Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Momo

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Momo » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:03 pm

Bobbert wrote:
    Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:32 am
    Actually (to use Alex's favorite word), the profits at the Fenton Hotel and the Southfield Ram's Horn might increase because of the bartered free meals that they don't have to serve to Ron anymore.
    This led me to think of a couple of other verbal tics from Ron's universe:
    • “Yeah, I know” - Cowboy
    • “It is what it is” - JJ

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:36 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
    Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:59 am
    I'll miss the superb audio engineering during Ron's show on WPON.

I found the loud AC hum that nearly drowned out his voice whenever he was on mic to be very soothing!
    lol that humming sound reminded me of a “shop light” just became background noise and part of the Ron Cameron experience

For the longest time you could never stream via Bluetooth, last few months though something changed and you were able to

edj

Post by edj » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:35 am

That hum isn’t just a Ron Cameron thing. It’s on all the time when the mic is open and music isn’t playing. Sima won’t fix it.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:15 pm

Since Ron's death, I've watched several Sports View Today videos on YouTube. It's interesting to see the similarities between this thread and Bob Page's reactions to Ron—the jokes, the barbs, the factual corrections, the sarcasm. My favorite line is when Page says that the main reason he goes to a restaurant is because Ron Cameron isn't there.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice this, but it's really hit home the last few weeks. The next time we come under attack, we can always say that we continued the tradition of Ron's best known on-air partner.

The Sports View Today videos that I've watched have included several that relate to the 1987 Detroit Tigers season. That's my version of Ron's 1961 Tigers—my favorite Tigers team that didn't win the World Series. What a great summer, watching them fight it out with the Toronto Blue Jays up to the very last game.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:44 pm

Bobbert wrote:
    Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:15 pm

The Sports View Today videos that I've watched have included several that relate to the 1987 Detroit Tigers season. That's my version of Ron's 1961 Tigers—my favorite Tigers team that didn't win the World Series. What a great summer, watching them fight it out with the Toronto Blue Jays up to the very last game.
    Actually, h/t Alex, short of the ‘68 season, for which I was around, the ‘87 squad was my favorite Tigers team. A team struggling mid-season that then got hot, before overtaking Toronto’s daunting lead that last week. All culminating in that nail-biting shutout (1-0) by Frank Tanana the last game of the regular season to beat the Blue Jays & win the AL East. Yeah, not even the great letdown of losing to the underdog Twins in the championship series dampened my enthusiasm for that team.

The ‘84 Tigers just didn’t excite me as much. It was too easy after the 35-5 start, &, after they came back to earth, I spent the rest of the season dreading they may blow that incredible beginning. Also detracting from that team’s accomplishment was its lack of great post-season competition in the Royals & Padres. Nothing like the ‘68 Tigers going up against the defending World Series champion & the amazing Bob Gibson coming off his 1.12 ERA season (& three wins in the ‘67 Series).

NESNerd427

Post by NESNerd427 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:55 pm

edj wrote:
    Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:35 am
    That hum isn’t just a Ron Cameron thing. It’s on all the time when the mic is open and music isn’t playing. Sima won’t fix it.
    Hey everyone, Aaron from the Revolving Door Show here. The "WPON Hum From Hell" as I've dubbed it has, like edj said, has been a problem for years. I had narrowed it down to something wrong in the studio side, not the transmitter side, as when the power went out at the studio, I didn't hear the hum. Turns out, our wonderful engineer forgot to ground all of the inputs and outputs.

I did a lot of work finally grounding them and it still hasn't fixed the problem, so I've got a Rolls Buzz Off box coming in the mail on Wednesday that should hopefully eliminate the horrid hum once and for all.

I know I won't get much (or any) thanks from the higher ups for this, but I'll be happy just to know that it's fixed for us, all the other shows, and for future shows on WPON.

NESNerd427

Post by NESNerd427 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:04 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
    Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:36 pm
    MWmetalhead wrote:
    Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:59 am
    I'll miss the superb audio engineering during Ron's show on WPON.

I found the loud AC hum that nearly drowned out his voice whenever he was on mic to be very soothing!
    lol that humming sound reminded me of a “shop light” just became background noise and part of the Ron Cameron experience

For the longest time you could never stream via Bluetooth, last few months though something changed and you were able to
    Aaron here again. The streaming thing was a problem too because again, our engineer doesn't know what he's doing. He wired the left channel backwards, so the phasing was off any anytime you played it on a mono device, like some Alexa devices, it would be completely garbled. Plus, music played over the air would sound like instrumentals. Had to fix that blunder and now it sounds fine. All that's left is the hum.

edj

Post by edj » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:19 am

Thanks Aaron for your hard work and dedication. Now if only you can convince Sima to swap the formats on 1460 and 1160. I’m sure the contract with Brother Stair’s group would prevent that.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:01 am

Momo wrote:
    Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:03 pm
      Bobbert wrote:
      Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:32 am
      Actually (to use Alex's favorite word), the profits at the Fenton Hotel and the Southfield Ram's Horn might increase because of the bartered free meals that they don't have to serve to Ron anymore.
      This led me to think of a couple of other verbal tics from Ron's universe:
      • “Yeah, I know” - Cowboy
      • “It is what it is” - JJ
      With JJ, there was also his half-hearted "Go Blue" signoff.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:13 am

Momo wrote:
      Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:44 pm
      Bobbert wrote:
      Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:15 pm

Actually, h/t Alex, short of the ‘68 season, for which I was around, the ‘87 squad was my favorite Tigers team. A team struggling mid-season that then got hot, before overtaking Toronto’s daunting lead that last week. All culminating in that nail-biting shutout (1-0) by Frank Tanana the last game of the regular season to beat the Blue Jays & win the AL East. Yeah, not even the great letdown of losing to the underdog Twins in the championship series dampened my enthusiasm for that team.

The ‘84 Tigers just didn’t excite me as much. It was too easy after the 35-5 start, &, after they came back to earth, I spent the rest of the season dreading they may blow that incredible beginning. Also detracting from that team’s accomplishment was its lack of great post-season competition in the Royals & Padres. Nothing like the ‘68 Tigers going up against the defending World Series champion & the amazing Bob Gibson coming off his 1.12 ERA season (& three wins in the ‘67 Series).
      Interesting perspective on the '84 team. I wasn't here for '68, so "84 was my big championship year. My family's arrival in Michigan coincided with the arrival of Trammell, Whitaker, Parrish, Morris, etc., so '84 was the culmination of watching the development of those players, That '68 team hung heavy over the '84 team—I remember Lance Parrish that summer sarcastically saying that the '68 team was his favorite subject.

I attended all three of those Toronto games at the end of the '87 season. It was the purest, most intense baseball experience of my life. That Saturday game, with those late afternoon shadows, Jack Morris and Mike Flanagan battling it out, lives in my memory like a Currier and Ives print. The following series against the Twins was the most disappointing sports loss of my life.
      Last edited by Bobbert on Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:21 am

Bobbert wrote:
      Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:13 am
      I attended all three of those Toronto games at the end of the '87 season. It was the purest, most intense baseball experience of my life. That Saturday game, with those late afternoon shadows, Jack Morris and Mike Flanagan battling it out, lives in my memory like a Currier and Ives print.
      What great memories you have. I attended an afternoon wedding at the home of friends that final Sunday. My eyes were mostly glued to the TV set in one of the rooms.

To emphasize how exciting that team was, as late as Memorial Day - 'when does that fall in the calendar year?' - the '87 Tigers were, at 20-21, under .500. Meaning that they had almost a 65% winning percentage (78-43) the rest of the year to reach 98-64. A slightly better winning percentage than the '84 team (104-58), even with the 35-5 start. And also slightly better than the '68 Tigers (103-59).

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:03 pm

Momo wrote:
      A team struggling mid-season that then got hot, before overtaking Toronto’s daunting lead that last week. All culminating in that nail-biting shutout (1-0) by Frank Tanana the last game of the regular season to beat the Blue Jays & win the AL East. Yeah, not even the great letdown of losing to the underdog Twins in the championship series dampened my enthusiasm for that team.
      "Actually," my memory is playing tricks with me. The team rebounded well before "mid-season," and the "daunting" lead the Blue Jays enjoyed the start of that last week was only 1.5 games, the same lead they took with into the final series.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:29 pm

Momo wrote:
      Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:03 pm
      Momo wrote:
      A team struggling mid-season that then got hot, before overtaking Toronto’s daunting lead that last week. All culminating in that nail-biting shutout (1-0) by Frank Tanana the last game of the regular season to beat the Blue Jays & win the AL East. Yeah, not even the great letdown of losing to the underdog Twins in the championship series dampened my enthusiasm for that team.
      "Actually," my memory is playing tricks with me. The team rebounded well before "mid-season," and the "daunting" lead the Blue Jays enjoyed the start of that last week was only 1.5 games, the same lead they took with into the final series.
      Things did look pretty daunting with a week to go. Toronto won the first three games of a four game series in Toronto, and almost won the fourth before Gibson hit a ninth inning home run and the Tigers won in extra innings.

That Tigers team got off to a slow start, but was able to fly under the radar, because of an unexpected good playoff run by the Red Wings (https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/DET/1987.html).

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:37 pm

Momo wrote:
      Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:01 pm
      Majik wrote:
      Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:35 pm
      It seem like Ron Cameron and factual errors go hand in hand.
      So sad to hear the news Flaco the Owl died crashing into Trump Towers.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/24/us/new-y ... index.html
      An update on Flaco the Owl, who died crashing into Trump Towers:
      Bronx Zoo veterinary pathologists determined that in addition to the traumatic injuries, Flaco had two significant underlying conditions. He had a severe pigeon herpesvirus from eating feral pigeons that had become part of his diet, and exposure to four different anticoagulant rodenticides that are commonly used for rat control in New York City," according to the statement issued by the Wildlife Conservation Society. "These factors would have been debilitating and ultimately fatal, even without a traumatic injury, and may have predisposed him to flying into or falling from the building.
      https://abcnews.go.com/US/zoo-releases- ... =108479170

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:40 pm

NESNerd427 wrote:
      Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:55 pm
      ... I did a lot of work finally grounding them and it still hasn't fixed the problem, so I've got a Rolls Buzz Off box coming in the mail on Wednesday that should hopefully eliminate the horrid hum once and for all ....
      If the box don't work for you, lift grounds one at a time on just one end of the circuits you suspect. Although theoretically all grounds should be at the same potential, that's not always true. There's sometimes a voltage drop between the ground at one end and the ground at the other end that can cause your buzz or other quirky things. With one ground end disconnected, the cable is still shielded. So noise isn't getting induced that way.
      Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic