Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
billmich88888

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by billmich88888 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:06 am

ShempLives wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:41 pm
The drugstore (Kent Drugs) closed at the end of 1981. Theoretically Ron's pronouncement could have been in 1981, but don't think Ron was stopping by after his WXYZ-AM show was cancelled. Also Ron's memory was faulty, but I didn't bother to correct him when we spoke on the air: My store was at the corner of Fisher and Kercheval in Grosse Pointe Farms (1 Kercheval), whereas Ron was making reference to the Schettler's drugstore which was roughly two blocks away on Fisher, near the intersection of Fisher and Maumee in Grosse Pointe City.
sent you a PM

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:10 am

Majik wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:58 pm
Anyone here recall ever hearing Ron laugh. I can’t remember if that ever occurred on air. It must have at some point. Nothing jumps into my mind on that. I’m sure he thought he was funny but nobody else was. Can anyone enlighten me.
Good question. He certainly regaled us with tales of yore that were “sooo funny.” And there was his regular show segment, “What are you doing here?!” that seemed to always end in convulsive laughter (& hugging it out with his bros), but actual genuine laughter? I'm hard-pressed to recall any specific instance.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:12 am

edj wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:42 am
WPON has been airing promos about the tribute show tomorrow. It will be open line.
Will it be with no or limited commercial interruption? Sponsored by the Ford Motor Company?

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:29 am

Momo wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:10 am
Majik wrote:
Anyone here recall ever hearing Ron laugh. I can’t remember if that ever occurred on air. It must have at some point. Nothing jumps into my mind on that. I’m sure he thought he was funny but nobody else was. Can anyone enlighten me.
Good question. He certainly regaled us with tales of yore that were “sooo funny.” And there was his regular show segment, “What are you doing here?!” that seemed to always end in convulsive laughter (& hugging it out with his bros), but actual genuine laughter? I'm hard-pressed to recall any specific instance.
When I saw him in person on 2/9 at the Southfield Ram's Horn, he laughed:
  • When he said that he would never retire.
  • When talking about the "dump" of a bar that he owned on Grand River in Detroit in 1984.
  • When he mentioned that Keith from Oak Park was at the Ram's Horn earlier that day, and I said, "Oh he's the guy that's always asking about Sergei Federov."

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:49 am

Bobbert wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:29 am
Momo wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:10 am
Majik wrote:
When I saw him in person on 2/9 at the Southfield Ram's Horn, he laughed:
  • When he said that he would never retire.
  • When talking about the "dump" of a bar that he owned on Grand River in Detroit in 1984.
  • When he mentioned that Keith from Oak Park was at the Ram's Horn earlier that day, and I said, "Oh he's the guy that's always asking about Sergei Federov."
Bobbert, you might be the last fan to have spoken to Ron.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:14 am

ShempLives wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:36 pm
Regarding my "archives:" I recorded many of Ron's shows directly off WPON's and WDTK's streams. I have also recorded many (if not all) of the podcasts from WDTK, plus other sites that have old Ron recordings. I have downloaded (if that's the right term) them in my Apple Music library. Can someone show me how to transfer them to this site. I'm happy to share them here. (I even have Mr. Cameron's infamous and last broadcast on WDTK with Jake Wood, dated April 30, 2023.)
When the history of Ron’s life is written, the last chapter will most certainly be his final broadcast on WDTK. It was all downhill after that. And - thanks to your foresight, Frank - that taped interview with Jake Wood will be as scrutinized as the Zapruder film.

Majik

Post by Majik » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:42 am

Momo wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:14 am
ShempLives wrote:
Regarding my "archives:" I recorded many of Ron's shows directly off WPON's and WDTK's streams. I have also recorded many (if not all) of the podcasts from WDTK, plus other sites that have old Ron recordings. I have downloaded (if that's the right term) them in my Apple Music library. Can someone show me how to transfer them to this site. I'm happy to share them here. (I even have Mr. Cameron's infamous and last broadcast on WDTK with Jake Wood, dated April 30, 2023.)
When the history of Ron’s life is written, the last chapter will most certainly be his final broadcast on WDTK. It was all downhill after that. And - thanks to your foresight, Frank - that taped interview with Jake Wood will be as scrutinized as the Zapruder film.
I would not be surprised if Oliver Stone and Kevin Costner are discussing a film project now: RRC. This could revive both of their careers.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:53 am

To Mr. Positive:

The Redford Theatre will be having a matinee screening of one of Elvis Presley's most famous movies on Saturday, June 8—Viva Las Vegas. You should contact the theater at goodtimes@redfordtheatre.com to see if you can make a stage appearance as the host; the 50/50 raffle ticket puller at intermission; or the area's biggest Elvis fan.

https://redfordtheatre.com/events/viva-las-vegas-1964/

(I wasn't going to mention this so early in advance, but this thread might drop off the radar after Friday's tribute show.)

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:59 am

Momo wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:14 am
ShempLives wrote:
With Ron a participant in both events.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:52 pm

Two more Facebook tributes:

Tom Rady
I thought he was a real character and a pretty funny guy! He did not have an easy life but always worked hard at whatever he did. He once offered me a job selling ads for "Sports Fans Journal". I passed because I was training to be a teacher at the time. His strong opinions, grass roots approach and fun approach to doing sports talk radio were refreshingly unslick compared to the politically correct ways of sports talk radio today. A highlight was the hilarious way he would do the live reads either for his advertisers or his magazine. Things like "Denny Mclain writing columms for the magazine from jail" or his live reads for drugstores and medicine. "Fred's Drugstore for your rear end and bowel needs" were simply classic! I would laugh for days over that one!
Ron was an original who was authentic and not phony! I will never forget him. Rest in peace Ron!

David Tracey
RADIO LEGEND DETROITOR RON CAMERON PASSES AWAY.
So sorry to hear this. I worked for Ron in 1986 at his Sports Magazine “ Sports Fans Journal” for a short time I found Ron to be a genial generous man if you respected him. I did. Ron was forced to leave an abusive family upbringing in The Baker Projects on the East side of Detroit- he was 16
Ron was an expert on Hockey and Baseball and incredibly insiteful
Ron grew up in one of the poorest areas of American in a Detroit Housing project- dropped out of school in 9th grade and eventually became a millionaire.
Ron owned several small radio stations in his life- including one in Brandeton Florida
I will miss him and he was a GREAT INTERVIEWER

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:08 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:52 pm
Two more Facebook tributes:

Tom Rady
I thought he was a real character and a pretty funny guy! He did not have an easy life but always worked hard at whatever he did. He once offered me a job selling ads for "Sports Fans Journal". I passed because I was training to be a teacher at the time. His strong opinions, grass roots approach and fun approach to doing sports talk radio were refreshingly unslick compared to the politically correct ways of sports talk radio today. A highlight was the hilarious way he would do the live reads either for his advertisers or his magazine. Things like "Denny Mclain writing columms for the magazine from jail" or his live reads for drugstores and medicine. "Fred's Drugstore for your rear end and bowel needs" were simply classic! I would laugh for days over that one!
Ron was an original who was authentic and not phony! I will never forget him. Rest in peace Ron!

David Tracey
So sorry to hear this. I worked for Ron in 1986 at his Sports Magazine “ Sports Fans Journal” for a short time I found Ron to be a genial generous man if you respected him. I did. Ron was forced to leave an abusive family upbringing in The Baker Projects on the East side of Detroit- he was 16
Ron grew up in one of the poorest areas of American in a Detroit Housing project- dropped out of school in 9th grade and eventually became a millionaire.
Ron owned several small radio stations in his life- including one in Brandeton Florida
I did wonder what Ron’s business would bring in, and Ron’s income over the years, a millionaire? Congrats if that was the case

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:14 pm

Momo wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:51 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:26 am
Wish list for Friday:
  • Guest appearances by at least Bob Page and Alex Alway.
  • Calls from as many regulars as possible.
  • It wouldn't be a Ron Cameron show without ads, so recordings of Ron reading ads for his most enduring sponsors—Fenton Hotel and Southfield Ram's Horn.
  • Some kind of montage of Ron, including favorite jokes, cliches, and angry outbursts.
  • Some acknowledgment of the Buzzboard. Sure we made fun of him, but we also promoted his show and made him more famous. Some of us called and some of us patronized his sponsors. And we created a Wikipedia page that was used to write the Free Press article that announced Ron's death to much of the world.
  • News that Ron has found a final resting place.
I hope that Denny, & Ray, who was mentioned as a possible guest for the next show that was never to be, are included. It would be rich if Mark Wilson was able get up early enough to call-in, too. It's distinctly possible that I may have missed it, but has Mark made any comment about Ron's death?

As for the regular callers, I hope Keith calls in to continue his campaign to retire Federov's jersey.
Surprised that Ray Scott or Mark Wilson have not said anything on their pages. Perhaps they are waiting to voice their remembrances on the Friday show.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:48 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:52 pm
David Tracey
A "millionaire"?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurston_ ... l,_III.jpg

So that's how he could afford to live so lavishly at the Waldorf Astoria!

A "GREAT INTERVIEWER"?! Well, if Barbara (What "sort of tree" would you be?) Walters could be considered a great interviewer, why not Ron?!

"What was your greatest thrill?"

"Did you always want to be x when you were growing up?

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:16 pm

Majik wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:30 pm
Ron is the Ed Wood of sports talk radio.
Starting to reviewing some vintage posts. This one stood out.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:27 pm

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:14 pm
Surprised that Ray Scott or Mark Wilson have not said anything on their pages. Perhaps they are waiting to voice their remembrances on the Friday show.
What's the time difference in Las Vegas? Maybe Mark hasn't gotten the news, yet.

And nothing, either, from "Dickhead" Dickerson.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic