Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Momo

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Momo » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:35 pm

Dan in Northville wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:15 pm
Perhaps the Hall of Fame dinner could include a serving of "day old scallops"?
Yeah, if it's a Ron-related dinner, I might just take the plaque & beat a path to the door.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:40 pm

1alexalway wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:03 pm
radiofan1974 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:41 pm
Kidcat wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:12 pm
Momo wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:33 am
Voting for the 2023 class of the MSHOF is now open. Inexplicably, Ron’s name is yet again nowhere to be found on the ballot. With his sky-high online popularity, maybe the Hall directors should consider including a people’s choice candidate.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 119371007/
Speaking of Hall of Fames .I am proud to announce the grand opening of the Kidcat Ron Cameron Buzzboard Hall of Fame.The first members to be enshrined,are Momo, Bobbert, Mr Positive and Alex. Willie108, Sparty89, radiofan 1974 and edj just came up short.On the Pete Rose banned for life from this hall are Cowboy, Luke, and of course Martin.They add nothing to the show or buzzboard.Congrats to the new members.
Wow, thanks for the induction. For a guy who started listening during Covid shut downs it’s really a dream come true! Perhaps we can see if coach Harbaugh has the “guts” to be our emcee and share some stories about scoop himself

Though with any induction, I must thank all our regular contributors as it’s a team effort for the dedication that we have and the sacrifice to be away from our families and the commitment it takes!

Perhaps the Fenton hotel would be honored to host this event! Pre show activities hosted by “ladies who trim” company with food provided by Rams Horn!

Quite an unexpected honor! Thanks for the nomination. Also, thanks to all the posters who listen each week and take time to share their thoughts. I always read the posts, and nothing gets by you guys. As the Buzzboard insider, I'll make sure I keep you guys informed
Always great information Alex, are you planning to be on anytime soon? Perhaps NFL draft weekend?

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:03 am

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:18 am
Midweek Memories

Sunday, May 14, 2017 (Hour 2)

Interview with former Detroit Tiger Ramon Santiago

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... ntiago.mp3
Every time I hear someone say, in any context, "The very idea ...," I'm immediately transported back to the opening of these old podcasts with the late John McCulloch uttering these words at the start of his spot. Which leads me to wonder once again if the widow McCulloch - that "great lady" - ever got that oft-promised condolence call from Ron, the mourner-in-chief.

I have to correct myself. I had thought Ron's "Who was your greatest influence" question was a newly-added piece from his Interview by Numbers kit, but here he is, back in '17, asking Ramon Santiago who was the most influential person in getting him to the big leagues. When Ramon mentioned Bruce Fields as one such influencer, Ron was quick to say that Fields was a "friend for over 30 years," & a guest many times.

In just the first couple of minutes, Ron springs the 'growing up did you always want to be a major league player' question. We also get the "What's the future hold" question. Twice.

When told by his guest that a friend invited him to a Marlins game a couple weeks earler, Ron sought an answer his audience demanded. "Did he buy you dinner, too?" The man of the people followed-up with, "You don't pay when you go to the games, do you?" Prompting Ramon to teach Ron - & me - something that came as a surprise. He spoke of a "gold card" - received by players with ten years MLB experience under their belt - enabling them - & a guest - to go to any stadium free of charge. Surprised, Ron could only interject, "Oh, you get to take someone with you?"

So used to talking to senior guests, Ron teased Ramon by saying he must have become a multi-millionaire from his playing days. He then asked him, "What's the most money you made in the big leagues?" When Ramon surpised him by saying it was $2.5 million, Ron could only add his standard response about him being "set for life," then. Ron was also impressed that Ramon's younger brother was working for Chrysler. He "got a good job," Ron said, adding, "That's fantastic."

Ron talked about the problem with baseball is too much weights. The players are trying to be He-Man. The prolem is certainly not umpires, who do a "great job."

Cowboy called &, as is his wont when speaking to a guest, said he was "always a big fan." At one point, Ron said, "We're taking more calls for Fernando Rodney."

Ron asked Ramon what happened to Joel Zumaya, answering the question himself before his guest could weigh in.

Lots of Tigers PBP throughout. When Alex informed Ron that Verlander, who had left the game in favor of Shane Greene, had given up two more runs, Ron asked, "Did he give up both runs?" To which Alex responded, "They were both charged to Verlander." Not happy with the answer, Ron said, "I didn't say 'charged.' Did he give up both himself?" When the beleaguered Alex said the runs had scored while Verlander was still pitching, the relentless cross-examiner put a bow on the matter by saying, "So they scored before Greene came in." This exchange reminded me of the time when, exasperated by Ron's many misstatements, I spoke to one of his screeners." Generating no sympathy, the affectless screener said, "Try working for him." 

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:22 am

Momo wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:03 am
Bobbert wrote:
Midweek Memories

Every time I hear someone say, in any context, "The very idea ...," I'm immediately transported back to the opening of these old podcasts with the late John McCulloch uttering these words at the start of his spot. Which leads me to wonder once again if the widow McCulloch - that "great lady" - ever got that oft-promised condolence call from Ron, the mourner-in-chief.

I have to correct myself. I had thought Ron's "Who was your greatest influence" question was a newly-added piece from his Interview by Numbers kit, but here he is, back in '17, asking Ramon Santiago who was the most influential person in getting him to the big leagues. When Ramon mentioned Bruce Fields as one such influencer, Ron was quick to say that Fields was a "friend for over 30 years," & a guest many times.

In just the first couple of minutes, Ron springs the 'growing up did you always want to be a major league player' question. We also get the "What's the future hold" question. Twice.

When told by his guest that a friend invited him to a Marlins game a couple weeks earler, Ron sought an answer his audience demanded. "Did he buy you dinner, too?" The man of the people followed-up with, "You don't pay when you go to the games, do you?" Prompting Ramon to teach Ron - & me - something that came as a surprise. He spoke of a "gold card" - received by players with ten years MLB experience under their belt - enabling them - & a guest - to go to any stadium free of charge. Surprised, Ron could only interject, "Oh, you get to take someone with you?"

So used to talking to senior guests, Ron teased Ramon by saying he must have become a multi-millionaire from his playing days. He then asked him, "What's the most money you made in the big leagues?" When Ramon surpised him by saying it was $2.5 million, Ron could only add his standard response about him being "set for life," then. Ron was also impressed that Ramon's younger brother was working for Chrysler. He "got a good job," Ron said, adding, "That's fantastic."

Ron talked about the problem with baseball is too much weights. The players are trying to be He-Man. The prolem is certainly not umpires, who do a "great job."

Cowboy called &, as is his wont when speaking to a guest, said he was "always a big fan." At one point, Ron said, "We're taking more calls for Fernando Rodney."

Ron asked Ramon what happened to Joel Zumaya, answering the question himself before his guest could weigh in.

Lots of Tigers PBP throughout. When Alex informed Ron that Verlander, who had left the game in favor of Shane Greene, had given up two more runs, Ron asked, "Did he give up both runs?" To which Alex responded, "They were both charged to Verlander." Not happy with the answer, Ron said, "I didn't say 'charged.' Did he give up both himself?" When the beleaguered Alex said the runs had scored while Verlander was still pitching, the relentless cross-examiner put a bow on the matter by saying, "So they scored before Greene came in." This exchange reminded me of the time when, exasperated by Ron's many misstatements, I spoke to one of his screeners." Generating no sympathy, the affectless screener said, "Try working for him." 
Thanks for these recaps and analyses. They add to the Buzzboard's ongoing mission to chronicle the mystery and magic of Ron Cameron.

Those opening words from John McCulloch have imprinted themselves on my mind, too, the same way the most recent podcast openings have imprinted the words of the lady from Sterling Heights who is actually calling from southwest Colorado.

At the beginning, Ron talked about his inability to talk with Ramon the previous week, because of the "international situation." Apparently, Ron later found out that the State Department and Department of Homeland Security had issued alerts and advisories about making phone calls on the weekend to the Dominican Republic.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:55 pm

Momo wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:03 am
Bobbert wrote:
Midweek Memories

Interesting to see Ron’s weight lifting insight so far back

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:38 pm

I do hope that Mr. Positive that he & Alex are part of the inaugural class of Kidcat’s Ron Cameron Buzzboard HOF. The generous, big-hearted, mentor that he is, Ron will surely put aside his own HOF bitterness & be overjoyed to learn Alex, his Eve Harrington, rode his coattails directly into the HOF.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:24 pm

If there would be a Hall-Of-Fame ceremony with Ron in attendance, I can only imagine the repeated utterances of attendees saying "Ron, what are you doing here?"

Majik

Post by Majik » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:54 pm

ShempLives wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:24 pm
If there would be a Hall-Of-Fame ceremony with Ron in attendance, I can only imagine the repeated utterances of attendees saying "Ron, what are you doing here?"
Kidcat should call in this weekend and invite Siz to be keynote speaker at the big induction ceremony. Or pick up the tab for the dinner dance.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:54 pm

ShempLives wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:24 pm
Would that be Ron’s greatest thrill?

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:06 am

edj

Post by edj » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:11 am

Pre game morning thoughts!

Ron didn’t have a guest announced last week. Will he scrounge up one of his regulars, or will it be two hours of open lines?

Tigers are playing better. Will Ron even acknowledge that, and if so how much will he credit Jake Rogers? Combero is hitting .189, how many times will R Sizzle complain about him?

Ted Kulfan has given his grades on the Wings. Will Ron agree with his assessments?

Four Lions suspended for gambling, two of them have since been released. Has Ron ever gambled? That’s the important question.

A’s are likely moving to Vegas. How much time will Kurt spend on the history of that franchise?

Is Ron’s car fixed? Will that officer call in? Will Mr. Positive mention his induction into our Hall of Fame?

The actual sports questions make we wish Alex could be a guest today or tomorrow. His insight and opinion is always well appreciated.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:14 am

I'll have to miss today's show because I'll be at the Redford Theatre watching the Three Stooges.

A dictionary definition of "stooge" is "one who plays a subordinate or compliant role to a principal," so it's fair to say that Sportstalk with Ron Cameron has its own version of the Three Stooges:
  • Mr. Positive represents Moe, because he's the most aggressive of Ron's stooges.
  • Kurt represents Larry, because he's the most straightforward.
  • Cowboy represents Curly/Shemp/Joe Besser/Joe DeRita, because he's the most unpredictable.
And Ron represents a composite of Bud Jamison and Vernon Dent—people who try to act like authority figures, but spend most of their time dealing with the antics of the Stooges.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:17 am

edj wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:11 am
A’s are likely moving to Vegas. How much time will Kurt spend on the history of that franchise?
If that happens, it might help bring back Mark Wilson, who loves to talk about the wonders of Las Vegas.

1alexalway

Post by 1alexalway » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:39 am

radiofan1974 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:40 pm
1alexalway wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:03 pm
radiofan1974 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:41 pm
Kidcat wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:12 pm
Momo wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:33 am
Voting for the 2023 class of the MSHOF is now open. Inexplicably, Ron’s name is yet again nowhere to be found on the ballot. With his sky-high online popularity, maybe the Hall directors should consider including a people’s choice candidate.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 119371007/
Speaking of Hall of Fames .I am proud to announce the grand opening of the Kidcat Ron Cameron Buzzboard Hall of Fame.The first members to be enshrined,are Momo, Bobbert, Mr Positive and Alex. Willie108, Sparty89, radiofan 1974 and edj just came up short.On the Pete Rose banned for life from this hall are Cowboy, Luke, and of course Martin.They add nothing to the show or buzzboard.Congrats to the new members.
Wow, thanks for the induction. For a guy who started listening during Covid shut downs it’s really a dream come true! Perhaps we can see if coach Harbaugh has the “guts” to be our emcee and share some stories about scoop himself

Though with any induction, I must thank all our regular contributors as it’s a team effort for the dedication that we have and the sacrifice to be away from our families and the commitment it takes!

Perhaps the Fenton hotel would be honored to host this event! Pre show activities hosted by “ladies who trim” company with food provided by Rams Horn!

Quite an unexpected honor! Thanks for the nomination. Also, thanks to all the posters who listen each week and take time to share their thoughts. I always read the posts, and nothing gets by you guys. As the Buzzboard insider, I'll make sure I keep you guys informed
Always great information Alex, are you planning to be on anytime soon? Perhaps NFL draft weekend?
I plan on doing the show in the next couple weeks, hopefully in studio. I'll be in Las Vegas the weekend of the draft

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:58 am

This fictional HOF would be a perfect location for Ron’s fictional restaurant, a hot destination spot for his fictional audience members.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic