Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
ShempLives

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by ShempLives » Mon May 23, 2022 1:11 pm

Ron's "bathroom break" on May 22, 2022 was his first since the broadcast of January 16, 2021 on WPON which lasted just under 8 minutes. Martin, his WPON producer played various "oldies" in the interim.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Mon May 23, 2022 3:11 pm

edj wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:27 pm
lidoshuffle wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:23 pm
I for one will be glad when these useless posts about Ron Cameron stop...
Won’t happen until long after he dies. Ron is a legend.
Ron Cameron posts will not stop until Momo,says they stop.Ever since Momo was banned from Ron's show he has Ron Cameron living in his head 24/7.Momo listens to every show .He lives breathes and sleeps Ron,Cameron.This has resulted in,a cult following in which I am a proud member.We worship,at the alter of Ron Camerom.We take our direction,from our leader Momo.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon May 23, 2022 3:49 pm

Kidcat wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 3:11 pm
Ron Cameron posts will not stop until Momo,says they stop.Ever since Momo was banned from Ron's show he has Ron Cameron living in his head 24/7.Momo listens to every show .He lives breathes and sleeps Ron,Cameron.This has resulted in,a cult following in which I am a proud member.We worship,at the alter of Ron Camerom.We take our direction,from our leader Momo.
Show's over, folks. I'm thinking I gotten this good man, Ron Cameron, all wrong. He apparently has friends the world over, & his devotion to them is such that he's often the last one to see or talk to them.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/22c28112-7 ... a7f5b6b2ae

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Mon May 23, 2022 8:01 pm

Momo I would not consider Ron a friend.I never met the man and most likely never will.To me he is just a guy on the radio.By the same token I do not dislike the man.In fact I would not dislike him even if he banned me instead of you.Ron and You are a source of entertainment.Nothing more.Nothing less.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon May 23, 2022 8:55 pm

Kidcat wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:01 pm
Momo I would not consider Ron a friend.I never met the man and most likely never will.To me he is just a guy on the radio.By the same token I do not dislike the man.In fact I would not dislike him even if he banned me instead of you.Ron and You are a source of entertainment.Nothing more.Nothing less.
Kidcat, I wasn't suggesting that you thought of Ron as a friend. I was just presenting a view of Ron from an alternative universe. And, all joking aside, my interest in Ron long predated his (multiple) banning of me (something, btw, I don't take seriously). I previously posted how I once raised my voice in my calling days, going so far as calling him a liar. Not exactly a good "look." Fortunately, we all have this forum to opine on all that a character like Ron has to offer.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Tue May 24, 2022 8:38 am

Podcasts not up yet this week. Was intrigued by what led Luke to take over the show near the end of the third hour! More quality radio time from Ron and SportsTalk!

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Tue May 24, 2022 10:06 am

As I have said many times over, I find Ron intriguing person. Not sure if that’s the right word though.

He does a Sunday night pay to air show, that has us dedicated listeners and some callers sprinkled in. He lives in a hotel and sounds like he has most of adult life, and while his business have not done great he has had the cash or ways to get to cash to open up many business that have come and gone

He has “numbers” to sports people and while some are not very relevant he still has the connections to reach out to a Jim leyland, Jimmy D and local media folks when the darn maid has not thrown away numbers. Not sure what the process is for a media pass but it’s interesting that he qualifies for them as he mentions going to wings games that are not quite cheap

It’s perplexing how he does it, hitting the pavement to pay for air time and such especially when really these days advertisers and not contacted like that

. I know a bit of a broken record rant here. But I guess that’s part of the reason I listen pretty faithfully each Sunday, it’s entering in its own way and somewhat amazing how he does it :)

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Wed May 25, 2022 8:15 am

Listening to the podcasts, did I hear Producer Luke doing an ad read for Love My Pillow?!?! Way to go, Luke!

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed May 25, 2022 9:49 am

radiofan1974 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:06 am
As I have said many times over, I find Ron intriguing person. Not sure if that’s the right word though.

He does a Sunday night pay to air show, that has us dedicated listeners and some callers sprinkled in. He lives in a hotel and sounds like he has most of adult life, and while his business have not done great he has had the cash or ways to get to cash to open up many business that have come and gone

He has “numbers” to sports people and while some are not very relevant he still has the connections to reach out to a Jim leyland, Jimmy D and local media folks when the darn maid has not thrown away numbers. Not sure what the process is for a media pass but it’s interesting that he qualifies for them as he mentions going to wings games that are not quite cheap

It’s perplexing how he does it, hitting the pavement to pay for air time and such especially when really these days advertisers and not contacted like that

. I know a bit of a broken record rant here. But I guess that’s part of the reason I listen pretty faithfully each Sunday, it’s entering in its own way and somewhat amazing how he does it :)
Ron occasionally talks about his long game: "I'll never retire," "I've still got fire in the belly," "The show must go on" (when he's working while sick).

He also must keep up his self-described status as the longest running radio talk show host living, in history, etc.

I wrote an e-mail to Neal Rubin of the Detroit Free Press about a month ago suggesting a story about Ron. Neal's reply included this perceptive comment: "Ron is one of a kind. I think I’d be more surprised to hear he’s retired than I am to hear he’s still on the air."

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed May 25, 2022 12:13 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:49 am
I wrote an e-mail to Neal Rubin of the Detroit Free Press about a month ago suggesting a story about Ron. Neal's reply included this perceptive comment: "Ron is one of a kind. I think I’d be more surprised to hear he’s retired than I am to hear he’s still on the air."
It'll take an industrial-sized can opener to pry the mic away from Ron's cold, dead hands.

edj

Post by edj » Wed May 25, 2022 3:17 pm

uncleb67 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:15 am
Listening to the podcasts, did I hear Producer Luke doing an ad read for Love My Pillow?!?! Way to go, Luke!
That's nothing new. They also air on WLQV.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri May 27, 2022 12:47 pm

Ron was talking this past week about the demise of Sports Fans' Journal. As usual, it's a good idea to fact-check what he says.

He said he was running it all by himself, but editor Larry Paladino might have a different opinion. Also, he didn't have time to sell ads for the publication, but he did have time to open a new restaurant. And his buddy Keith Crain didn't think SFJ was successful enough to buy.

And I'll leave it to others to comment on Ron's "almost a no-lose situation" comment about his new restaurant. :)

Detroit Free Press, 4/5/90

Detroit News, 4/8/90

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri May 27, 2022 1:49 pm

Good stuff, Bobbert! With Ron, it’s always wise to remember Bob Page’s line about not knowing anyone else who, after so many years, never gets better at his job. I would add to that, someone who never gains any insight. I wonder how many restaurants Ron has actually had over the years. What with this seemingly permanent extended unemployment, I think his days as a restaurateur must finally be over.

Majik

Post by Majik » Fri May 27, 2022 9:39 pm

Ron should have his buddy Gabe Kapler come on the show on Sunday.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat May 28, 2022 9:25 am

Whither Ray Scott, who hasn't been on since 1/2 (& whose return was promised by the playoffs, which, in Ron-talk, I took to mean before March)?! I know that Ron mentioned that he misplaced Ray's number (generously not blaming his maid), but Ray's got two books to sell. Everyone knows that, other than Oprah's Book Club, nothing moves book more than an appearance on Sports Talk with Ron Cameron, starring Ron Cameron. So if you're reading this Coach Scott, please contact Ron & give him your contact information.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic