Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Dan in Northville

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Dan in Northville » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:45 pm

Rm04111234 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:32 pm
Momo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:13 pm
Dan in Northville wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:05 pm
I know we're all familiar with Ron's nomadic lifestyle, living in motels and all for most of his adult life. But I don't remember any mention of any remaining family or relatives in his life. Does anyone know if there was anyone at all there for him at the end? Sad to think that he was really a "one man operation" in his personal life as well.
He recently mentioned a half-sister, with some acknowledgment that he bore some responsibility for their apparent long estrangement.
Sadly I do not think Ron had anyone in his personal life. I'll share that he called me when he was being released from the rehab center in Warren after his knee surgery asking if I could pick him up and drive him to his motel. It was a weekday and I was working from home in Canton so I told him I wasn't able and to just have them call him a cab which I believe he did. I spoke with him around three weeks ago and he seemed in decent spirits outside of the knee pain. I suspect he passed at the motel if he passed Tuesday and there was no official announcement until a couple of days later. Last time I saw him was when he had the pizza place on Plymouth road in Livonia for all of six weeks or so in June 2016. He was one of kind for sure.
Wait.......................you hadn't seen him in over six years, yet he called you to ask if you could give him a ride to his motel? Ron never ceases to amaze.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:53 pm

Aaron's Dad wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:20 pm
Mr.Transistor wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:38 am
Momo wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:34 am
Trophyhead wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:49 am
Missing his “last” show is a source of frustration.
Maybe the show will air at 11. If so, we can learn who was the last caller to speak to Ron.
Momo wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:57 pm
Caller #7: ??? (I got a call, so I missed this caller's name.)
Whoever the last caller to speak to Ron is shall carry that omen from this point forward. Who is the lucky one to carry that grim reaper fortune on in place of Ron??
It was the me the NEPO CALLER! I feel honored to be the ONE! Ron was a fun man to talk with. He always had great guests from the sports world.
Yikes. Not so sure this is a good torch to carry forward. Perhaps you can turn it into something good. Best of luck with that.
Last edited by Mr.Transistor on Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rm04111234

Post by Rm04111234 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:54 pm

Dan in Northville wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:45 pm
Rm04111234 wrote:
Momo wrote:
Dan in Northville wrote:
I know we're all familiar with Ron's nomadic lifestyle, living in motels and all for most of his adult life. But I don't remember any mention of any remaining family or relatives in his life. Does anyone know if there was anyone at all there for him at the end? Sad to think that he was really a "one man operation" in his personal life as well.
He recently mentioned a half-sister, with some acknowledgment that he bore some responsibility for their apparent long estrangement.
Sadly I do not think Ron had anyone in his personal life. I'll share that he called me when he was being released from the rehab center in Warren after his knee surgery asking if I could pick him up and drive him to his motel. It was a weekday and I was working from home in Canton so I told him I wasn't able and to just have them call him a cab which I believe he did. I spoke with him around three weeks ago and he seemed in decent spirits outside of the knee pain. I suspect he passed at the motel if he passed Tuesday and there was no official announcement until a couple of days later. Last time I saw him was when he had the pizza place on Plymouth road in Livonia for all of six weeks or so in June 2016. He was one of kind for sure.
Wait.......................you hadn't seen him in over six years, yet he called you to ask if you could give him a ride to his motel? Ron never ceases to amaze.

We spoke roughly 3-4 times a year; he'd call me to say who's coming on the next show or something like that. I'd call him on occasion when someone big in sports passed away to inform him which he appreciated. Having said that I will say I was more than taken by surprise when he called wanting a ride to his motel room. Lucky me I suppose. One of a kind he certainly was.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:57 pm

No mention anywhere on Ray Scott's FB page of Ron's passing.
Does anyone know if there will be some type of funeral?

Dan in Northville

Post by Dan in Northville » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:05 pm

Has anyone called Phil Regan?

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:11 pm

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:57 pm
From the X Page that Martin ran, he mentioned that Police was looking for family?
Last edited by radiofan1974 on Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:19 pm

Dan in Northville wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:05 pm
Has anyone called Phil Regan?
Just think of all those in the Guest Protection Program who now have a new lease on life.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:23 pm

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Ron famously did not do funerals, even for his many good/great friends. Although he mentioned going to one. I think it was for Budd Lynch. I don’t imagine there will be a service for Ron.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:34 pm

Rm04111234 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:54 pm
Dan in Northville wrote:
Rm04111234 wrote:
Momo wrote:
Dan in Northville wrote:

We spoke roughly 3-4 times a year; he'd call me to say who's coming on the next show or something like that. I'd call him on occasion when someone big in sports passed away to inform him which he appreciated. Having said that I will say I was more than taken by surprise when he called wanting a ride to his motel room. Lucky me I suppose. One of a kind he certainly was.
Under what circumstances did you exchange phone numbers? It now makes sense that Ron was unclear as to whether or not he got the call about Al Avila’s new job on-air.

When I saw him in December I made a point of not giving him any personal information lest he saw me as someone to whom he could reach out.

I hope Mr. Positive calls in & weighs in on his relationship with Ron. What was it that Ron wanted Mr. Positive to call him about? When I once visited Mr. Positive at GNC, he called Ron & put him on speaker. This was right after he was booted from WDTK for using the N-word in retelling a story. I heard the familiar voice railing against WDTK & how all they wanted to do was make money. Mr. Positive offered to give me Ron’s number, but I declined.

Dan in Northville

Post by Dan in Northville » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:37 pm

Momo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:23 pm
Mr.Transistor wrote:
Ron famously did not do funerals, even for his many good/great friends. Although he mentioned going to one. I think it was for Budd Lynch. I don’t imagine there will be a service for Ron.
To be expected, but certainly a missed opportunity to enjoy some "day old scallops" at the luncheon.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:43 pm

Dan in Northville wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:37 pm
Momo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:23 pm
Mr.Transistor wrote:
To be expected, but certainly a missed opportunity to enjoy some "day old scallops" at the luncheon.
Or Kosher food catered in by his soul food restaurant sponsor.

Rm04111234

Post by Rm04111234 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:53 pm

Momo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:34 pm
Rm04111234 wrote:
Dan in Northville wrote:
Rm04111234 wrote:
Momo wrote:
Dan in Northville wrote:

Under what circumstances did you exchange phone numbers? It now makes sense that Ron was unclear as to whether or not he got the call about Al Avila’s new job on-air.

When I saw him in December I made a point of not giving him any personal information lest he saw me as someone to whom he could reach out.

I hope Mr. Positive calls in & weighs in on his relationship with Ron. What was it that Ron wanted Mr. Positive to call him about? When I once visited Mr. Positive at GNC, he called Ron & put him on speaker. This was right after he was booted from WDTK for using the N-word in retelling a story. I heard the familiar voice railing against WDTK & how all they wanted to do was make money. Mr. Positive offered to give me Ron’s number, but I declined.
We exchanged numbers around a dozen years ago. I went into his short lived (as all of them were) restaurant in Southfield just off Northwestern Highway. He was familiar with me as I would call in on occasion and he asked what I did for a living. I told him I was with a Tier One Automotive supplier and he immediately said he could cater in food for us. He insisted on exchanging numbers even as I told him I had nothing to do with catering in lunches or anything and I doubted I could put him in touch with someone who could hook him up but he insisted so I got his number at that point. He never bothered me much, the request to pick him up at rehab was about the only time he went over the top. Other than that it was mostly plain sports type talk and the guy did have a heck of a memory. Being twenty years younger than Ron he admired my memory for things going back to the early seventies. He was basically harmless but completely disorganized and living in a bygone era with a flip phone and his yellow pages.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:08 pm

Rm04111234 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:53 pm
Momo wrote:
Rm04111234 wrote:
Dan in Northville wrote:
Rm04111234 wrote:
Momo wrote:
Dan in Northville wrote:

We exchanged numbers around a dozen years ago. I went into his short lived (as all of them were) restaurant in Southfield just off Northwestern Highway. He was familiar with me as I would call in on occasion and he asked what I did for a living. I told him I was with a Tier One Automotive supplier and he immediately said he could cater in food for us. He insisted on exchanging numbers even as I told him I had nothing to do with catering in lunches or anything and I doubted I could put him in touch with someone who could hook him up but he insisted so I got his number at that point. He never bothered me much, the request to pick him up at rehab was about the only time he went over the top. Other than that it was mostly plain sports type talk and the guy did have a heck of a memory. Being twenty years younger than Ron he admired my memory for things going back to the early seventies. He was basically harmless but completely disorganized and living in a bygone era with a flip phone and his yellow pages.
Was it this one, in West Bloomfield, right off of Northwestern? The timeframe sounds about right, too.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/ron-camerons-h ... d-township

That was the failing restaurant that prompted Ron to say that Jews only dined out when they had a coupon. Not long thereafter, I got a coupon from Home Run Eatery that made absolutely no sense. I wished I had saved it for the inevitable Ron Cameron Sports Talk Museum. I once ventured into an open Home Run Eatery only to find it completely abandoned.

Rm04111234

Post by Rm04111234 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:14 pm

Momo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:08 pm
Rm04111234 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:53 pm
Momo wrote:
Rm04111234 wrote:
Dan in Northville wrote:
Rm04111234 wrote:
Momo wrote:
Dan in Northville wrote:

Was it this one, in West Bloomfield, right off of Northwestern? The timeframe sounds about right, too.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/ron-camerons-h ... d-township

That was the failing restaurant that prompted Ron to say that Jews only dined out when they had a coupon. Not long thereafter, I got a coupon from Home Run Eatery that made absolutely no sense. I wished I had saved it for the inevitable Ron Cameron Sports Talk Museum. I once ventured into an open Home Run Eatery only to find it completely abandoned.
Yes that was the place; it was set back in a strip mall; really bad location in my opinion. But that was Ron; hustling around with no definitive or well thought out business plan.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:22 pm

I know Mr Positive reads the Ron Cameron Page, but does not post? They appeared to be in contact after show hours? Hope he is doing well

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic