Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Majik

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Majik » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:44 pm

edj wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:10 pm
I’m sure R Sizzle is getting his one box ready for his big move tomorrow!
He should vet the maid before he makes any move.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:49 pm

edj wrote:
I missed most of the show. I wonder what is prompting the move from the friendly confines of Troy

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:49 am

The much-maligned-by-Ron Freep Tigers beat writer Evan Petzold (“PetzGOLD”, as Ron says) just published an article on Jake Rogers, claiming he is the “Tigers catcher of the future AGAIN”! PetzGOLD a future guest?!?!

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:56 am

edj wrote:
If I recall, Scoop said he works out 2-3 hours daily, so I would think he may have to also move a weight set, a weight bench, yoga mat, and most-likely a Peloton. Like so many, he probably took his workouts in-house (or in-Room 206 at the motel) to ward off “The Cova”.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:53 am

uncleb67 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:49 am
The much-maligned-by-Ron Freep Tigers beat writer Evan Petzold (“PetzGOLD”, as Ron says) just published an article on Jake Rogers, claiming he is the “Tigers catcher of the future AGAIN”! PetzGOLD a future guest?!?!
Wonder what spurned the change as he seemed to be more of a Eric Hase guy, maybe he knew if he wanted to be connected don’t swerve Rsizzle

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:24 am

Following last night's invitation-only party at the Copacana, the management & residents of the peripatetic one's most recent haunt bid their hero a tearful, fond farewell this morning as he embarked on yet another leg of his unending journey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvBFlQNcwtI

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:41 am

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:51 am
Midweek Memories

Sunday, April 23, 2017 (Hour 2)

Interview with NHL lifer Darren Eliot (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Eliot)

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... nEliot.mp3
More of Ron's trademark narcissism, along with a 6-minute gap AND a Ray Scott-free (?) JFK assassination reference!

Ron leads off by answering his first two questions to Darren Eliot himself before his guest can. Followed by the usual interruptions when a guest gets a word in edgewise.

Ron needed assurances that Darren extended his well wishes to the cancer-stricken Dave Strader ("Is he still doing chemos?"). Ron twice informed his guest that Strader had recently been on his show, noting that he went back to the hospital right after doing the show, but had returned to the booth even though it was thought he would not be back.

The discussion somehow veered off into an exchange about Bill Frieder. Ron wanted to know if hockey commentator Darren knew this "phenomenol" basketball commentator. Darren said he never met him. Notwithstanding, Ron talked about taking Frieder out in Arizona when Ron had his own radio show. The umpires invited Ron to their "winter thing." Some of the umpires didn't want Frieder - a "good man" - there.

Darren's phone died & he didn't return for another six minutes. Much speculation ensued during his absence.

A discussion of the parties' respective picks to win the Stanley Cup ensued. Ron's choice was Washington, although our noted anti-homer hero said he had "no connection" to the team ... other than friends like Jim Rutherford (for over 40 years). Ron said that he & Rutherford were going to be partners in a minor league team, with Rutherford buying & Ron managing (!) it. Ron eventually turned this deal down. He went to the old Cow Palace to possibly place the team in the Bay Area but the cost of parking they both judged to be prohibitive for a minor league team. After (somehow) losing Rutherford's number, Ron informs the rapt Darren that he had him on his radio show. "Ron, you know I'll do your show."

Although Pat Quinn was not affiliated with Washington & was then already deceased, Ron told a Pat Quinn story, too. About the possibility of teaming up for a team in Palm Springs. And they were friends for over 50 years.

Although the Capitals were the pick of Ron's "brain," his "heart" was with St. Louis. His "buddy" GM Doug Armstrong - "Neil's son" - had been on the show. Somehow, Glen Sather got connected to the Blues, although he played only one season with them & never was their coach. He was going to be involved with Ron & Quinn on the Palm Springs team. So Ron had "connections & friends" with St. Louis, but was still picking the Capitals. Thi show must have pre-dated Sather's policy of no interviews save for Ron Cameron.

Jeff from Ferndale emailed a question asking if Darren knew a Canadian astronaut who hailed from Milton, Ontario. Darren did not, noting he spent only a couple of summers in Milton. He said he was born in Hamilton, Ontario, but was raised elsewhere, including Windsor. The mention of Hamilton, though, was enough for Ron to - curiously - ask if Darren ever thought that Hamilton (70 minutes from Buffalo & 50 minutes from Toronto) would ever get its own NHL team. After Darren said no, Ron sequed into a story about being in Hamilton & doing Don Cherry's show. As Ron pointed out, Cherry used to write for Sports Fan Journal, so he put Ron on his show. The Hamilton diversion also led Ron to suggest that Harry Howell - the only NHL player "who lives in Hamilton" - was not doing well. Darren said he had not heard that name in many years.

Ron brought up the name of Darren's (former?) father-in-law, Howie Menard. When Ron met Darren, he told him he knew Menard. Ron said he saw him the day "the president was assassinated." As Menard played for both the Indianapolis Capitols & Cincinnati Wings during the '63-'64 season, it's not clear where he saw him that fateful day. Or if the unmentioned Ray Scott was present for the sighting. As Paul Harvey would say, now we know the rest of the story. Or at least more of it.

Ron concluded by mentioning that when he was in LA "for a deal," he ran into Gary Simmons, his friend since his playing days with the Port Huron Flags. Echoing so many others, Simmons asked Ron, "What are you doing here?!"

No greatest thrill question.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdi ... p?pid=4429

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdi ... p?pid=4773

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdi ... p?pid=3675

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:19 am

I thought I detected a small trace of unhappiness in Ron about not being one of the last people to see Dave Strader before he died, but Ron did seem genuinely happy that Dave recovered (for just a few months, as it turned out).

Whenever Ron tells these business deal stories, he tries to sound like some kind of Big Player, when he's never been more than a small-time wannabe.

I wish there was a tape of the Don Cherry/Ron Cameron interview. So many comedic possibilities, both intentional and unintentional...

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:39 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:19 am
Whenever Ron tells these business deal stories, he tries to sound like some kind of Big Player, when he's never been more than a small-time wannabe.
Ron is big. It's the deals that got small.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/f61461b5-6 ... cb7066/gif

Majik

Post by Majik » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:46 pm

Momo wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:39 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:19 am
Ron is big. It's the deals that got small.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/f61461b5-6 ... cb7066/gif
Momo, you are a treasure. Keep up the good work.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:19 pm

Thanks, Majik. We have a great community here.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:17 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:49 pm
edj wrote:
I missed most of the show. I wonder what is prompting the move from the friendly confines of Troy
I heard bits and parts but regarding the move from the comfy confines of Troy to the quite a step down of Warren, Ron made it some statement of Warren having Bally Sports. Don't mind the misinformation that Ron has been spreading, thanks to Kurt, that people will be paying an additional amount onTiger baseball with the bankrupt Bally news looming over their head.
Ron should fit right in, in the new digs.

On another topic, I wish some of these posts had a like button, oh some funny stuff here

sparty89

Post by sparty89 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:11 am

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:17 pm
radiofan1974 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:49 pm
edj wrote:
I heard bits and parts but regarding the move from the comfy confines of Troy to the quite a step down of Warren, Ron made it some statement of Warren having Bally Sports. Don't mind the misinformation that Ron has been spreading, thanks to Kurt, that people will be paying an additional amount onTiger baseball with the bankrupt Bally news looming over their head.
Ron should fit right in, in the new digs.

On another topic, I wish some of these posts had a like button, oh some funny stuff here
Hopefully the Warren motel has Jumbo-trons onsite.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:18 pm

Ron has to be having a fit as his man crush Jake Rogers is not the Opening day starter today. If there is a disturbance at a Warren motel, we can only surmise what happened.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:40 pm

How Ron must be envisioning the new rules:

https://thesavannahbananas.com/bananaball/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic