Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Momo

Re: Re:

Post by Momo » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:59 am

ItsJustCharlie wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:30 am
Bobbert wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:01 pm
SuperFan wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:00 am
As sad, clownish, or slobbish Ron C has seemingly been the past half century in the media (radio, television, and print publications)…AND as half-whacked his many business adventures have been (a dozen or more eateries/bars; minor league umpiring; alleged team “ownership”), you gotta hand it to the man for absolutely aiming to live his personal dream as best he can. The contradictions, tirades, lies & embellishments, burps (and probably farts) are quickly obvious to all. Maybe that is what greatly separates RC from the pack and keeps certain fans of Super Fan hanging around for decades. He’s a hack. He’s slobbish. He probably has a personal all but a few of the buzzboarders would wish to live. But it is the life that he apparently and unapologetically chooses to live. We choose to follow him. The dial also can be turned to OFF. Does anybody really listen to Ron Cameron to garner nuggets of new information about the sporting world? RC is one of a kind. If it was possible for a factual (and honest!) biography of Ron Cameron to be written, I know that most of us would love to get our hands on a copy…and most of us would probably be amazed by some of the stories (and assuredly laugh like hell as well). In my book of radio broadcast entertainment, Ron Cameron is The Man.
You really get to the heart of the matter with Ron, and his followers. The ideal biography would probably be 1/3 objective narrative, 1/3 impressionistic psychoanalysis, and 1/3 First Person Ron. Like Ron, it would be truly original.
If I may fly my wax wings too close to the sun, I wrote a short introduction for this hypothetical book. (Before we ask, I have met him, I do a show in the studio and I happened to meet him briefly after his show. I don't mean to insult the man, just wanted to create a paragraph for this interesting thought experiment)

There’s nothing that says local radio like an old chair that reeks of urine. To some, they would immediately walk the other direction, but I have a show to do, so I have to walk towards the smell. One can wonder where it came from, but I don’t have to. It’s the talent that happens to seep out of someone when they get so worked up about the Detroit Tigers. Unfortunately, that talent makes anyone question how they got as far as they did. I walk to the room where my friend is waiting for me. We enter the recording studio and see the origin of the smell, Ron Cameron. Self-proclaimed radio legend and destroyer of Goodwill chairs. I introduce myself and shake his hand, and the whole situation just seems melancholy in a way only an English major can exaggerate. The best way I can describe his appearance is of a used tissue. A crumbled-together form who is clearly past his prime, but still trying to make it work. Commendable, but the other half of the double-edged sword that is a used napkin is that it’s still gross. He hobbles out of the studio and I can’t help but feel bad despite everything I’ve previously said. Despite the obscenities he’s said on air, or the insults hurled at his producer, I just couldn’t bring myself to purely hate the man. That would be cruel, and I do work at the same station, so it would be bad for business. I can only try to understand him.
Charlie, consider yourself fortunate that you haven't (yet) experienced an episode of Ron's "explosive diarrhea."

Momo

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Momo » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:10 am

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:26 am
edj wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:24 am
The Michigan Wolverines are national champions, defeating the cupcake Washington Huskies. Can't wait for Ron's take.
"He still owes me ten dinners!"
What I wouldn't give for a press conference reporter to somberly ask Harbaugh if he has any plans to make good on his longstanding restaurant debt to Ron. Something like when Stuttering John - not the one from Detroit who used to call Ron - asked Gennifer Flowers at a 1992 presser, "Will you be sleeping with any other presidential candidates?"

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:32 pm

ItsJustCharlie wrote:
Bobbert wrote:
SuperFan wrote:
As sad, clownish, or slobbish Ron C has seemingly been the past half century in the media (radio, television, and print publications)…AND as half-whacked his many business adventures have been (a dozen or more eateries/bars; minor league umpiring; alleged team “ownership”), you gotta hand it to the man for absolutely aiming to live his personal dream as best he can. The contradictions, tirades, lies & embellishments, burps (and probably farts) are quickly obvious to all. Maybe that is what greatly separates RC from the pack and keeps certain fans of Super Fan hanging around for decades. He’s a hack. He’s slobbish. He probably has a personal all but a few of the buzzboarders would wish to live. But it is the life that he apparently and unapologetically chooses to live. We choose to follow him. The dial also can be turned to OFF. Does anybody really listen to Ron Cameron to garner nuggets of new information about the sporting world? RC is one of a kind. If it was possible for a factual (and honest!) biography of Ron Cameron to be written, I know that most of us would love to get our hands on a copy…and most of us would probably be amazed by some of the stories (and assuredly laugh like hell as well). In my book of radio broadcast entertainment, Ron Cameron is The Man.
You really get to the heart of the matter with Ron, and his followers. The ideal biography would probably be 1/3 objective narrative, 1/3 impressionistic psychoanalysis, and 1/3 First Person Ron. Like Ron, it would be truly original.
If I may fly my wax wings too close to the sun, I wrote a short introduction for this hypothetical book. (Before we ask, I have met him, I do a show in the studio and I happened to meet him briefly after his show. I don't mean to insult the man, just wanted to create a paragraph for this interesting thought experiment)

There’s nothing that says local radio like an old chair that reeks of urine. To some, they would immediately walk the other direction, but I have a show to do, so I have to walk towards the smell. One can wonder where it came from, but I don’t have to. It’s the talent that happens to seep out of someone when they get so worked up about the Detroit Tigers. Unfortunately, that talent makes anyone question how they got as far as they did. I walk to the room where my friend is waiting for me. We enter the recording studio and see the origin of the smell, Ron Cameron. Self-proclaimed radio legend and destroyer of Goodwill chairs. I introduce myself and shake his hand, and the whole situation just seems melancholy in a way only an English major can exaggerate. The best way I can describe his appearance is of a used tissue. A crumbled-together form who is clearly past his prime, but still trying to make it work. Commendable, but the other half of the double-edged sword that is a used napkin is that it’s still gross. He hobbles out of the studio and I can’t help but feel bad despite everything I’ve previously said. Despite the obscenities he’s said on air, or the insults hurled at his producer, I just couldn’t bring myself to purely hate the man. That would be cruel, and I do work at the same station, so it would be bad for business. I can only try to understand him.
Very insightful. Ron's behavior has probably provoked a wider variety of reactions than the behavior of anyone else in Detroit media history. Another reason why this thread has grown so large.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:31 am

Hey everyone, went to the pistons game last night and A-there was no Ron Cameron sighting and B) Ron’s favorite player Killian Hayes played horrible as usual

But most importantly-on the way home heard Mr P call in to the pistons post game show on 97.1 and sounded great!

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:11 pm

Glad to hear Mr. Positive has been heard from. I was worried about him after being a no-show the last two weeks. I just hope he hasn’t been banned from Ron’s show.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:58 pm

Momo wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:11 pm
Glad to hear Mr. Positive has been heard from. I was worried about him after being a no-show the last two weeks. I just hope he hasn’t been banned from Ron’s show.
I wouldn't put it past him to ban the most exciting man in Detroit radio.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:09 pm

ItsJustCharlie wrote:
Bobbert wrote:
SuperFan wrote:

Interesting insight, Intresting to hear how other folks who have a show there see him

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:35 am

I accidentally listened to a few minutes of Valenti and Rico on Tuesday. They were trying to rain on UM's victory parade by focusing on Harbaugh's suspensions.

https://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... c7f3eed26b

I'm guessing that Ron will make similar points when he talks about UM's championship tomorrow, along with reminders about Harbaugh's 10-dinner debt.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:02 am

I am sure Ron’s first of his usual talking points when Michigan wins will be first-I blame Washington’s coach for the loss

Just like the Ohio state game and of course my favorite-Penn state will destroy Michigan

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:05 am

I will take a guess on his breakdown of the Lions/Rams game

Could be a interesting game
I can see lions winning or losing

Anyone know what Mat stafford status is with lunches with Ron in the past? That can play a major role in his pick

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:19 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:35 am
I'm guessing that Ron will make similar points when he talks about UM's championship tomorrow, along with reminders about Harbaugh's 10-dinner debt.
Last week, right on the heels of a Rose Bowl victory, a gobsmacked Terry asked, belatedly, if they were going to talk about the Michigan game. So I wouldn't be surprised if - unless someone else raises the National Championship game - Ron might just plow ahead, ignoring Michigan's win.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:22 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:05 am
Anyone know what Mat stafford status is with lunches with Ron in the past? That can play a major role in his pick
As Ron has yet to set foot in Ford Field, I think it's pretty safe to say that the paths of Ron & Matthew Stafford have never crossed.

Majik

Post by Majik » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:45 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:05 am
I will take a guess on his breakdown of the Lions/Rams game

Could be a interesting game
I can see lions winning or losing

Ron was a washed up nobody by the time Stafford came here that I highly doubt the two have ever met let alone have broken bread together. But I’m sure Ron’s imagination can conjure up something to help justify whatever stance he decides for or against anyone. It is all about how everything relates to Ron Cameron.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:16 am

I sense a Ron and Mathew stafford story, where Ron has bumped into Mathew and Kelly with such fanfare with his “what are you doing here” opening greeting
Last edited by radiofan1974 on Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:19 am

Momo wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:19 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:35 am
Last week, right on the heels of a Rose Bowl victory, a gobsmacked Terry asked, belatedly, if they were going to talk about the Michigan game. So I wouldn't be surprised if - unless someone else raises the National Championship game - Ron might just plow ahead, ignoring Michigan's win.
I agree, I can see him leading off with “Comboro” colgelo, or the pistons and poor Killian Hayes

If it is brought up, he will talk about the Washington coaches fault. I highly doubt we would even get a Paul Finbaum-I was wrong line.

Ron never recovered from the Penn state game prediction where his ninty lions did not “destroy” Michigan as he predicted for many weeks prior and would be the downtown of Michigans season according to Ron

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic