with his delivery.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:44 pm

He does indeed have a very scripted speaking style; I can see why that would annoy some (maybe many) people.

I've never made an effort to listen to his show for more than a 10 minute stretch. I never thought about it until now, but you're right - his speaking mannerisms could be the main reason why.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:55 pm

Since getting callers seems to be a recurring problem, I guess I never fully appreciated Ron’s genius in creating a never-ending supply of callers from the insurance company. And he gave them a back story, too. They couldn’t be on show (9-11), but were allowed to call in before the show with their softball questions. But never during the show. No, the boss put his foot down on that. To lend further credence to this fiction, he would sometimes read questions from the insurance company that dealt with subjects he had already touched on, sincerely apologizing for the caller because he, of course, couldn’t know that the question would’ve been independently addressed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic